• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bloody Monday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
I was glad to read your review of Brotherhood--my initial impression of the series was exactly the same as yours, so I'd given a pass on the series. With the good review you've given it, I'm convinced to give the series another try!

I also really want to see Black Butler...I just have so many titles on my "to watch" list and a lot of titles I've seen and enjoyed that I don't have on DVD yet, so I don't think I'll be able to grab this series right away. I'm hoping to check it out within a reasonable time frame, though, because I love period stuff (both accurate and...not so accurate) and supernatural plots...and bishounen.

Also, I love Justin's anime room and the wedding picture he commissioned for him and his wife is adorable!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
One thing worth mentioning is that Curse of the Blood Rubies has been re-released with a new, more accurate English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
Did I miss something? With Black Butler already reviewed, does that mean that the bonus item has been revealed?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
I see some shelf lifer is also an Osamu Tezuka fan, high five! And I still want to get that Art of Tezuka book (I'll get around to it, it's really cheap all over the internet now).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
The first expression of the weekly subtitle was "has it been licensed?" Turned out the content had nothing to do with the manga. Embarassed

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Did I miss something? With Black Butler already reviewed, does that mean that the bonus item has been revealed?

That shiny box is the bonus.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Note to Shelf Obsessed's Justin: Unless the person you're marrying is a dude, you should probably spell it as fiancee rather than fiance. Oh those wacky French and their words.

That's an awesome room by the way. I wish I had an extra room I could do something similar with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Black Butler wasn't really on my radar before, but it actually sounds kinda cool. I like period settings in anime, it was one of the reasons I started watching Chrono Crusade. And as far as dodgy accents go, Greg Ayres' attempt for voicing Negi will always be my personal benchmark for crappiness. Dude didn't even try to put a Welsh twang in there.

Is it Sebastian himself that's going to kill Ciel as part of the contract?
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Note to Shelf Obsessed's Justin: Unless the person you're marrying is a dude, you should probably spell it as fiancee rather than fiance. Oh those wacky French and their words.

That's an awesome room by the way. I wish I had an extra room I could do something similar with.

Extra! I think that is the living room! Which is, btw, awesome. I enjoyed that set of photos a lot, thanks Justin!

I have a room 'tricked out' like that, but it is the den/man cave and not a primary room in the house. The walls also share space with some militaria and such as well, but hey... Maybe I should snap pictures and get them up sometime anyway.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although I've heard Black Butler takes a turn for the serious in the second season

More like jumping the shark. Starting half-way through Season One, they stopped adapting the manga completely and made up their own story, filled with fanservice, nonsensical plot, naked boys, and lots of rape/sex (Sebastian ends up having sex in the next box set Rolling Eyes ).

This is why I stick to the manga.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised you made no mention of Olivia Armstrong in Brotherhood, who I'm sure must have been the ultimate new highlight character in this volume for a lot of people. I'm one of them, at least.
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

Starting half-way through Season One, they stopped adapting the manga completely and made up their own story, filled with fanservice, nonsensical plot, naked boys, and lots of rape/sex (Sebastian ends up having sex in the next box set Rolling Eyes ).

Wait, really? I heard the second half of the first season actually picked up a lot after the first half. I had trouble getting through the first few episodes because of the goofiness and episodic nature, and was hoping that in future episodes the series gets better, not worse.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
An ever-faithful servant that can serve up a killer torte and gobble up my soul once I die? Yes, please!

...who is totally overshadowed by the compltely obnoxious set of supporting characters so that the series never develops any real drama and tension!

Oh wait, you liked them. I do not understand why. I hated them all so much I dropped this series during its awful "Hound of the Baskervilles" riff. It wastes it great premise on its attempts at comedy and underage sexual subtext. This series exists for one reason only: to provide fodder for slash writers. It's pandering, unfunny, poorly-paced, mood-whiplashed, mediocre fujoshi bait. Though it is (mostly) well-animated (the action scenes are miserable).

Now, bring on your hate! Laughing
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
An ever-faithful servant that can serve up a killer torte and gobble up my soul once I die? Yes, please!

...who is totally overshadowed by the compltely obnoxious set of supporting characters so that the series never develops any real drama and tension!

Oh wait, you liked them. I do not understand why. I hated them all so much I dropped this series during its awful "Hound of the Baskervilles" riff. It wastes it great premise on its attempts at comedy and underage sexual subtext. This series exists for one reason only: to provide fodder for slash writers. It's pandering, unfunny, poorly-paced, mood-whiplashed, mediocre fujoshi bait. Though it is (mostly) well-animated (the action scenes are miserable).

Now, bring on your hate! Laughing

I have to agree with you on this as well. While the manga is alright (though it still feels to me like Count Cain with better art and a worse plot), the anime took waaaay too many liberties with the plot and wound up taking a bunch of characters and completely altering their personalities compared to how they act in the manga (and in the case of Grell, he hasn't even come back yet since his arc).

I couldn't stand the anime as well, and while the second season seemed interesting at first I was disappointed to find out that fan reaction was so negative to having an original character spinoff that they had to being back the main characters, This just causes more confusion to people who only watch the anime, and frustrated most of the manga readers as well because it further screwed with the plot.

And I really don't mind throwing silliness in, like the Ciel in Wonderland OVA was alright to me, but the anime series itself was a bit too much fujoshi pandering.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kudos, too, to most of the English actors, who do an admirable job of maintaining believable Cockney accents—or at least for giving it the old college try.

After sampling a few clips, it seems that a number of the voice actors emulating RP did so with passable success, though I know not how consistently they met the accent's phonological demands.

The same, alas, cannot be said of those attempting anything more regional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3