• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa Q&A Transcript

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wao

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Interesting article, I found the part about Yoko Kanno especially interesting... but now I"m wondering just what part about Sousei no Aquarion she liked so much that she decided to do the music for it... Maybe she likes shounen mecha shows. Or maybe she likes Shoji Kawamori. Seeing that she's done Macross Plus and Arjuna soundtracks...
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
First off, I've gotta say this....What the hell?

Quote:
Question: “Why are the Tachikomas so cute?”

Kenji Kamiyama: “Tachikoma was designed by Shirow Masamune and he designed it exclusively for the TV series. Psychologically the design is three round balls combined. To the human mind, everything that’s round appears to be cute. If you look at a baby. . .well, babies are chubby, round, and all that and they are very adorable. So I think that is probably the reason it looks really cute. And also the voice actress who did the voice for Tachikoma. Her name is Tamagawa Sakiko. She has an unexpectedly adorable voice. We didn’t even expect it to be that cute. It totally matched the character.”

I was at the TAF in Hollywood...."I" was the one who asked the question about Fuchikoma/Tachikoma.

THAT *points to qoute* is not what I asked, nor is the answer I recieved.

Here's the real Question:

Q. I know there were a lot of redesigns for GIT:SAC, but why did you end up using a new robot, Tachikoma, instead of the classic Fuchikoma?

The answer I got was something like this: Shiorw had used to the character for some other projects, and didn't have all the legal paperwork ready fro them to use Fuchikoma. Stressed for time, Shirow designed them a new Mech, Tachikoma. As soon as they were working on the 2'nd episode, the papers for Fuchikoma to be used got in, but they had already started with Tachikoma, and so they decided to keep Tachi.

I wonder who elses questions got 're-written".....
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Huh...

I just e-mailed James at Anime Advanced, so hopefully we'll find out what happened.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm....That, or maybe someone asked that question at the later screening.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
Got a nice, detailed response from James this morning:

Quote:
There were actually two different sessions of the Q & A (both were on Monday February 7, 2005). One of them was for the event at 1:00 p.m. and the other was for the event at 5:00 p.m.. The one I attended was the Q & A for the second showing at 5:00 p.m. The Q & A session itself started at around 6:00 p.m. or 6:30 p.m..

The transcript is almost an exact word for word type up of the whole session (a lot of "um" and "so" was taken out to make it more enjoyable to read). One exception being the question on Yoko Kanno, which is not exactly word for word, and was basically what I interpreted the question to be (The speaker did not speak loudly into the Mic so it was hard to hear on my recorder). With an analog recorder, I recorded the question, stopped the tape and then recorded the translated response(s) only.

Oh, I also omitted a question. It was one where some guy asked "Who would win in a fight between Miko Mido, Motoko, and the girl from tenjho tenge?"

The response was a lot of laughter but the director said he wasn't familiar with La Blue Girl but he beleived that Motko would still win. I personally thought that question would waste the reader's time so I omitted it. It also doesn't seem that funny in writing.

The person that asked the question about the Tachikomas was a girl. I believe that the user "Cyan Bloodbane" might've asked a similar question during the 1st session, which I did not attend. Also, I still have the whole interview on a tape recorder as proof.

All of my other transcripts (Yoko Ishida Panel at AX 2004) that have been posted on the site are also word for word.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ah, ok. That explains it. Now that I know it was someone else's quesion, I feel a lot better.

I would probably be really miffed if they had edited the question I asked though. lol. Besides, the Tachikoma question she asked is a bit cuter. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1