• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo, Kitakubo Animate Satria Series for Malaysia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope it's better than the last kid's fantasy project they did: Brave Story...

Or I should say, I hope it doesn't insult kids' intelligence. Brave Story was a stale, cookie-cutter take of Lord of the Rings.

This project's tite has a number in it. "7 elements". I hope it's not what I think it is...

Other than that though, I'm enthusiastic. Last time Gonzo did something new with material that was considered legendary was Gankutsuou.
And it's a 26 episode series too. The only thing that could please me more is who's composing the music.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Dear ANN, i like to point out a mistake in your article.

I well aware who is the legendary Malaysian hero in this anime. The hero's name is not "Han Towa". It's "Hang Tuah". Here's an article about Hang Tuah

I'm not sure who made the mistake in the translation of his name, but i hope you can correct it so many Malays in Malaysia, Brunei & Singapore who read this won't feel like doing a facepalm. Thanks.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was quick. Thanks for correcting it. Smile

PS. "Malaysian" is for people or things from Malaysia, not the language. The language is called Malay.

Sorry for being nitpicky.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the project itself but I'm just glad to hear Kitakubo is finally directing again.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Call me crazy but this seem like a solid show. I would like to see it when it comes out and even more so if it was licensed and dubbed. But that is all up in the air till we see what the show is like. Can't wait.
maikister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'm a Malaysian, and hearing Japan giving a try to adapt our myths into anime is like a dream come true, but the fact that the director himself tweeted "This is Hang Tuah (an important character in Malaysian legends), the main character of this shitty Malaysian anime I'm working on right now" isn't giving me the best impression of him...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
maikister wrote:
shitty Malaysian anime

That seems like a pretty big PR gaff... you uh, sure that's what he said? I mean I can't read Japanese and I'm not going to trust Babelfish, so i can't say...
linkinstreet01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote

More pictures and screencaps from here
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
maikister wrote:
shitty Malaysian anime

That seems like a pretty big PR gaff... you uh, sure that's what he said?

Well, he used the phrase "Malaysia no kuso anime", where "kuso" means crap. With the different order of adjectives in Japanese, there is less implied disrespect to Malaysia than in the above translation.

I will also note that my dictionary lists "kuusou" as meaning "fantasy, imagination", so it might be that Kitakubo has just taken to calling all fantasy anime "kuso anime". This is just speculation. I'm not fluent in Japanese. You'd really have to read a lot more of Kitakubo's twitter stream to be sure.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I will also note that my dictionary lists "kuusou" as meaning "fantasy, imagination", so it might be that Kitakubo has just taken to calling all fantasy anime "kuso anime". This is just speculation. I'm not fluent in Japanese. You'd really have to read a lot more of Kitakubo's twitter stream to be sure.

Well, a two tweets later he complains about iPad not supporting Flash and says "kuso iPad"... so yeah. Also, even if there's less direct disrespect to Malaysia it does mean "shitty Malaysian anime" and it is disrespectful... and he's talking about the show he's directing.

Maybe "kuso anime" was just an insider joke or something, but even so he shouldn't have said it in public. (Kuso anime is a pretty common derogatory term for, well, shitty anime.)

All in all, not a wise move.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
You're probably right.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
maikister wrote:
I'm a Malaysian, and hearing Japan giving a try to adapt our myths into anime is like a dream come true, but the fact that the director himself tweeted "This is Hang Tuah (an important character in Malaysian legends), the main character of this shitty Malaysian anime I'm working on right now" isn't giving me the best impression of him...

I don't hope it's just me, but I found this pretty hilarious. It was obviously meant in jest, so just lighten up and take it for what it was meant as - a joke. Also, I agree with Kitakubo on the Ipad - it really is total shit.
akizuki minori

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
maikister wrote:

I heard ye. Though to me it didn't bug me as much even though I'm Malaysian.

All in all it will depend on how the final product turns out be.
fatewin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well i hope this will be a fine anime( at least) Confused . He better not screw thing up. Plus, damn they destroy the original name.
kransom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
http://twitter.com/LawofGreen/statuses/28677013467

Kitakubo seems to be denying that he is the director on this project, saying that rather he's an adviser.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1