• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Toonami Anime Ranks #1 in Young Adult Demographics

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"It did OKAY. Not bad but not measurably better than the week before. We need to do better. Hopefully we will!"

Probably because it didn't FEEL like Toonami, from what I've seen on the response threads on the net, and my own feelings personally. It just felt like standard Adult Swim with TOM inserted in. Needs at least a few classics to be Toonami
zeonozero

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Great attitude. They got what they thought they would get, and now they want more. Great marketing and press, hopefully people will now tell more people to watch since it had is start that they were hoping for
nhat

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
What do they expect airing shows at 12 at midnight? Show some good shows during the day!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
do they think by just add a name "Toonami" on the time block will increase that anime's viewership?
amagee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
As someone who used to watch Toonami, I found the manner in which they addressed introductions, what's upcoming, and other non-advertising in-between bits to be very nostalgic to the old Toonami. A lot of people are talking about it seeming simple and old style but that's kind of what they were going for. In addition to that, a lot of the original target audience of Toonami has grown up some. Something designed to capture our attention then probably doesn't have quite the same effect as it did before.

I'd be very curious, however, to see how the 1:30 - 3:00 slot shows did. They kept their old Adult Swim continuity episode wise so I wonder how they faired.

Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins were refreshing new additions (not that their subject material can ever be described as such). I intend to watch them with gusto.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
If it comes on in a better time, then it will probably do better.

Yeah, its not like the old days, but they dont have much money and this was the best they could do for now. We cant just bitch and whine about, then were no better than kids that complain cause mommy and daddy couldnt afford to get a ticket to California Adventure along with the Disneyland ticket, even though it took all of daddy's paycheck just to get to Disneyland. Of course its not gonna be perfect at first, but we need to keep supporting it, not complaining about it, and then things will get how (most of us) want it to be. If we only complain and show no support, then this will end in failure and we'll never get a third chance

Still, it wouldnt hurt if the network executives helped it a little more. Like making it start a few hours earlier
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a little frustrating that many people who tuned in were not even counted due to the whole Nelson box thing...not to say that counting them would lead to OUTSTANDING rating but still would be more than what we got. Here's hoping it continues to do well though.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It will only go down from here in 12 to 24 week when they rerun the crap out of those shows
tab2gku

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
did anybody else feel like slitting your wrist after watching toonami? i mean the only show that wasn't completely depressing was fullmetal.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
"It did OKAY. Not bad but not measurably better than the week before. We need to do better. Hopefully we will!"

Probably because it didn't FEEL like Toonami, from what I've seen on the response threads on the net, and my own feelings personally. It just felt like standard Adult Swim with TOM inserted in. Needs at least a few classics to be Toonami

I disagree. I don't want to want to watch those old shows again; I watched them enough when they were on Toonami in the afternoon. Toonami has to evolve, and it needs to stay relevant. I felt like it was Toonami, and I will feel that even more once they can increase their budget.

I would be very disappointed if Toonami simply preyed on our nostalgia without offering us anything new. What would be the point then?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Most of the shows that were on the old Toonami are shows that I now own on DVD. I wouldn't waste time watching stuff at 1am on TV that I could watch any other time at my own leisure. I liked these new shows and I hope they get more.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Some sort of nostalgia would be nice but the only thing I can think of that would be classic and still be considered new would be if they were to get Lupin the Third back on and have the shows Funimation didn't get to air, if there were any. I do though think that they need to not rely on the shows of the past and continue to move forward by showing the best of what Japan has to offer: Panty and Stocking, One Piece etc.

I for one enjoyed Deadman Wonderland. I'm not huge on Casshern but I'll leave the channel on while it's airing and just watch something else on my computer so Toonami can get my vote of continuance. I just hope that the viewing audience don't become apathetic to the cause of getting better Saturday Night viewing and drop off before anything good can come of it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think some nostalgia is OK, like showing reruns of say Bebop & Outlaw Star at 3am is OK but the first at least 2-3 hours of the block should really be new (or more recent) content. And yeah it would help if it started earlier. Again hopefully if the ratings do improve, or at least stay stable williams street will consider giving Toonami all of Saturday Night [Adult Swim]'s slots by 2013. I mean starting at 9pm would probably help them get higher ratings then starting at midnight.
Jawa Talisien

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
to quote kougeru
Quote:
Probably because it didn't FEEL like Toonami

i think that had to do with the Adult swim logo in the lower right corner of the screen.

i do agree about it not feeling like toonami, But i think thats because 50% of the shows were recycled adult swim classics. (cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell, full metal alchamist) they need to add a good comedy, maybe if they dropped one of these shows and added tenchi muyo? (i assume they have the rights to run it seen they did on that april fools day thing)

i think they need to drop the bug bot and random robot toonami spots too and focus on Tom and the Absolution. i never did like the bug bots. from what i saw of the toonami logo commercials they were useing stuff from 3rd and 4th generation Tom.

what was the female AI's name? Sara? dint she use to play a bit more of a roll in the whole thing too?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Jawa Talisien wrote:
to quote kougeru
Quote:
Probably because it didn't FEEL like Toonami

i think that had to do with the Adult swim logo in the lower right corner of the screen.

i do agree about it not feeling like toonami, But i think thats because 50% of the shows were recycled adult swim classics. (cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell, full metal alchamist) they need to add a good comedy, maybe if they dropped one of these shows and added tenchi muyo? (i assume they have the rights to run it seen they did on that april fools day thing)

i think they need to drop the bug bot and random robot toonami spots too and focus on Tom and the Absolution. i never did like the bug bots. from what i saw of the toonami logo commercials they were useing stuff from 3rd and 4th generation Tom.

what was the female AI's name? Sara? dint she use to play a bit more of a roll in the whole thing too?

Nope they DO NOT have the rights to Tenchi Muyo or any of the other show from the April 1st broadcast back (yet), they were only allowed to air those that night because of deals they made with the companies, why do you think they pimped the DVDs during the commercial Break

Demarco explained why they couldn't bring back S.A.R.A.H. at the moment. Again it was (sadly) due to budget (and possibly time) restrictions.

They will however continue to work on new content like new bumps, game reviews, and new mash-up videos like they had in the old days ( you know Broken Dreams, Mad Rhetoric, and what not.)

Also the [Adult Swim] logo I'm the corner isn't that big of a thing old Toonami Broadcasts had the Cartoon Network Logo in the corner.

But yeah I do agree wouldn't hurt to air some more light hearted shows later on. I like that [Adult Swim] Toonami is trying to be more serious, but don't wanna be too serious or you'll just make everybody emo/depressed.

Still though i'll defiantly be tuning in every weekend and hoping for the best *knock on wood*

Last edited by Soundmonkey44 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8