• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
4 Koma Manga: Where can I get it in English?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Since all manga publishers have some natural aversion to publishing this kind of Manga, I was wondering where I could locate it in English form? Preferribly, ones about games, like Earthbound and Mario.
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:22 pm Reply with quote
...?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Vertigo1 wrote:

Since all manga publishers have some natural aversion to publishing this kind of Manga, I was wondering where I could locate it in English form? Preferribly, ones about games, like Earthbound and Mario.

Well, I found some using Google. For Mario, there are a couple on this page http://hometown.aol.com/chrisk2018/4koma.html .

I like this page of Tenchi ones http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/ridleyford/111/azumanga.html .

Aside from that I have no bloody idea where one can obtain translations. I'd say there's not enough of an audience for 4-Koma manga in North America for them to bother, but they did translate some of the Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses, probably the most famous 4-Koma series as far as foreign anime fans are concerned. Maybe Kodansha did a few other bilingual format 4-koma books like they did with the Mini-Goddesses books?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:18 pm Reply with quote
My god. THOSE WERE WEIRD.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Which ones are weird? The Mario ones or the Tenchi ones?

I was thinking about this some more, and I can think of two good reasons why you won't likely ever see Viz or Dark Horse/Vertigo come out with any Mario 4-Koma collections.

1) The market for this sort of stuff is too limited to justify the amount of licensing fees they'd have to pay to Nintendo.

2) From what I've seen, most of them seem to be just "fan service" about Princess Toadstool/Daisy/Whatever, and since Nintendo's target audience skews towards the younger segment of videogame players (though the GameBoy Advanced is a wonderful retro-gaming experience for those of us who were teenagers in the late 80s and early 90s), this sort of thing is probably not something they want parents knowing about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1