• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article on Anime Piracy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
"Bootleg DVDs Also a Concern" ?

should be the MAIN concern if you ask me. first stop people illegitemently making profit from your property, then go after fansubbers.
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the previous poster on this.They need to crackdown all the illegal material and dealers first.It is getting to the point of being disgusting to see constant fakes.I try to help my local retialer to watch out for fakes and what not cause he is not familiar with such things.
alanimefreak24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
ok first i have sevral points to make on this subject yes bootleg's are wrong but people buy bootlegs anime for one reason the price not every one is rich and can afford 100 dollars plus for a series or like 30 dollars for 3-5 ep of a show and some people dont want to spend alot of money on a show they have never seen mabey if the compnays thought about anime fans and not there 2millon dollars homes and cars lol it may slow down some. also this is something else as for fansubs if it on tv already what is the differance if it on tv you can tape it for your own use i dont mean to sell it but most of the fan subs are on japan tv it just the fansubs add the english subtitles to it what is wrong with that it shown for people on tv as long as you dont sell it fan subbing is not wrong plus some fan subs tv shows are not even aired here only in japan so what are we to do if we want to see a show? those are just my 2 cents but what do i know i am just a anime fan with out alot of money Smile~ Quote of the day ~ " I want you to bear my childern ....SLAP!" Laughing
Seir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
I have to know if something is good before I throw money at it. If I can't see a show or a movie first to see if I like it... I am not wasting my money. If they want to get rid of fansubs, then they might as well make it illegal to rent from a video store or buy a used copy of something. In any case, they will lose me as a customer.

I'm an anime fan, but not enough of one to spend money I don't have on something that might be horrible.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd say that the fact that a growing percentage of anime fans seem to be turning to bootlegs for their purchases is something that needs to be addressed first off. It misdirects the money generated by those fans who are actually willing to pay for anime, not to mention the fact that there's really not a whole lot of education on the subject floating around the anime community (mostly because...yeah, many that do know the difference are seedy bastards that really don't care to tell others).

alanimefreak24 wrote:
ok first i have sevral points to make on this subject yes bootleg's are wrong but people buy bootlegs anime for one reason the price not every one is rich and can afford 100 dollars plus for a series or like 30 dollars for 3-5 ep of a show

Anime is a privelage, not a right. If you can't afford it, then find a way or—believe it or not—go without. You'll live, trust me.

alanimefreak24 wrote:
and some people don't want to spend alot of money on a show they have never seen mabey if the compnays thought about anime fans and not there 2millon dollars homes and cars lol it may slow down some.

I've addressed this before, but most anime distributors don't have a choice as to how much they charge for anime. When something like Friends or Family Guy or The Simpsons comes out on DVD at $30 for an entire season, they can charge that low because the show's already turned its full profit from TV & elsewhere, and it's being put out by a company that really IS a multibillion dollar powerhouse in the North American entertainment industry. For these shows, the money is all made before the DVD release even streets. An anime distributor is usually much, much smaller, and cannot afford to charge $30 for an entire series because they already owe a lot of money from buying the North American rights, translating, dubbing, marketing, creating the packaging, and soforth. They're already in the hole financially with every anime they release, so their hands are tied as to how much they can charge and how many episodes they can put on a DVD while still turning a profit.

There's also the occasional problem of how much the original Japanese rights holders will let them get away with. The Japanese market has this occasional fear of its own consumers importing anime from the US, because anime over in Japan is often around the equivalent of $60US for two episodes per disc (and you're complaining about how the stuff's released over here!?). So sometimes, they'll hold the North American distributor "by the balls" so to speak and force them to conform to a certain type of release method (see: GANTZ at two episodes per disc in R1, or possibly even FLCL's six episodes over three DVDs, for that matter).

Of course, anyone that opens their eyes a little will see that the situation is improving. Just a couple years ago, the "standard" release format for a 26-episode series was eight DVDs (and before that, VHS tapes were about $30 for two episodes in only one language...the thought of putting up with that alone oughta shut you up about how "DVDs are overcharged"). Now it's six or seven DVDs, because the distros have grown financially to the point that they actually can cut us a deal and lower the number of discs we have to buy. 13-episode series are experiencing a similar drop at the moment, from four DVDs to three (not as concrete as the 26-episode format, but getting there).

