• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amimaru (digital manga).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toni S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Hello there! I'm Toni from Amimaru, here to serve you! (`・ω・´)ゞ

Amimaru is a digital manga reading service on iPad where we are trying to bring as many manga to our readers as possible. Currently, we don't have that much content, but we're trying our best to increase our library every single day. One of our biggest obstacles is the fact that we want to get our titles available worldwide, not just in a few countries ... and that's really really hard!

I would love to answer to your questions, feedback, requests or almost anything! Especially requests, since our team would like to know what kind of manga you want to read. I can't promise you anything, but I will read and check every request we get, so if you have anything you would like to get localized or just want to support, just tell me, and I'll forward it. Smile

We are also planning multiple events with the authors where readers can get part of. For example, QA sessions with the mangaka or something similar. If you have ideas how we should get involved with authors, be free to share them too. We are manga & anime fans here at Amimaru ourselves, and what we really want to do is "open" this industry more, so readers and authors can get closer.

Please download our free app on App Store and join our Facebook community as well. ^^
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Since this one got delayed in getting posted, I am giving it a friendly bump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
LOCALIZE THE MASTER KEATON MANGA.

Also hi. Very Happy
Toni S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
LOCALIZE THE MASTER KEATON MANGA.

Also hi. Very Happy

Well, hello there. Very Happy

That's a really unique choice, and that's why I would like to know more! I googled the title, and it seems like it was pretty popular back in the day. Unless you mean the sequel, the Master Keaton Remaster? ^^

In any case, what made you like that series personally, if I may ask?

Last edited by Toni S. on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
Greetings Toni. See if you can grab Kabocha/Gainax "Top wo Nerae! GunBuster" manga. It's published by Kadokawa. I've translated in English up to the fourth tankoubon and you can have my scripts!!
Toni S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Greetings Toni. See if you can grab Kabocha/Gainax "Top wo Nerae! GunBuster" manga. It's published by Kadokawa. I've translated in English up to the fourth tankoubon and you can have my scripts!!

Greetings! I also thank you for your request and offer. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Could you tell me what do you like about Top wo Nerae, and would you see it get popular outside Japan as well?

Recently we have been searching for new translators, so your timing is magically appropriate! I will send you a PM about this, but for other readers as well: if you're interested in translation work, just contact me by PM and send me a sample work of your translation skills as well. Smile

E: Got some new information from my colleagues, so I had to change many aspects of my post. Sorry about that. ^^'
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
Hey Toni! Haven't been on the forum in a few days. Top wo Nerae! GunBuster hasn't had very much exposure outside of Japan (VHS release in the states back when anime was still mostly unknown and a DVD/BD theatrical release that cut out a lot of folks because of the price) but its a total classic. I've been buying the collected volumes of the Kabocha adaptation over the last couple years and decided to translate it as a side project. I'll send you a sample of my work.
Toni S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Ok, that's good to know, thank you! I'll tell your request to the higher ups, let's see what we can do. ^^

I also sent you a PM about that translation.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Toni S. wrote:

Well for one thing, it's written by one of my all-time favorite writers & mangaka, Naoki Urasawa. The very same guy that created Monster, Billy Bat, Pluto, and 20th Century Boys. Unlike many of his other works, however, Master Keaton was never given an official English release.

My personal experience was with the Master Keaton anime. The local comic book shop had the first volume for rent, so I gave it a spin out of sheer curiosity and fell absolutely in love with it. To this day, it's in my top ten favorite anime series ever, and Keaton himself is my all-time favorite anime character. To get a grasp of what kind of person Keaton really is, imagine someone who is like MacGuyver, Indiana Jones, and Sherlock Holmes all rolled into one, and yet who still manages to be irresistibly humble and charming. The episodes are all self-contained stories about Keaton's various adventures, and range from dramatic, to action-packed, to even comedic at times. Yet everything is still very much based in reality. There are no over-the-top physics breaking moments and all the characters are very much human beings.

So that's why I love the Master Keaton series, and would enjoy being able to check out the manga from which it originates.

That sound good? Smile
Toni S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Toni S. wrote:

That sound good? Smile

Sorry for my late reply, but yeah, that was very good, thank you! ^^

I really see your enthusiasm with this series, so I checked things a little more! It is indeed famous, and would probably sell well, but unfortunately it looks like Urasawa doesn't like his works published digitally for now, so that itself makes this request very difficult. Sad I'm still impressed with your story, so I'll get in touch with you personally if we ever get chance to grab this one, and we're trying our best. Smile

But still... MacGyver, Indiana Jones and Sherlock Holmes all rolled into one man... It just sounds too good to be missed. Anime cry
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Keaton is awesome. It's one of those Japanese stories that has the "made to be read" feeling to it. The anime adaptation was nice from what I saw (two discs or so) but reading adds more of a thrill to it, just like Monster.
Toni S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I believe manga is a lot better too! The way you two describes it makes me very interested. Very Happy

Now, I want to tell you why I exactly ask requests! Japanese publishers really want to see that foreign fans actually want something we ask from them. Publishers want to see some kinds of proof of that as well. That's the reason we hope to gather requests, so when we ask them about the series, we can show, for example, this forum thread.

If you want to have a request, I think we have best chances if 1) none of the bigger companies have already published it in English/digital form and 2) if the author does not absolutely deny digital market. If you don't know these kinds of details, that's OK too! We still check every request, and hope to have more. Wink

And since this is a retail forum, I think some small advertising is not the worst thing to do! If you have time, you should check out our free app on App Store; lately many things have changed, and we have released a new content weekly. There's still a lot of titles with free previews too, so you can just read some manga pages for free! I can also tell you that we're going to release more manga next week... ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1