• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kenji Yasuda, director of ARATA The Legend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode so far, and I was disappointed not only with how little they showed of Hinohara's school life, but also with how stiff the animation and facial expressions looked, probably because JM Animation is sharing the brunt of the animation production with Satelight. Still, I was willing to keep watching it because I love the manga and I know there are some great battles, twists and new characters coming up.

However, now that the director said the show will only run for 12 episodes, I'm not sure it will even cover some of the manga's best parts, which is a shame. Arata the Legend is the kind of sprawling epic that could become the next big shonen hit if it got a long-running adaptation in a daytime timeslot, like Magi did.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
I understand why they felt the need to cut Hinohara's back story short, especially with the time constraint of only 12 episodes, but in doing so they changed him from a some-what annoying character to a 100% annoying character. He said that Hinohara was to have a back bone but it felt like all they did was rip his spine out.

I have watched up to episode 2 and I figure that's where I'm going to leave it. spoiler[The scene where Arata and Hinohara finally talk, and Arata tells Hinohara 'Not to trust him.' with out the context of the bullying previously, his 'I don't want to trust and be betrayed' line] feels like, as one of the preview guide reviews put, he's an overly emotional teenager.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1