Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kyo Kara Muyo


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Faceman
Lind TrusteeLind Trustee


Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 300
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Not to be picky at all, but is Ah! My Goddess really a harem anime? There are only 4 female characters really. The main dude isn't a pushover, just polite and considerate. There is a distinct relationship between Kei and Belldandy, and everyone knows it. Two of the other three women, Urd and Megumi, are pushing for Belldandy and Kei's relationship. The fourth, Skuld, is against it because she's afraid of loosing Belldandy to him. I know it's easy to classify it as a Harem Anime because of the proportion of male to female characters, but I really don't see it as one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 4990
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Maburaho ===> FAIL! Laughing

I seriously need to get my hands on the 2nd volume of Gunslinger Girl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coldfusion5050



Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Surprised Beyond the Clouds DVD release Surprised Surprised

I've been drooling over this since I saw it back in March. Shinkai is nothing short of a genius when it comes to story and directing.

Now, all I need is money Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Raoh



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 357
Location: Florence, OR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Not to be picky at all, but is Ah! My Goddess really a harem anime? There are only 4 female characters really. The main dude isn't a pushover, just polite and considerate. There is a distinct relationship between Kei and Belldandy, and everyone knows it. Two of the other three women, Urd and Megumi, are pushing for Belldandy and Kei's relationship. The fourth, Skuld, is against it because she's afraid of loosing Belldandy to him. I know it's easy to classify it as a Harem Anime because of the proportion of male to female characters, but I really don't see it as one.

I have to agree.

A better statement of a Harme anime would probably be Maburaho, itself. I, myself, conclude any anime/manga that has more than two woman after the main male character to be harem.

I gotta say, as much as I hate to admit, I agree with the Tenchi review. I am such a huge fan of Tenchi that I want to see it in the Shelf Worthy section, but honestly, unless your a fan it will not appeal to you.

Then again, there are loads of Tenchi fans out there, so I am sure it will do amazingly well.

Good review, overall. I will probably check out Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, ASAP.

My interest in them has officially been sparked.

Thanks, BD. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vance1982



Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Location: Owasso, Oklahoma
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with your review of Kyo Kara Moah review, Bamboo. Very Happy I wonder what the rest of the series will be like?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiredgamer



Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Posts: 243
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo is the granddaddy of harem anime, so it would be very hard to find anything it compares well with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel



Joined: 17 Jun 2002
Posts: 819
Location: New York, NY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
:o :o Beyond the Clouds DVD release :o :o

I've been drooling over this since I saw it back in March. Shinkai is nothing short of a genius when it comes to story and directing.

Now, all I need is money :(


I don't know if it'd push it quite that far. Shinkai is certainly gifted, and it's very ince indeed to see a truly original voice come into a market that is so full of rehashes and sequels, but he has quite a ways to go until 'greatness.' Really, *the* one thing that becomes obvious when you watch Beyond the Clouds is that he is still learning just how to pass all these huge stories that he has written down on paper to his audience. Well, that, and of course the face that the actual plot twists at the heart of both this and Voices of a Distant Star really only work *until* you start thinking about them. In any case, some people seem to be hot on comparing him to Miyazaki; to me, on the other hand, Beyond the Clouds is first and foremost a worthy heir to Hideaki Anno's Wings of Honneamise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Phoeptar



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Just thoguht I'd give my input on Naru taru, I agree with the review of the dvd because it only incorporates the first few eps, now I'm going to assume that the reviewer has not seen the show in it's entirety and I'll tell you why.

Probably one of the worst anime I have ever seen, a friend suggested it to me after only watching the first few episodes which are alright, an interesting story begins to unfold with some good character development for both the protagonist and antagonist, but then with no warning the series takes a major turn for the worse.

It introduces new themes and new characters leaving behind old ones, the story doesn't seem to know where it is going, spouting different philosophies then what was first established, the series turns out to be a huge mess with horrible character development and a rediculous plot that mkes no sense.

Plus there are some sexually suggestive situations that are very inapropriate, harasment and even violent sexual acts which is just one of the many things that made this anime so confusing in the end having completely deviated from where it began.

So in summary do not waste your time watching there are many more series out there that are infinitly better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Shadow Star Narutaru is probably one of the most depressing and downright disturbing shows I've ever seen. Each episode is darker than the last and the last few episodes... dear god, that was messed up. And just so you know, the series never gets around to revealing what the dragons are. Someone had the brilliant idea to air Narutaru on a children's channel (yes, that show is indeed aimed at children) and the show was cancelled before the story ended, or so I hear.