But then...if bootlegging continues to grow as it seems to be doing, we might go to nine DVDs for every 26-episode series released here just to make up for the profit loss. Would you want that? No? Then quit defending the bootlegs and try buying an R1 release every so often!

alanimefreak24 wrote:
also this is something else as for fansubs if it on tv already what is the differance if it on tv you can tape it for your own use i don't mean to sell it but most of the fan subs are on japan tv it just the fansubs add the english subtitles to it what is wrong with that

The companies that own the production & distribution rights for the anime get paid for a TV run. They get jack when you distribute fansubs.

alanimefreak24 wrote:
plus some fan subs tv shows are not even aired here only in japan so what are we to do if we want to see a show?

Read. Find reviewers you tend to agree with and read what they have to say. Seems to work well enough for the "average people" wanting to make sure they'll like a movie before dropping money at the theatre or video store, so what's stopping anime fans from doing the same? Just spoiled perhaps? Then get over it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Seir wrote:
I have to know if something is good before I throw money at it. If I can't see a show or a movie first to see if I like it... I am not wasting my money.

same, i dont have much money to throw around since im still only a high school student, so i download to "sample" it. then if i REALLY like it ill hunt it down at a convention and buy it as cheap as i can but still the legit R1 release.
bubble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

alanimefreak24 wrote:
also this is something else as for fansubs if it on tv already what is the differance if it on tv you can tape it for your own use i don't mean to sell it but most of the fan subs are on japan tv it just the fansubs add the english subtitles to it what is wrong with that

The companies that own the production & distribution rights for the anime get paid for a TV run. They get jack when you distribute fansubs.

...also, some of those series are only available on pay-per-view in Japan, or premium channels... or :gasp: on DVD. So people have to pay for them even in Japan to see them at all.

Aw, what am I saying? I'm such a hypocrite, downloading fansubs myself, then going off on them here. 'Course I do buy legit anime DVDs; most of my allowance goes into anime DVDs. I should go delete those series now.

Like a mantra: "I don't need fansubs, I don't need fansubs, I don't need fansubs."

...The main defenses I've heard for fansubs is that they're in a greyer area morally than bootlegs and they serve as some amount of advertisement.

"I don't need fansubs, I don't need fansubs."

It would be lying to say I don't want fansubs. At least my two favorite fansubbed series have now been licensed apparently.

EDIT: I had the willpower to delete them all. Yay me! Now, if I could just find out the release dates for sure, one I don't know and the others they keep changing. And some aren't licensed yet!

Last edited by bubble on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't rely on what other people say about something. Everyone has different tastes. Yes, I download fansubs... a lot, as a matter of fact. But anything I like I put on my list of things to buy, so that once I have to money and it's out in stores here I can seek it out. I would never sell anything I downloaded, just like I would never buy something that is pirated.

Unfortunately not everyone does that... so I can understand how the companies might feel. In the end, no matter what anyone does or how many people are sued, distribution of material over the internet will continue. It's like a war on drugs or terrorism... it cannot be won. As long as people want something, it will be there for them to take.
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote
There's a mistake in the article:

Quote:
...and even programs such as “Naruto,” currently on air in Japan and slated for future U.S. release.

As if Naruto will ever get licensed
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:19 am Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:
As if Naruto will ever get licensed
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It will; either one of the competitors for the license will finally cough up the dough for it or the Japanese producers will lower the price tag on it upon the realisation that they won't get what they want for it.

Also, the smileys...one is enough...less is preferred, though, especially of that particular (useless and stupid) one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
I just had a Daja-vu here.
Stitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad to see they are looking into new ways of distributing anime.
As it is now, it has a very big fanbase throughout the world and the availability in the past have been left behind by the giant leap the fanbase has taken, but with current technology this should and will change.
I myself am a poor student and I have to turn every dime thrice, yet even so I manage to safe up for DVDs, imports, because where I'm from, there is only a very select few anime DVDs that have been officially released, and those I have bought as well.

