• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Mugen Souls is Now Shipping to Retailers Across North America!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Notice: Due to the sensitive nature of some content, NIS America has decided to edit certain aspects of this title for its North American and European releases.

Not familiar with the title, but ordered it anyway cause I liked what I saw.

Anybody know what was edited out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Notice: Due to the sensitive nature of some content, NIS America has decided to edit certain aspects of this title for its North American and European releases.

Not familiar with the title, but ordered it anyway cause I liked what I saw.

Anybody know what was edited out.

Yeah I would like to know it too. I did some investigation, NIS did said this back in March of this year according to this Siliconera article. They didn't state what was offensive in there they had to edit out, if it's somethig that could offend religious people I can understand, if it's something that promote pedophilia, I don't know what to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I did some reading, an editorial at ThoseGuys believes it to be a hot springs mini game and the associated cut scenes for it. I can live with that, not much of a fan for mini games anyway.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yeah I would like to know it too. I did some investigation, NIS did said this back in March of this year according to this Siliconera article. They didn't state what was offensive in there they had to edit out, if it's somethig that could offend religious people I can understand, if it's something that promote pedophilia, I don't know what to say.

It was...awkward...playing the minigame with the original Japanese release.

Um..Let's just say while I don't endorse removing content from a game, I can totally see why they did it and I'm actually grateful they did remove it and the CGs.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I did some reading, an editorial at ThoseGuys believes it to be a hot springs mini game and the associated cut scenes for it. I can live with that, not much of a fan for mini games anyway.

Oh well, that doesn't disturb me, as long NIS America didn't do what SEGA did to Yakuza 3, I'm fine with it.

I could say the same for some of the western games when they go to Japan. Yes, Japan does edit our game for contents kind of like the same way US would sort of do before they get release in Japan. I believe Fallout 3 had one mission removed for the Japanese version due to sensitivity. Also I believe Saints Row 3 phalic bat was altered for the Japanese version (maybe if it was a tentacle, it would be acceptable) Laughing . Also Mafia 2 got nudity censored for Japan, which I find it odd, because don't Japan have a lot of topless pictures in their magazine and hentai, yet Japan censor topless pictures in Mafia 2. So you see Japan editing of our games show Japan and US are no different when it comes to translating and editing our games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Europe release (which came out a month earlier) confirms it was the loli bathing parts that was edited out. Basically, you rubbed down the female party members (including the lolis) to get them stat ups or something. That was taken out because NISA was worried it would get an AO rating due to that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, the Europe release (which came out a month earlier) confirms it was the loli bathing parts that was edited out. Basically, you rubbed down the female party members (including the lolis) to get them stat ups or something. That was taken out because NISA was worried it would get an AO rating due to that.

It's ironic for Japan when it comes to what can be shown in video game:

scene with fondling loli: acceptable

a picture of a realistic topless women (like in Mafia 2): unacceptable, and must be censored, and they don't look 16. Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I believe Fallout 3 had one mission removed for the Japanese version due to sensitivity.

Correct. An early mission in the game allows multiple paths and moral choices, one of which allows the spoiler[detonation of an atomic device in one of the games towns]. The game was threatened with a ban in Japan outright unless it was removed, so the mission no longer allowed that option in the Japanese localization. The impact is actually pretty significant if you're someone that likes playing all paths as that choice in that mission is a major gateway towards the evil path in the game if you choose to go that route with your character.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I believe Fallout 3 had one mission removed for the Japanese version due to sensitivity.

Correct. An early mission in the game allows multiple paths and moral choices, one of which allows the spoiler[detonation of an atomic device in one of the games towns]. The game was threatened with a ban in Japan outright unless it was removed, so the mission no longer allowed that option in the Japanese localization. The impact is actually pretty significant if you're someone that likes playing all paths as that choice in that mission is a major gateway towards the evil path in the game if you choose to go that route with your character.

Yes I'm aware of that, I was lazy to put the detail of why Fallout 3 was censored. I remember reading from several articles that Japanese fans was disappointed that mission was removed. Also it's not only the mission that was removed, the human gore was removed for the Japanese version, while gore for mutants and ghouls are still kept according to
Tetsu Takahashi of Zenimax Asia. Here's the excerpt of the interview about Fallout 3 censorship:

Quote:
That’s a fair statement. In terms of actually altering content, how much have you had to do? I can imagine... Well, didn’t Fallout 3 get a Z rating in Japan? (Considered more extreme than the ESRB’s M rating, because many stores won’t carry games with a Z.)

TT: Yeah, it got a Z rating. We almost didn't get rated. [laughs]

Right, because you can kill civilians and stuff like that.

TT: Well, you still can. But the biggest issue was the "Power of the Atom" mission. You blow up the bomb, and blow up the whole town. That part, we had to cut.

So, you had to cut it entirely?

TT: Yeah. The mission is still there, but there are always two routes to the missions. We had to close that part of the mission. But we kept a lot of the decapitations in. The only alterations we made was that part and also humans... Human decapitations we had to cut. Mutants and ghouls and all that are still there.

So at least western anime fans and JRPG gamers now know Japan is no different from US when it comes to content in game, they can be censored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1