• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-05-01

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Is it time to point out that American conventions, which have (at least at the ones I've been to) a majority of white attendees, are all dressed as Japanese people, and therefore just as inaccurate? Not that it matters, obviously.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh man that was great Laughing

Yeah you have to be careful of the "just because I've said racist stuff doesn't mean I'm racist" thing. I mean sure sometimes we might think racist things from time to time, and sterotyping is only human(much as that sucks). When you say those things aloud though you're pretty much digging your own grave and your likely saying them for a reason. Even worse doing it on the net.

Last edited by Divineking on Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper I think everyone is at least a little racist whether they want to admit it or not(which sucks but I've seen it as kind of true), this was a very nice jab at that concept, nice job!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Kevin's logic countered theirs and it caused a nuke in their brains. Brilliant! XD
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Oh man that was great Laughing

Yeah you have to be careful of the "just because I've said racist stuff doesn't mean I'm racist" thing. I mean sure sometimes we might think racist things from time to time, and sterotyping is only human(much as that sucks). When you say those things aloud though you're pretty much digging your own grave and your likely saying them for a reason. Even worse doing it on the net.

Context is key, if you say blatantly racist based jokes to your friends and both parties have thrown such comments at eachother in the past there should be no issue unless you shout such comments at the top of your lungs.
That said, if you make racist jabs at a stranger you deserve what you get.
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
i live in detroit and this is even funnier because at youmacon i have seen characters not the "proper" color all the time i just roll with it if they love the characters and want to be them then more power to them. I'm sure the orinal creators would be pleased as punch that their characters are popular across demographic, incidently this is my same feeling for cross playing, man girls have some of the best cosplay designs to work with.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is a "TOTES"? That was funny as all hell.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
If you say/think racist things and acknowledge they're racist, then you are not a racist.

If you say/think racist things and don't acknowledge that they're racist, then you are a racist.

It's the same with most other negative/harmful things - the quality of the statement or thought doesn't show what you are. It's the acknowledgement that it's wrong (or lack acknowledgement) that shows what the person is.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
What the hell is a "TOTES"? That was funny as all hell.

Totes = "Totally."
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Anime hyper I think everyone is at least a little racist whether they want to admit it or not(which sucks but I've seen it as kind of true), this was a very nice jab at that concept, nice job!

This isn't a jab at everyone being a little racist. This was a jab at people who say racist things, defend themselves by saying it was a joke, and then rage at the idea of being called racists. Maybe these 2 characters were just joking, but had the bad sense of saying their joke to someone who doesn't know either of them and doesn't get their sense of humor. People CAN be that awkward, especially at anime conventions. I have all too many friends (majorily white)who are willing to throw around racist slurs at the drop of a hat to sound funny, and being puerto rican myself, I can find myself extremely uncomfortable around them when they don't get put in check to remember that the things they say can actually be [expletive] hurtful, even in a joking context. A racial joke said once can be just a joke amongst friends. A racist joke said over and over, multiple times over long periods just becomes a racist slur.

I'm not going to pretend like racism doesn't exist on other sides. White people aren't the only racist people around. I remember a few years ago some guy on facebook starting a huge mess because he wanted cosplay to belong to no one but asians, even though he himself wasn't(so yeah, he was a delusional troll, but he got a lot of people agreeing with him as well as more disagreeing and with the numbers he had, it was very likely more than a few were legit agreeing and not just trolling). People just need to know what things are and aren't ok to say as well as where they aren't ok to say and who they aren't ok to say around. I'm of the opinion that if you have to make a mental check on any of these things on what you were about to say, what you were about to say was probably not very much worth saying.

LavenderMintRose wrote:
If you say/think racist things and acknowledge they're racist, then you are not a racist.

If you say/think racist things and don't acknowledge that they're racist, then you are a racist.

It's the same with most other negative/harmful things - the quality of the statement or thought doesn't show what you are. It's the acknowledgement that it's wrong (or lack acknowledgement) that shows what the person is.

No, no and no. You can totally say something racist, know that it's racist, and be a racist. There are definitely more than a few unaware racists out there, but the majority of them know exactly what they are doing and what they are saying. That's why they are saying it. Acknowledgement of what you say is wrong doesn't excuse you for saying it, acknowledgement is what prevents you from saying something stupid in the first place!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Is it time to point out that American conventions, which have (at least at the ones I've been to) a majority of white attendees, are all dressed as Japanese people, and therefore just as inaccurate? Not that it matters, obviously.

Exactly what I was thinking.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been to Highland town where there's a proportionate amount of latinos. I went to two local grocery stores and was amazed how there were no tortilla chips anywhere in there. Racist or not racist enough?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
On this note, I've even seen black people claim that people are "being racist" and "using blackface" because they're a white person using makeup to darken their skin to cosplay a black character. When countered, the person confirmed that, yes, it would be racist for them to try to use makeup to lighten their skin to cosplay a white character.

I have never been, and never will be with the people who are adamant about how people shouldn't be allowed to cosplay outside their body type/gender/skin color/etc. But if someone is (respectfully, of course) altering their appearance to look more like the character? That's not racism.
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's a little bit racist, sometiiiiiiiimes, Doesn't mean go around committing hate criiiiiiii-iiiiiimes . . . .

Anyway, I was reading this article earlier written by a black cosplayer on all the crap she has to deal with. And even if you're not the correct race color it can still be a "cool" look. I once actually saw a black Sailor Pluto cosplayer and thought she looked awesome. And that time Cristina Vee cosplayed Haruhi (as she appeared in this video game).

Although I felt the same way towards people who think "anyone who isn't Asian shouldn't cosplay--no one else looks as good", particularly on Youtube were pretty awful. Not all anime characters are Asian anyway. Could you imagine a con where only one race was allowed to cosplay?

On Paola's costume, I actually did think a few times if that live-action Eva was ever made, I could see Ritsuko being Race Lift-ed (even though the costume is Misato).

Last edited by Crystal on Wed May 01, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Anime hyper I think everyone is at least a little racist

sometimes Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3