• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Efron Not Starring in Akira, Mandate Nixes Oldboy Rumor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, it's a relief that Zac Efron isn't involved in the movie, but Morgan Freeman is pretty cool, so it would be much easier for him to pull puff an anime role like Akira or something more than Zac.

And finally, the rumor that a old boy live action movie is proven to be one of hundreds internet rumors. Frankly, I bet the number of internet rumors much more than several hundred, but that is a entirely different story.
Scamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Shame. I was starting to warm up to the idea of Zac Efron being eaten by a giant mutant baby
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
Shame. I was starting to warm up to the idea of Zac Efron being eaten by a giant mutant baby

Maybe if it were a Hare and Guu parody or something along that nature, that might happen, but other wise I can't imagine that happening with a live action show like Old Boy or Akira.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Um.... duh? Zefron has become the go-to guy for rumors designed intentionally to freak out fans about adaptations. Rolling Eyes
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
it's the same for the rumoured "FMA adaptation", now dead.

Basically the idiots at Hollywood really want to get Zack FFFFFFFFron into an anime-adaptation movie, but everytime they pass around casting rumours to test the waters, they find that fans (the only people who would watch said movies) are overwhelmingly FFFFFron-haters.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Efron has nothing to do with the Akira movie, that is a huge relief. But I still have my fingers crossed that Morgan Freeman is still going to be involved, I'm not sure if he would have been the best fit for Colenol but he could be thrown in their somewhere.

The Old Boy news is kind of a let down, Mark Protosevich wouldn't have been to bad of a fit. But maybe it's for the best, maybe a better fit would be someone like William Monahan (The Departed), sure his last couple of movies have been iffy but maybe he can get some of that old magic back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
bunnyhopper wrote:
it's the same for the rumoured "FMA adaptation", now dead.

Basically the idiots at Hollywood really want to get Zack FFFFFFFFron into an anime-adaptation movie, but everytime they pass around casting rumours to test the waters, they find that fans (the only people who would watch said movies) are overwhelmingly FFFFFron-haters.

Studio executives could not possibly care less about internet fan rage. This has been confirmed to me by several people who are working on or have worked on Hollywood adaptations. A few hundred nerds being mad about something does not have any impact on whether or not they greenlight a decision.
Scamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Scamp wrote:

Maybe if it were a Hare and Guu parody or something along that nature, that might happen, but other wise I can't imagine that happening with a live action show like Old Boy or Akira.

Yeah, a live action Hare Guu starring Zac Efron. He'd be perfect as the village chief
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Studio executives could not possibly care less about internet fan rage. This has been confirmed to me by several people who are working on or have worked on Hollywood adaptations. A few hundred nerds being mad about something does not have any impact on whether or not they greenlight a decision.

And yet, didn't you say:

Quote:
Otaku the world over just love to complain about live-action adaptations of beloved anime series, usually months – if not years – before they come out, determined to hate the final product regardless of what it is. It could be argued that they're not giving some of these projects a fair shake from the get-go; they're hating just to hate, swearing fealty to the original show or manga, convinced Hollywood just can't ever get it right.

Dragonball: Evolution was no exception. Fans decried every scrap of material they could get their hands on, from leaked screencaps to shots of unpainted action figures to the teaser trailers, each time their derisive laughter and scorn growing louder and louder. A tiny handful of people remained cautiously optimistic, praying that 20th Century Fox had managed to distill the essence of the eternally popular, internationally beloved and downright legendary Dragon Ball story into a 90-minute action adventure that, while perhaps not adhering so closely to the exact plot and pacing of the original story, did provide a faithful and entertaining homage that might pave the way for increasingly loyal adaptations down the road.

Here's what happened instead: a bunch of talentless hacks with studio money slapped together a big steaming pile of baffling garbage that fails utterly on every possible level and will please no one at all.

The fans were right.

So, in a sense, Hollywood would benefited from a little nerd-rage once in a while, no?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sunday: The Geek Factor only works when the studios respect what makes the source material so appealing in the first place. When they greenlight crap like Kick-Ass and hope it crosses over, though, all bets are off.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
Here's what happened instead: a bunch of talentless hacks with studio money slapped together a big steaming pile of baffling garbage that fails utterly on every possible level and will please no one at all.

The fans were right.

And Akira will be no different, what big studios don't realize is that they can't just say "Well were gonna try and appeal to a wider audience, thats the big picture, so we can change everything, even if it completely alienates the only people who give a crap about it"

2 words: Dragonball Evolution

The next time someone says "DERP HERP we can make it work give it a chance"

DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION

At least if you're gonna do Akira, for the love of god at least try and make it like the movie at least, Everytime I see the article where they say "PG-13" AND "Akira" in the same sentence, I flash forward to when it comes out, I'm gonna see the halfway mark, and just leave the theater, knowing good and well, if Japan hasn't done it yet, Hollywood isn't even in the same ballpark to try
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
except for the fact that Otaku nerd rage about everything. They don't want outsiders to touch their favorite series.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Except those fan are going to be the one who are going to watch their movies and losing money in the process.

Seriously, does American movie studios really LOVES to waste money SO MUCH? Does the whole deal with MGM's bankruptcy doesn't make them think twice about wasting money, resources and time in STUPID projects?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
except for the fact that Otaku nerd rage about everything. They don't want outsiders to touch their favorite series.

I dunno. For every angry rant against the idea of adapting a show, I hear someone else begging for a live action Black Lagoon or what have you. But you are correct: fans will generally find something to complain about in any adaptation, present company included.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

And yet, didn't you say:

"And yet"? Why are you trying to frame this like I'm somehow contradicting myself?

They don't care. Zac Efron's box office reliability means far more to them than some nerds bitching. That hasn't changed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2