• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Del-Rey acknowledges Negima! errors, fixes them.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
This is from the Del-Rey e-mail newsletter for Feb.

---------------------------------

NEGIMA 4: UPDATE

The following material is being reprinted from the Del Rey Manga Newsletter. To subscribe to this free, monthly e-newsletter, visit http://www.delreybooks.com

A few questions have been raised lately about NEGIMA Volumes 3 and 4 – mostly relating to consistency in the editing. In our quest to obtain the best translations possible for our beloved Ken Akamatsu, we made a change of translator early in the series, resulting in an error regarding Negi's father's name (which should be Thousand Master, not Southern Master). It turns out that the Japanese words for "southern" and "thousand" are very similar. Future printings of volumes 3 and 4 will be changed to the correct name, and we are checking volume 5 very carefully.

The good news is that we have a new translation team on NEGIMA as of Volume 6. If you've been a member of anime fandom for a while you might recognize the names Trish Ledoux and Toshi Yoshida. I finished reviewing their work on Volume 6 recently, and it looks great. They've signed on for the foreseeable future, so Negi will be in good hands.

-------------------------------

Nice to see them fix their only glaring mistake. With this, combined with the other steps they are taking, they are fast becoming a great company that has the potential to truely break manga into the mainstream.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Nice to see them fix their only glaring mistake. With this, combined with the other steps they are taking, they are fast becoming a great company that has the potential to truely break manga into the mainstream.

Somehow, the word "fixing mistake" and "great company" doesn't seem to fit together in the same sentence. If they're such a great company, they wouldn't have allow such a mistake in the first place.

Beside, if a company that's going to take manga to mainstream, it's likely Viz (maybe tokyopop) but I doubt it's going to be Del Ray. The quality of thier books are still lacklust and thier lineup is limited.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Somehow, the word "fixing mistake" and "great company" doesn't seem to fit together in the same sentence. If they're such a great company, they wouldn't have allow such a mistake in the first place.

Beside, if a company that's going to take manga to mainstream, it's likely Viz (maybe tokyopop) but I doubt it's going to be Del Ray. The quality of thier books are still lacklust and thier lineup isn't limited.

I have had no issues of the printing quality of the Del-Rey manga. I've heard the stories, but I've never encountered any of these defective books in any of the stores at which I shop or those I ordered over Amazon. I fell that osme people have had extraordinarly bad luck regarding some of these issues.

Del-Rey is in a far better position for mainstreaming manga than TP or Viz simplely because of who they are. Del-Rey is a division of Random House, one of the largest publishers in America. They have tremendous corperate resources and the ability to get sellers to stock manga. Small bookstores in my hometown that have never carried manga before are now carrying Del-Rey's manga. Waldenbooks in Atlanta were handing out Del-Rey Manga flyers with any book purchase at their stores.

This kind of exposure just isn't possible yet for TP or Viz. TP has tried a smattering of TV ads, but most of them have been late at night on programs such as Adult Swim. I have yet to see a Viz ad outside of the context of anime/manga publications or events.

Random House has already stated that their manga division has exceeded all projected returns and have declared it a great business success. This leads me to believe that they will put more time and money to aquiring quality series and presenting them to the public here in America.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Beside, if a company that's going to take manga to mainstream, it's likely Viz (maybe tokyopop) but I doubt it's going to be Del Ray. The quality of thier books are still lacklust and thier lineup is limited.

Well, I'm glad to hear they're fixing it. Confused Although they haven't acknowlegded some other inconsistencies. And then the awful paper they use and the high prices.

I agree, Del Rey's not going to be the one bringing it mainstream. I'd place my bets on Tokyopop, because it's still riding on the wave of fans for lowering manga prices and it's connecting manga to mainstream media, as well as advancing it on the American front(with their amerimanga and the planned Real Bout film).
s_j

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Random House may have the resources and the retail connections, but Tokyopop has the street cred and Viz has close Japanese ties and big licenses. Just having good resources is not enough to guarantee a Del Rey victory...

But, I think a lot of people are a bit too hard on them. I've not had a problem with their books, either. =)
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Manga is still a niche market.

Come to think of it, I think Viz is pulling in new manga readers as we speak. I know thier shonen jump anthology as pull new tons of new manga reader, mos whom only watch Yugioh on TV. Yugioh is big with the mainstream audience that doesn't watch other anime. With thoer shojo beat anthology, we will likely see an increase of girls reading it.

That and the fact that most of thier books are selling really well: Inuyasha, Naruto, Kenshin. And if people are checking out manga in the bookstore, they'll see a lot of Viz and TP title on the shelf to choose from. Heck, I bet most of us became manga reader because of a title from 1 of those 2 groups. Oh yea if you read Viz's website, they're always find new ways to expand, like them teaming up with Reading is Fundamental to promote literacy and such.

So what if Del Ray is own by a big publisher. They're just riding the success of manga much like DC comics is doing with thier CMX line. They might help push manga into more mainstream, but I doubt a book like Negima is going to take a world by storm. Del Ray Fanboys
kenshin77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Del Ray Fanboys

Uhh....its Del Rey fanboys. I really hate the word Fanboys.

I don't think a translation error like this will affect Del Rey at all, and I dont think its such a big deal. Del Rey may not be the big company that will push Manga into the mainstream, but they sure know how to publish quality manga. Unlike Tokyo pop which changes their format every 6 months.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The good news is that we have a new translation team on NEGIMA as of Volume 6. If you've been a member of anime fandom for a while you might recognize the names Trish Ledoux and Toshi Yoshida.

No, I don't. Does anyone ever actually look to see who translated the book? I mean, unless someone has done a really horrible job, do you remember their names?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
The good news is that we have a new translation team on NEGIMA as of Volume 6. If you've been a member of anime fandom for a while you might recognize the names Trish Ledoux and Toshi Yoshida.

No, I don't. Does anyone ever actually look to see who translated the book? I mean, unless someone has done a really horrible job, do you remember their names?

Sure... first one that pops in my head - Jan Scott Frazier has been doing the translation for Psychic Academy. It's not as if there are a whole bunch of unknowns out there... I occasionally take a look.

Also, there has been far more involvement by Trish Ledoux and Toshi Yoshida than just manga... if you are familiar with older Viz work (particularily Ranma 1/2) then they should stick out like a sore thumb. Believe me, they have been around the block or two, so it isn't really incorrect to state familiarity for those of us who have been fans for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Also, there has been far more involvement by Trish Ledoux and Toshi Yoshida than just manga... if you are familiar with older Viz work (particularily Ranma 1/2) then they should stick out like a sore thumb. Believe me, they have been around the block or two, so it isn't really incorrect to state familiarity for those of us who have been fans for a long time.

I've been an anime fan for a while, and I've seen Ranma 1/2, I've just never cared to look and see who translated it. I imagine most people would be the same way.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty hefty assumption, don't you think? Not that I don't make my own assumptions from time to time. Smile

IIRC, she was notorious for some of her script work - especially on translating the lyrics for the first OP song of Ranma 1/2 where she tried to make the song lyrics follow a rhyme scheme rather than doing an accurate translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I had always wondered why southern master sounded wrong when they said "your father had over 1000 partners thats why they called him the southern master"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1