EDIT: The above post mentions some problems with the series, but those problems are largely due, I think, to the fact that the series was cancelled. The manga (currently being released by Dark Horse) should fix the disapearing characters and unresolved plot of the anime.


Maburaho wasn't very good, but it does have a few redeeming qualities. Namely, the second half of the series has a bit of twist and actually has some semblance of a plot and character development.


Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hunter Sopko



Joined: 05 Mar 2003
Posts: 259
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo is pretty young, comparatively, to such shows as Urusei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange Road.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 924
Location: Teaching Robot Women How To Love
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Maburaho does have some redeeming qualities. Mostly in the second half, as was mentioned earlier. Some major events occur that cause some interesting character shifts. Any more would be spoilers.

I'd upgrade it to a rental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Ramblin' Wreck



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 924
Location: Teaching Robot Women How To Love
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, disregard double post.

Last edited by The Ramblin' Wreck on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Not to be picky at all, but is Ah! My Goddess really a harem anime? There are only 4 female characters really. The main dude isn't a pushover, just polite and considerate. There is a distinct relationship between Kei and Belldandy, and everyone knows it. Two of the other three women, Urd and Megumi, are pushing for Belldandy and Kei's relationship. The fourth, Skuld, is against it because she's afraid of loosing Belldandy to him. I know it's easy to classify it as a Harem Anime because of the proportion of male to female characters, but I really don't see it as one.


I don't think harem shows have to have all them women fawning over one guy. I've always just considered them to be shounen shows that have one guy + multiple women in close quarters as the main characters. I put Ah! My Goddess there and listed it as a harem anime because I really think Tenchi and AMG really started the whole multiple girls + 1 guy thing. Tenchi had a huge hand in shaping modern harem shows, but AMG was one of the first several hugely popular, international titles that used that gender ratio and had multiple women living under one roof.

I mean, Love Hina only had one character who had a clearly defined "interest" in Keitaro, but that's still a harem title, just because there's a harem of women, who aren't necessarily all fawning over the same guy.

But I do see your point, and I think you're right. I'll reword it a bit; thanks for pointing that out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Phoeptar



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Shadow Star Narutaru is probably one of the most depressing and downright disturbing shows I've ever seen. Each episode is darker than the last and the last few episodes... dear god, that was messed up. And just so you know, the series never gets around to revealing what the dragons are. Someone had the brilliant idea to air Narutaru on a children's channel (yes, that show is indeed aimed at children) and the show was cancelled before the story ended, or so I hear.

EDIT: The above post mentions some problems with the series, but those problems are largely due, I think, to the fact that the series was cancelled. The manga (currently being released by Dark Horse) should fix the disapearing characters and unresolved plot of the anime.


Maburaho wasn't very good, but it does have a few redeeming qualities. Namely, the second half of the series has a bit of twist and actually has some semblance of a plot and character development.


Thank you for clearing up some of the issues that I had with the series, a cancellation would certainly explain the plot and character problems, and I can see why they would cancel the show, for a kids program it certainly went too far with its subject matter in the second half of the show, though i think I could probably overlook the disturbing scenes and enjoy the anime had it been finished and the characters who disapeared actually came back, if someone who has read the manga wouldn't mind perhaps filling me in on what happens when the show ends I would greatly appreciate it, you can email or PM me if you wish in order to keep the forum spoiler free.

thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Raoh



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 357
Location: Florence, OR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I don't think harem shows have to have all them women fawning over one guy. I've always just considered them to be shounen shows that have one guy + multiple women in close quarters as the main characters. I put Ah! My Goddess there and listed it as a harem anime because I really think Tenchi and AMG really started the whole multiple girls + 1 guy thing. Tenchi had a huge hand in shaping modern harem shows, but AMG was one of the first several hugely popular, international titles that used that gender ratio and had multiple women living under one roof.

I mean, Love Hina only had one character who had a clearly defined "interest" in Keitaro, but that's still a harem title, just because there's a harem of women, who aren't necessarily all fawning over the same guy.

But I do see your point, and I think you're right. I'll reword it a bit; thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding Love Hina, I am pretty sure six girls had a clearly deifned interest in Keitaro. Naru, Shinobu, Suu, Motoko, Mutsumi, and Kanako. Mitsune often acted like she had interest, but it wasn't actual interest, she was just trying to get her own way.

Of course, all of these girls' interest is shown in the anime, but more so in the manga version. I, personally, put Love Hina, and for that matter, Akamatsu's other works, A.I. Love You, and Negima, in the harem/comedy category.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group