• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi Visual Novel - Through Kai Meakashi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but wanted to post my thoughts on Mangagamer's release of this visual novel.

First off, I loved the Geneon release of the first season, and was (and still am) desperate to finish the story. I am kinda of a stickler for things like copyright, so fansubs were out. When the game was announced, I was very excited.

I bought the first release, which has the arcs: Onikakushi, Watanagashi, Tatarigoroshi, and Himatsubushi.
If you were a fan of the anime, then you will be pleased that there were very few changes from the game to the anime. That aside, you will be initially disappointed in that the visual novels are not voiced.
This is not a game, there are no choices to make, this is a story being told to you.

But what a story!

These visual novels are LONG, and they set an even more chilling mood and story than the comparable arcs of the anime using just text (fed to you in varying speeds to set a mood), backgrounds, background music, sound effects, and cutout characters. (do not look too hard at the hands of the paperdoll cutouts)
Once you get used to it, you are in for over 30 to 40 hours of solid entertainment I am going to rewatch my discs of the first season soon to refresh my memory, but I was amazed that I was even more enthralled with the VN experience than my run through the anime.

When I went through Meakashi, is when I first noticed something extra. Shion and Satoshi's background is a whole lot more fleshed out than in the anime, In fact I would guess that Keichii only comes onto the scene about 2/3's of the way through Meakashi. Meakashi is the answer arc or Watanagashi I believe. Meakashi is also the first arc where Keichii finally gets a paperdoll char. Meakashi is brutal, there are some really brutal murders and tortures that occur.

The translations are good for Managamer, only rarely did I spot an error or a really clunky translation.
Since they are not voiced, the downloads are small, and yes after you convert to Euros, they are pricey.

The second answer arc, Tsumihoroboshi is out, and I have it purchased, and am looking forward to starting it soon (I have really been into the new PS2 release of Sakura Wars 5: So long my Love recently).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1