• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shuho Sato: Site Offers to Translate Say Hello to Black Jack

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting... Wonder where this will lead to. Very Happy
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:

To communism.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow!...
So the logic is... If there an obscure manga, we can now get it, and still support the creator in some form, by buying it off an exclusive website?

I'm not sure how to look at this but, dame I'm sure to say hello to Black Jack.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:

To communism.

We already live in a world where people do fansubs for free. I think we have already reached communism a long time ago .
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a bad deal imo. I don't think the amount of text to be translated per chapter justifies giving over distribution rights to this company and allowing them to sell his manga, creating direct competition with his own site.

I think he'd be better off just waiting for another person or going to a college and posting up a job offer for an exchange student or something.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Sounds like a bad deal imo. I don't think the amount of text to be translated per chapter justifies giving over distribution rights to this company and allowing them to sell his manga, creating direct competition with his own site.

I think he'd be better off just waiting for another person or going to a college and posting up a job offer for an exchange student or something.

How much direct competition is there going to be between a translated version of his work and his work in the original language?
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ZeroDemio wrote:
Wow!...
So the logic is... If there an obscure manga, we can now get it, and still support the creator in some form, by buying it off an exclusive website?

I'm not sure how to look at this but, dame I'm sure to say hello to Black Jack.

Say Hello to Black Jack was a massive best seller in Japan; a lot of the stunts he's pulling now are possible only because the series was so popular. I'm not sure how much that precedent would actually apply to more obscure titles. There are certainly less well-known manga I would happily translate for royalties only if the authors were as net savvy as Sato is, but given how reliant on their publishers the average manga artist is, I'm not seeing this becoming a trend.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ZeroDemio wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:

To communism.

We already live in a world where people do fansubs for free. I think we have already reached communism a long time ago .

Well, if that's so, think something worst... maybe Armageddon...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

How much direct competition is there going to be between a translated version of his work and his work in the original language?

100% of English sales goto this site rather than him getting some college kid to do it and 100% of sales going to his own site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1