• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Plea Bargain Deal Reported in Deborah Fourzan Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
"It was TEH Anime!!"

Classic.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wait...so, anime is bad because it makes you vulnerable to online predators???

Oh come on, people, that takes the cake on lamest arguments! If online sexual predators want to get to a kid, they'll use anything - anime, Harry Potter, My Little Pony, whatever. Parents just need to teach their kids how to be safe online.

This is so stupid it isn't even deserving of news coverage here.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
And the Twilight, it seems. Don't remember hearing that before.

Really, it could be anything that teen girls are interested in, from anime to Twilight to ponies to Hannah Montanna and that Disney tripe.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Really, it could be anything that teen girls are interested in, from anime to Twilight to ponies to Hannah Montanna and that Disney tripe.

Or teen boys. Pedophiles come in all brands and flavors.
Lonecow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Wow it's like clash of the sterotypes. The 41 year old pedophile who loves anime, vs the 14 year old yaoi/Twilight fangirl. Two worlds collide.
miji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
I don't see them blaming anime at all. Don't know where that came from. The mother just mentioned that he used anime, something her daughter was interested in, to lure her daughter. He obviously used Twilight as well. If the daughter was a huge Hanah Montana fan and this creepazoid used that, it wouldn't be on this board, and the mother would be talking about how he used Hanah Montana to lure her daughter to where ever Hanah Montana stuff is filmed, and again not blaming Hanah Montana, just stating the facts. Unless I missed something Razz ?

Edit: Hehe, looks like the Hanah Montana example has already been used Razz !
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Oh come on, people, that takes the cake on lamest arguments! If online sexual predators want to get to a kid, they'll use anything - anime, Harry Potter, My Little Pony, whatever. Parents just need to teach their kids how to be safe online.

This is so stupid it isn't even deserving of news coverage here.

Oh, you landed on try again...

No body said that anime was bad. It's just that in this case that's what the predator used. Plain fact. No value judgment on anime itself.
Lonecow wrote:
Wow it's like clash of the sterotypes. The 41 year old pedophile who loves anime, vs the 14 year old yaoi/Twilight fangirl. Two worlds collide.
Who's to say the guy liked anime. He could have just been using it as a means to an end. Kinda like in Hard Candy, the pedophile used some indie band he got from a conversation and just looked up on Amazon.
vashfanatic wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Or teen boys. Pedophiles come in all brands and flavors.

True. Shouldn't stereotype one way or another, though I was focusing on this guy in particular and what he could have used.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
miji wrote:
Hehe, looks like the Hanah Montana example has already been used Razz !
Surprised he didn't use that. It's surprising risque they've allowed that singer to get. Saw some Perez Hilton or something report about her basically pole dancing. Really it is marketing sex to kids without being overt. Or you can say the singers wear purity rings to appease parents or some crap. Now I'm just picturing that Jonas Bros ep of South Park with Mickey as a scummy manager.

But that's a whole other issue. I've been to cousins birthdays and am rather astonished about how they worship this Achey Breaky Heart spawn.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Loose one turn? Razz

As for what kind of light this casts anime in, hopefully people won't get the idea in their heads that this means it is bad because interest in anime will make you more vulnerable to pedophiles (I'm not saying that is what has happened, but the interpretation is certainly plausible). Such a thing would be only a couple steps short of blaming the victim.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
No body said that anime was bad. It's just that in this case that's what the predator used. Plain fact. No value judgment on anime itself.

In which case... why does this even merit being newsworthy? To remind us that there are sexual perverts out there who use anime, so be careful online? The anime side of it is so marginal, I don't see the point of the article being here.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Young padawan, you have failed to become a Jedi for your inability to read.

She said anime was used against her daughter, not that it was bad.

Now, on topic...
Some parents know how to... parent.

This one obviously doesn't know how to and it boggles my mind why her butt's not thrown in jail either on negligence.

Yes, parents can't watch their child all the time, but seriously, how long were these two in communication for her not to wonder about what's going on.

vashfanatic wrote:
Pedophiles come in all brands and flavors.

Except cinnamon and raspberry.
DamienStryker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Talk about a sinister circumstance... >_>; ... I just finally caught up on the readings and decided to post here on this. Eack, is the only thing that comes to mind.

It all seems so backwater... a friend of the family for 5 years... why does he even have the girl's cell number in the first place? That just appears to be very negligent on behalf of the parent. I always ask my boss if it was a good idea for kids to even have them in the first place and he reasons that it makes for a safer world. Exceptions can be made as to why a bulletproof vest can be a person's downfall and why a car with airbags in the driver's wheel and headrest is not 100% safe... but man... this is just wow... to me.

On the legal side of things, 15 years is a lot and any way of getting out of it would have to be addressed so I can understand just where his thought process is on the matter... but what really gets to me is how the parent is addressing this matter. It is almost as if... she's accepting that her daughter was this trusting and that she was that trusting of a friend of the family, which in common man's terms... is still a stranger.

A lot of people in the past threads mentioned how this is a black eye towards anime fans... but just like the NBA referee who tanked games for pay... and the businessman who decided that some random persons in the company deserved a raise despite the economic times, we have to accept that this is totally a rogue case. The last thing we need is to be lumped together with people who are on America's Most Wanted. >_>; ...

Ah... and btw... just on a side note... that Cosplay was totally wrong as well. I'm all for the Cosplay Cops to be arresting peeps who deserve it. Save us from Man-Fayes all over the place. xD!
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This is why you should only go to cons with people you KNOW!
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello, I can't recall all the details because it was so many months ago, but I feel like I remember this guy was a family friend or something along those lines. In any event, it's hard for a parent to know everything their child is doing all the time, or what people around her kid might be plotting without her knowledge. It's easy to blame the parent when something like this happens, but it isn't impossible to think it could happen to anyone. Educate your kids about not trusting adults at all! It's the only way to keep them safe! Seriously, short of putting your kids in a bubble and hiding them from the world, the risk is always going to be there that they'll make a bad choice, no matter how attentive to their activities you are.

vashfanatic, it's "newsworthy" because a lot of people were following this story (on ANN) back in February when the girl first went missing, and this news report makes good closure for that. We also get to find out that this guy is, indeed, going to be doing jailtime for what he did.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Why is it every time that we have any story that could even possibly put anime in a little bit of a bad light we have people coming in here screaming it is un-newsworthy? Every time.

Are we that thin skinned? Or do we have a legitimate guilty conscious? Plus I don't even think it really puts anime in all that much of a bad light. Anime was used to lure a young girl away from home. Much like candy. Only they don't have conventions for candy. Though I am sure they do, but you know what I mean.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5