• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Little Unico

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(If you watched this as a kid, did you get nightmares?)

Hell yes I did! I suppose this film has the distinction of being My First Anime, but it's probably a good thing I was unaware of that when I "got into" anime later, because I might've gone screaming into the distance. Laughing My poor mother rented it for my sisters and I when we were 6, 4, and 2 and then she and Dad ended up with all three of us in their bed for a couple of nights thereafter. Maybe I was an overly sensitive child, but I remember it as one of the scariest things in my childhood. (Along with that trippy Raggedy Anne and Andy movie with the French doll and the boat and the weird stairs in black and white...anyone know what I'm talking about?)
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is an incredibly cheap show.

Two words: Studio Deen. Wink
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Quote:
(If you watched this as a kid, did you get nightmares?)

Hell yes I did!

Note to self: Revise plan to use Unico for babysitting purposes.

Princess_Irene wrote:
(Along with that trippy Raggedy Anne and Andy movie with the French doll and the boat and the weird stairs in black and white...anyone know what I'm talking about?)

I have not seen that movie, but I did work with a director who got his start in animation working on that film (Mr. Tom Sito).
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that Gyo was amusing, it's been on my to watch/read list for a while.

I had tried to watch CPC when it first came out, but the censoring they had was...distracting, I wouldn't mind so much if it had been a little black bar but they had either a giant beam of light or cloud of mist(it's been a while) that took up nearly half the screen at times.

@Joe Hughes Going out of business sales are wonderful and terrible at the same time. I managed to get a slat wall display myself, so wonderful. Your collection is off to a great start^_^
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey I like the idea of getting shelves from a video rental store, I should have done that when all the Blockbusters bit the dust around here. Your collection looks cool like that! Smile
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Hey I like the idea of getting shelves from a video rental store, I should have done that when all the Blockbusters bit the dust around here. Your collection looks cool like that! Smile

When I worked at Movie Gallery during college, people would always ask for them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Hiiro no Kakera was the yawn and weak series overall from the Spring Season and I'm considering holding it off for the part 2 for the upcoming Fall.

Mm, regarding the collection, nice Madoka accessories, FMP, and Bakuman stuff. Speaking of which, I should probably starting watching the series soon as Bakuman 3 will be airing soon this Fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I admit that "Cat Planet Cuties" sounds interesting. For me,at least,one of the most interesting thing here is that the CIA are portrayed as good guys while Japanese intelligence are working with the bad guys. I don't know if it's trying to appeal to Americans by doing this,but I'm not going to protest this one bit.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I disagree.

Cat Planet Cuties is a very weak ecchi show, even the disappointing Maken-ki! is better.

You make that shelf worthy and Sekirei rent worthy? Confused

All these ecchi shows are much better storywise and amount of nudity (some already released, some upcoming):

Sekirei (both seasons)
Freezing
High School DxD
Queen's Blade (2 seasons) + Rebellion
Ikki Tousen (entire franchise)
Qwaser of Stigmata (both seasons)

Everybody has different tastes & opinions but I don't have to agree with them. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Note to self: Revise plan to use Unico for babysitting purposes.

Laughing I think I'd go with something where people don't spoiler[ get turned into big blocky things, force marched out, and turned into building materials. Wink ] "The Chipmunk Adventure" was a popular choice around here.

erinfinnegan wrote:

I have not seen that movie, but I did work with a director who got his start in animation working on that film (Mr. Tom Sito).

Good to know it wasn't a fever dream! (And good job, Mr. Tom Sito - I saw it once and I remember it very clearly, so obviously something was done right!) Mom rented that one during the oh-so-fun time when all three of us came down with strep and double ear infections, so I always wondered if we made it up...
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice shelf life!

And nice shelves. Can anyone tell me what the series with the Japanese characters is? It looks like a bootleg but it's too blurry to tell. I'm curious.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I disagree.

Cat Planet Cuties is a very weak ecchi show, even the disappointing Maken-ki! is better.

. . .

All these ecchi shows are much better storywise and amount of nudity (some already released, some upcoming):

Sekirei (both seasons)
Freezing
High School DxD
Queen's Blade (2 seasons) + Rebellion
Ikki Tousen (entire franchise)
Qwaser of Stigmata (both seasons)

Everybody has different tastes & opinions but I don't have to agree with them. Smile

True, but I don't have to agree with you, either. While you have a point on the nudity (except for Ikki Tousen, which didn't show any actual nudity in the two seasons I saw), I flatly disagree that any of these are better story-wise. Except for Sekirei, I've seen some or all of the rest of the franchises, and none of them have writing on the same level as CPC, much less better.

IOW, I mostly agree with Erin's comments, including the bit about how it was good enough that it didn't need the otaku-pandering elements to be entertaining. That being said, I didn't find the nudity to be as much of a distraction, and I did find it to have enough rewatch value that I bought the Blu-Ray for it.

We also should have a regular review for this one coming up soon (written by Carl), so I'll reserve further comments for that response thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
While the first episode or two of Cat Planet was pleasantly off-formula for a boob show, I found it rapidly raced backwards to full-formula almost immediately afterwards.
DarkChrestomanci

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with what Erin said about Hiiro no Kakera. In about the fourth episode I had started reboarding the entire thing in my mind.

Which made me very sad since I was excited about the show when they first announced they were making it.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
Nice shelf life!

And nice shelves. Can anyone tell me what the series with the Japanese characters is? It looks like a bootleg but it's too blurry to tell. I'm curious.

Not really sure which one you're talking about as I don't see any Japanese characters except on the figma box. The only one I can't tell is the one to the right of the NGE boxes. The characters look like they're from Full Metal Panic, but I've never seen that box art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4