• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mysterious Girlfriend X (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Plot Summary: Akira is a normal high school boy, but he nevertheless impulsively licks some drool left by the mysterious transfer student Mikoto. The next day he falls asleep with an inexplicable fever. After five days Mikoto suddenly comes to visit, and makes him consume her drool. The fever instantly vanishes, and Mikoto explains that he's suffering from "love sickness." She can transmit emotions through her drool, and the two of them are now bound together.

12 Episodes
Romance, Comedy, Slice Of Life

Ep. 1
pleasantly suprised, given Hoods Entertainent's history with doing overly ecchi series i'm really glad they stayed faithful to the manga and didn't fill it with fanservice, as well as staying faithful to the art style and general artistic feel of the series, the manga does have an old school kinda feel to it with the art so i'm glad they didn't modernise/sharpen it up

as for the story, it has been several years since i read the beginning of MGX but to the best of my knowledge it was a faithful adaptation of the story, except when i realised spoiler[panty scissors never made an appearance! i'm sure they appeared in the oneshot, which i believe is what the first episode was an adaptation of], although spoiler[i think that part of the oneshot may have been included in the ep 2 preview, so i think panty scissors may have been cut from this episode for time, since they seem to still be including them, thankfully]

Last edited by Volibear on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be truthful, Manyuu Hikenchou and Seikon no Qwaser were both filled to the brim with ridiculous amounts of ecchi to begin with, so it's not as if Hoods was making material up for their adaptations. Hell, but premises for the stories revolve around breasts. For MGX, I just hope this series give the story some real direction, otherwise we're in for a ride to Disappointment Town. Even a bad story is better than absolutely nothing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* CR has delayed stream for this just like Fate/Zero today. Going to check out episode 1 tomorrow although I heard the manga is really good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
now tell me those people came up with this?

yea after seeing those pics of girlfriend no way i watching due whole saliva/drool issues yea i got standare too ya know.

only way i might re-think if either dub it or less of that saliva stuff.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, hold on a second. You mean to tell me that teenagers are actually interested in sex? I find that hard to believe...

Show, you had me at pollination.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Well animation looks kind of awkward, looks old school and the dreams had some pretty heavy cg in it, I am willing to see how it goes, for some reason the music was drawing me. Now the drool made me feel kind of sick, and I find Urabe's explanation that she is nothing special to be suspicious. But I do like Urabe's character, I find something indeering about her being an oddball, the hair covering the face, and her voice. This does look like something that I would like to see more of.

Oh, and "Star Mars".
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the whole thing is oddball - refreshingly so, I thought. It's certainly going to be in contention to be one of the remaining three series that I'm going to allow myself to follow this season. (Continuing Bodacious Space Pirates and Fate/Zero 2 are givens, Queen's Blade Rebellion is a probable, and Accel World and Sankarea are also in consideration.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked it for being oddball and quirky. Urabe is not your normal girl, as her lack of fashion sense (hair covering her eyes) which so many kids put so much stock on, her odd behaviors in class or her space saucer charm on her bag obviously imply. I also liked the VA that was playing her. The old school art style is not a turn off to me and I kind of liked it. Not sure about quality as some parts looked a bit rough. The drool wouldn't bother me except for how it was visually presented. It looks like some kind of slime and kinda of gross. If they dwell on that too much I think it might distract from other parts of the story. The spoiler[buckets of drool she spit up at the end was a bit much. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to barf or laugh or maybe barfoutloud?]
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Deffinantly glad Sentai Picked this (& Kids On The Slope) up, looking forward to buying it on DVD, and probably check out at least the first episode on Crunchyroll's stream of it. Very Happy
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Man I don't think I can continue watching this anime. I read around 10 manga chapters but I always felt queasy in all the drool scenes. The anime makes the feeling worse Sad. Its the same problem I had in elementary/ middle school where every time blood was mentioned, I always got this weird sick feeling that I can feel the blood moving in my body. Its hard to explain but those were bad memories....
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
except when i realised spoiler[panty scissors never made an appearance! i'm sure they appeared in the oneshot, which i believe is what the first episode was an adaptation of]

They did appear -- when Urabue turned suddenly on the time they first walked home together you got a flash of them. Then again they appear in the ending credits. I came here to ask WTF is up with those?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well it definitely is unique and pleasantly odd in many ways. First the art style -- it really works for me. Mixing the "old school" (as everyone is calling it here) with 3D CGI gives a remarkable new feel to it. And what really helps is the body styles seem incredibly natural. I don't think that part of it is old-school -- they often took cartoonish liberties back in the day. Look at the girl doing the broad jump and her teacher for a great example.

For me what really does it is that Akira manages to be something more than a stuttering terrified nose bleeding ball of twitch when it actually comes to the point of asking the girl he's with out. 99 out of 100 animes would have him stammering well into episode 300 urk urk g-g-g-g-g. * Now THAT is frickin odd. What's a little saliva between lovers?

So if we do get a consummated horizontal love scene out of this anime I will be quite pleased. I don't expect it and I don't think it is essential but I do hope they go there.

* - Keichi didn't manage to nail Belldandy even after three years of living with her. Never did actually. That set the standard I think.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy,

Once they became well, not boyfriend-girlfriend, but... interested in one another, the saliva thing was a lot less weird. It's just that first time when he up and decided it was a good idea to taste a pool of drool on a desk... that was pretty out there, IMO.

And, yes, I agree it's refreshing to see teenagers acting like teenagers rather than how they're usually portrayed in anime (that whole Keichi-Belldandy thing is just pathetic).

I still think it's an odd series, but I also find it intresting. I think I'll keep watching it and see how things turn out.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
This is off to a pretty great start. I recommend that people give it a try before passing judgement on it; you might not like it, but I think it's well done enough to be worth something more than a knee-jerk over the premise. It's not at all like Hood's usual output, and has the director of Uchuu Kyoudai behind it to boot.

On another note, reading through the mangaka's other series, Yume Tsukai. It's...something else. Both makes me worry for the author's sanity and be glad that he's working in the business today.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Volibear wrote:
except when i realised spoiler[panty scissors never made an appearance! i'm sure they appeared in the oneshot, which i believe is what the first episode was an adaptation of]

They did appear -- when Urabue turned suddenly on the time they first walked home together you got a flash of them. Then again they appear in the ending credits. I came here to ask WTF is up with those?

yh, i did see that but i meant like there proper outing, i did kinda word it poorly sayingspoiler[ "never made an appearance"]when i noticed that myself

since they appeared in the end credits we'll see that outing in the next episode though, which i'm really glad for
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18