• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Seed X Astray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Even though Astray is my personal favorite portion of the Gundam SEED mythos, I have to say this is a very fair review. X Astray in itself is a bit of a lull in quality between Astray and the far better Destiny Astray, and doesn't do jack to get readers caught up on events past the first Astray and Astray R. Just jumps right into Canard and Prayer's rather unimpressive little two-volume spat and that's basically that. Fun to read if you're all on the up and up in Astray land, but it's easily one of the sidestory sub-franchise's weaker offerings all the same.

Really, the best part of X Astray is barely five pages in length across both volumes: a crucial turning point in antiheroine Rondo Mina Sahaku's development as a character. The rest is just "meh" waiting around for Jess Rabble & Kaite Madigan to mix things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
relak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Even though Astray is my personal favorite portion of the Gundam SEED mythos, I have to say this is a very fair review. X Astray in itself is a bit of a lull in quality between Astray and the far better Destiny Astray, and doesn't do jack to get readers caught up on events past the first Astray and Astray R. Just jumps right into Canard and Prayer's rather unimpressive little two-volume spat and that's basically that. Fun to read if you're all on the up and up in Astray land, but it's easily one of the sidestory sub-franchise's weaker offerings all the same.

Really, the best part of X Astray is barely five pages in length across both volumes: a crucial turning point in antiheroine Rondo Mina Sahaku's development as a character. The rest is just "meh" waiting around for Jess Rabble & Kaite Madigan to mix things up.

Yup, good review. I agree to many of the points. Personally i too am awaiting Destiny Astray. I loved the first astray but not so much Astray R. Astray X also seems a little rushed in the story. I bet it would have been better with 3 or more volumes but oh well...............

IMO, Gundam Seed Astray beats the Seed anime series in many areas.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Gundam I've never been satisfied with much of the manga it has to offer. X Astray is just another one I didn't like. Now I'm biased- I don't really like Cosmic Era anything, but putting my UC- snob attitude aside, this is still mediocre. It's never fun to have characters and mobile suits that are indistinguishable from one another. Nor is it fun to have a plot that makes you ask yourself "why should I care?".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1