• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free Anime in Australia: 15/Jul - 21/Jul

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefifthring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Should Madoka be shown on Australian television, i don't believe it is appropriate for the age group that watch ABC3, they tried to show it before and had to stop showing it because of the inappropriate content like the nudity in the opener, the violence and the fact that it is extremely depressing. i personally believe it should not be shown on children's tv but i was wondering what other people thought. I also don't want potential future otakus to be exposed to the awful English dubbing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Your opinion on dubs notwithstanding... is it the same age group watching ABC at 8:40PM that would be watching the channel during prime time?
The Classification Board gave Madoka a Mature rating, as in "not suitable for under 15s". While ABC have rated it differently at PG, they are still airing it past the 8:30 watershed for M-rated programmes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
thefifthring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
but ABC3 is stil a program aimed at small children and as someone who has a little brother who sits in front of it 24/7 i can pretty much guarantee that when they announce the show they will do very little to stop a younger crowd from viewing it. it will begin with a cheerful introduction from the annoying hosts and a feminine opening theme before launching into an episode where everything seems very tame until SOMEONE GETS THEIR HEAD TORN OFF!!!! i watched that scene when i was fifteen and they didn't even show mami's head actually coming off and it still made me maniacally depressed for three days.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is a good thing, Madoka is one of the best anime in recent years, and I think that the exposure could do well for seeing anime as the art that it is.

Oh, also I am 22, and I watch ABC3 on a regular basis, I like cartoons, and GoodGame. older people are allowed to watch it. I have already shown the series to my 11 year old brother and he was not so deeply affected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1