• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlow00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Air (TV)

Genres: drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: bishojo, moe, tragedy

Plot Summary: Yukito Kunisaki is on a journey, seeking a girl with wings who flies in the sky, as mentioned in a childhood tale. During this journey, he settles down in a small town, trying to make some money. There, he meets a strange girl named Misuzu. Misuzu quickly makes Yukito her friend and invites him to stay with her. Yukito decides to stay in the small town, and continue searching for the winged girl his mother had searched for in her life.
----------------------------------

just finished watching this series
i just didn't get it
how many times will i have to watch this in order to fully understand?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
Ask Fred Piro Galagher if you want a synopsis.
XCTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
What don't you understand about it? I can try to explain it.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote
There's a site I always visit to look for info about Air but I might be spamming if I post it here Anime smile
jlow00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
I've watched many other series without question
and i thought that i would understand AIR as it progressed
but at the end i was still like Anime dazed
its the whole 'supernatural' concept that i don't get
i don't wanna name too many scenes and spoilers
but generally from episode 8 onwards

thanks!!
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not really getting it too... an explanation would be nice.. i also think that the web site that dgreater suggested might help too ^ ^
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Air TV: ED
spoiler[Commonly Asked Question:

Why did Misuzu die early?
What's the purpose of Yukito's sacrifice?
What are Misuzu's goals?

Erm... there are plenty, but I would prefer to give my own opinion on just a few...

Remember the line, "putting in an ocean of water to a small container would make the container break"?

Misuzu is somehow, a reincarnation of Kanna or lets just say winged being (from eps. 7-10), but her human body couldn't contain all the spirit and memories a winged being has, so therefore her body gradually weakens to a degree that it will breakdown. Anyway, she has a curse that if she becomes happy due to having companions, she'll feel pain and see dreams and receive some memories. She doesn't have anything that you could consider intimately close to her. And in relation with Yukito's sacrifice, she would have lived long if her mother didn't comeback. The thing that would happen to her would be "Living a long lonely life" or "Living a really short life but filled with memories of happiness with her auntie (mother)". In fact, after Yukito disappeared, she was beginning to recover (not seeing anymore past dreams again [her dreams are related to eps. 7-10]) until her auntie returned and if I'm correct, because she is becoming friendly with her, the curse has returned too. And Yukito's goal? his goal is to give happy memories to the girl in the sky via Misuzu (Kanna [Winged being]). Anyway if you remember the last line Ryuuya said to Uruha (Eps. 9 I guess) "Forget about me and Kanna and be happy with your own life" that's also the same with Yukito, forget about the girl in the sky (Kanna) and be happy with Misuzu, but it was too late as she already lost all hopes to live. The only thing that has save her from dying was Yukito's sacrifice.
As for Misuzu's goals, one is "the love of the mother she desired, the love of the man she adores, and that she wants to see the sea". She received the motherly love she desired, but I wonder about the second, and I also wonder about the third too.

I forgot if it has been mentioned in the Anime about Yukito's wish to go back in time where she first met Misuzu, then surely, he'll never leave her side again. That's when Sora is born.

]

Sorry, I'm not good at explaining things Anime cry but I hope that give you some idea Anime smile
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Thats a pretty damn good explanation.

Uhh sora was the bird right?... what importance does he have?
spoiler[
and by Yukito sacrificing himself, he saved the winged angel or w/e he was talking about earlier right?]

sorry, its sorta sounding like an english prompt or something lol
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's another spoiler

spoiler[and by Yukito sacrificing himself, he saved the winged angel or w/e he was talking about earlier right?

Well, actually, Yukito's sacrifice was for Misuzu's sake. And about Sora, do remember the words Yukito said to Misuzu before he disappeared? something like "I would never leave your side anymore?" he fulfilled that one in the Sora's form.

Actually, the winged one is already gone way back before, that's why she has returned to the cycle of life (reincarnation), but her spirit or memories is suffering from sadness. In order to save it from being tortured, her partial reincarnation should obtain happiness and deliver it to her. Like in Michiru's case, she's a part of the winged one, in the end, she disappears but she did not disappeared with regrets but with happiness. As for Sora, he's Yukito's reincarnation, but not as a human but a crow. His reincarnation as a crow signifies something like a past that has been forgotten. I think it's from Haibane Renmei.

Now here's a question... how come Yukito exist, while there's already a reincarnation of Yukito?

Like before Sora is a wish from the doll (anyway, this doll, if I'm not mistaken, contains magical powers that's been handed down from generations to generation) that Yukito made and is a part of Yukito, just like Michiru is a part of the Winged being.

I think Yukito's soul is a part of Ryuuya's soul though. As a matter of fact, the wound mark that appeared at the back of Yukito tells it all.

And if you're wondering who are the two kids at the end of the series. My guess is "She's a part of the winged being, and the boy is a part of Ryuuya". In the end, she has a thought what lies ahead the ocean. I think Kanna also has a thought similar to that.

And the final words "a tragic days ahead for them, and a new beginning for us". I guess those kids are really a reincarnation of Kanna and Ryuuya, except they don't carry the painful past.

As for the curse that you've been wondering about, in my opinion, it has been broken. And so the boy and the girl in the last scene would be the new beginning without bearing the painful past.

So if we trace back from the true beginning (millions of years), we might end up in an opinion that every soul or memories is connected.

Anyone here played Final Fantasy IX? It almost has the same concept about memories.

]

Last edited by dgreater1 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nirvana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
oh god thanks a lot! I think im gonan rewatch the series...
jlow00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
wow!
thanks dgreater for you extensive analysis
man this series is much deeper than i thought...

now, an explanation for evangelion..
anyone?? hehe kidding
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
jlow00 wrote:

I started watching it, but I thought some of the female characters' faces looked so deformed and ugly that I stopped. Maybe after this I should give it another try.

jlow00 wrote:
now, an explanation for evangelion..
anyone?? hehe kidding

Oh good, there are already 2 Eva threads at the moment Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Nirvana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
jlow00 wrote:

I started watching it, but I thought some of the female characters' faces looked so deformed and ugly that I stopped. Maybe after this I should give it another try.

oh god, you must be crazy... it's seriously the craziest animation I've seen
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
although i like the air art, i know a lot of people that don't. chins are pretty big and the eyes are at the level of the mouth, yea...

the main story of air isn't really that hard to figure out. just think about it for a while, guess and think about how everything is related and it'll come soon enough.

there are a lot of neat touches in terms of storywriting though. i believe there's some lullaby in japanese that relates to minagi's story.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote
I finished Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien last night and decided to give Air another go. OK, I'm glad I did, even though Misuzu's face looks more like a fish's than a girl's Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop gao...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7