• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you organize your volumes of a series on the shelves?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you arrange the volumes in a series?
All left-to-right
80%
 80%  [ 41 ]
All right-to-left
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
A mixture, for a reason
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
A mixture, for no reason in particular
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
One or both, plus some odder methods
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 51

Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
I was looking at my shelves the other day and noticed that I had some series sorted left-to-right and others sorted right-to-left(looking again, Lucky Star, Sunshine Sketch, Yotsuba&! and Onegai Teacher alternate while sitting right next to each other) and started wondering how other users managed their multi-volume series and if they had any particular reason for doing it that way(I don't - I mostly just follow the way I started if I end up adding new volumes to a series).
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
I have some vertical stacks to save space and they're arranged top to bottom, but everything else is arranged left to right.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Mine are all left-to-right. The reverse looks weird to me, like the books are backward.

(I somehow managed to accidentally pick the right-to-left option. Ignore that. =_=)
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
I arrange mine left to right because every collection of books that I have ever seen anywhere is organized that way. It just never occurred to me to try the reverse.
From what I have seen in manga and anime it seems to me that even the Japanese use left to right, but I really have not paid that much attention to it.
Right to left seems so odd to me that I am beginning to wonder if I am misunderstanding something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I arrange individual volumes left to right except an occasional error.

@ Touma
I once obtained a couple of volumes of Japanese language manga. The spines made a continuous picture if shelved left to right. At least with that series l to r would be the correct order. I don't know if they are consistant in that though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan - The English spines of Dragonball + Z do that as well. I would assume that's the same on the Japanese.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
They're all left to right for me. But don't ask about alphabetical order, I'm not even attempting it. My shelves are all over the room, going alphabetical would be difficult, thus I go go by genre and favorites (with Fumi Yoshinaga and Osamu Tezuka having their own sections)

Actually, I lied when I said all left to right, I almost forgot that I have Phoenix and Parasyte in Rainbowbetical order. Because I think it looks cool and I can do it with so few series (though I get a feeling that Arisa will be like that some day too)
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I might try rainbowbetical order with Arisa! It might work with Bunny Drop too.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
A mixture for me, with a reason. If a book is read from left to right I put it on the shelf in left to right order. If it's read from right to left I shelve it in right to left order. They are all filed alphabetically, by title, from right to left. Not sure why I do the right to left alphabet thing, for some reason it just looks better to me that way. The rest of my library is filed from left to right, by author, and my entire video library is filed left to right, by title (mostly).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Left to right, and then alphabetically.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Left to Right and based on who published it
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Any way they can fit. I have only 1 shelf to fit them all so they go behind each other, stacked to the top, etc.

They're competing with more important stuff like my Canon manuals, wargames, & all the service manuals for my cars.

Last edited by guildmaster on Mon May 06, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Normally left-or-right or top-to bottom for individual volume/ box sets in my collection. Beyond that, don't arrange my titles in any particular order as I either have them lined up on shelves or stacked up vertically for whatever I don't have shelf space for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Left to right where I can, but shelf space is at a premium so a lot of stuff gets stacked on each other in sometimes random sequences.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Left to right, with an odd stack of new/recently read manga wherever it might take root.

st_owly wrote:
I might try rainbowbetical order with Arisa! It might work with Bunny Drop too.

Also: Eden, Inu Yasha Big Edition, the Hino Horror series, Parasyte (Del Rey), Maison Ikkoku (Editor's Choice), Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Real, With the Light, Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei and Welcome to the NHK.

Now, if you want an amazing 70+ volume rainbow: the French edition of Detective Conan. It will take some organising, but it will look like one of the gigantic crayon packs when you're done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2