I don't mind paying over 80 Euro's for a DVD (Usually those are the collector's edition), if your a fan, then be a TRUE fan, safe up and buy the DVDs wether it be at your local retailer or import/export distribution companies like Archonia http://www.archonia.com/, cdJapan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/, Play-Asia http://www.play-asia.com/, which sell in such huge quantities that if they where selling bootlegs they would have been taken down long ago, Archonia for examples distributes over 80 countries, there's many ways to pay for it, take Play-Asia for example, you can even send them money through email with moneybookers system.
Then there's the conventions even though some bad retailers have been found, alot of conventions will submit retailers through a screening and I've been on conventions where retailers selling bootlegs have been send away and reported so legal actions can be taken against them.

I myself understand how devastating piracy can be for a company, as why I am back to being a student, yet none the less the field I have chosen has just as big a problem with piracy, which is computer games as a game designer I understand that all to well.

Yes I watch fansubs as well, I buy each and everyone that's available on offical DVD releases and in the past VHS tapes. Even so, I just as easily buy DVDs I have not seen as fansubs, I must admit, usually not for a high price as 80 Euro's and if I can't find a lower priced one I go do some research about the anime, there's so many information about the anime across the net that can give you general information about the anime, Anime News Network, AnimeNfo, to help you make a decision, I'm now at a point I don't care what the anime is about, if it's anime I'll buy it, it's a huge bay of inspiration for me and I want to support the business.

It's not going so well as you might think it is, animators and cellshaders etc. don't get paid that much and a lot are either still living at home or being supported otherwise or have to give up and find another job or go back to a student like myself. Which is an even greater risk since it's even more difficult to find a job when your so highly qualified these days.
So I'm very glad that for example ADV is now able to support financially companies to create anime, which will ensure that animes will continue to be made.

Animes create game offsprings (RahXephon, .Hack, Naruto and soon to be released Full Metal Alchemist to but name a few quick ones) so supporting the anime business interms will help my own field these fields have relation to other fields for example the Manga but also physical objects as toys, keychains, clothing industry you name it all thrive on the other.

So when they will offer other forms of distribution of anime for example a pay-per-view online system (which would be awesome) we wouldn't need no fansubs anymore, you can watch a few episodes (or all of them) like that and buy the DVD when it's released, although I think they should release it at the same time, and take away Region codes, that just plain bites and it's probable why it all started anyways.

So think about it some more when your downloading your latest fansub and in the mean time, safe up your money and buy released DVDs to support the business, in the end, they are the once that bring it to you!
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
another reason why people download is because it takes so freaken long for something to get here. 1 reason is dubbing, the other one is comeptition between companies to get something. (dont worry as much as i would like to do so, i wont turn this into a dub-bashing post)

so here is TMBounty_Hunter's almost Perfect Solution!

IF we had more communication and cooperation between the comapnies, we could get almost simultaneous broadcasts of new anime episodes worldwide. it is entirely possible. have the comapnies agree on who is licensing what title BEFORE the airing of any episodes, and when that's done the rest should be easy. if they cooperate, the North American and even European or other places get thier copy of the episodes to be aired ahead of time, have it subbed in the language needed, and air it at an appropriate timeslot for the timezone. this is entirely possible! all the episodes are ready well ahead of thier air date, and it wont take long to get a copy half way around the world. and with official cooperation the translators can have access to the scripts which will make thier life a whole lot easier and the translations more accurate. and fansubbers have proven that then can sub in record time, so thats no problem. now the ONLY problems i see with this that the companies wouldnt want to this because they usually jump on the popular stuff and what they think the wider audience would like. (as someone on another forum put it: "They license Saikano and not Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, must be the guns"). the other problem being that the rest of the world doesnt have enough television networks to support the HUGE flow of new anime shows. this way we wont have to download, we get to see the show before we buy it, and the DVDs should come around about 5-7 month later with the dubs to satisfy everyone

feel free to poke at my almost Perfect Solution with a pointy stick of disagreement
alanimefreak24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
first i like to say i dont support bootlegs dvd's 2nd thing i like to say yes i am guilty of getting fansubs but if i like the show and it is released here on dvd i will buy it like first on my list is Inuyusha also Full metal alchemist (when ever it get out on dvd) 3rd i like TMBounty_Hunter idea so there wont be any poking if it on my part Smile great idea ! ~Phrase of the day ~ "My wind scar had no affect on bootleg dvds! all right IRON REAPER SOUL STEALER!"
Akumaphyre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I just had a Daja-vu here.

Exactly. Lets not got through this again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2