• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Ayumi Hamasaki, B'z, Kumi Koda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
Is there a link to see the music videos talked about in this article? Like, mtv japan or something to that effect?
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
Eh? No tuning out this time? Must be good stuff, or maybe Mays is getting soft O_O
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:
Eh? No tuning out this time? Must be good stuff, or maybe Mays is getting soft O_O

You can never go wrong with Ayu, B'z, or Koda Kumi.

Hm...that article...eh, everyone knows that Namie Amuro made avex Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
i normally don't like J Pop, but that Fairyland song is very catchy. they need to find some way to market her in the US.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I love B'z! Finally, you guys review something besides girl pop and anime related music. ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
blackjack22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, these reviews are definitely not critical enough. These songs are such generic songs from each respective artist it's not even funny. Ayumi may have released some great material in her day, but that day is past, and her recent material, in fact for the last few years already, has merely been a shadow of its past self, and she's started to recycle all her old material over again. Her fans are getting bored, and this song is merely forgettable fluff that doesn't hold a candle to classics such as "M", "Seasons", and the rest of her hit parade that really made her such a big star in the first place, years ago.

B'z has also been around for so long now that they can't help but start sounding the same in all their newer releases. They were great once, but lately, their songs have been especially dull. This single is especially characteristic of them, and it's one of their most boring, and uninteresting ballads of any of the one's I've heard from them. Once again, their heyday was long ago already.

As for Miss Kumi, Flower is yet another highly unremarkable and boring song that doesn't suit her, and isn't even up to her level at all. We all know she's capable of doing so much better, if only she had the proper material. But it seems she will never rise to the next level because her managers can't even pick the right songs for her to sing. So far nothing has managed to impress me as much as the ballad she did for the Final Fantasy X soundtrack, Sen no Kotoba. It's only been downhill from there, into this new and trashy r&b image and sound which again, doesn't do her justice at all. She's not allowed to show off her vocals, and frankly the songs just suck.

And what is with insulting Queen for. I mean, there are so many other WAY cheesier power ballad bands from the 80's, and 90's. Extreme anyone?? Or how about ANY big hair "heavy metal" band from the 80's. Instead of one of the better bands from BEFORE that period, anyway. And I can't believe it, but Bon Jovi is STILL around. You could've thrown their name in instead.
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i normally don't like J Pop, but that Fairyland song is very catchy. they need to find some way to market her in the US.

She already tried to break it in the US but people didn't seem to like her because she had an accent speaking english Neutral

Also I don't think it would matter what it's rated anyways with these artist because people that are fans will buy it and most won't. Especailly if they didn't have to do with an anime. As much as I like to see J-pop/music info here there's no real point in doing it.

Yeah I'm a little bitter Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1