• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2005 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Jigoku Shoujo has some awesome production values, but this just aint scary at all. it's more about a bunch of redemption nonsense than horror. i'm hoping they make this concept work better in the coming episodes. the whole "string" thing sucks, and ruins a lot of possibilities.

figures just like it's predecessor that Mai Otome would be criminally overrated.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
So once again, Canvas 2 goes un-noticed.

I mean, an anime about dogs talking gets mentioned before F&C's stuff?

*sighs* It's okay Hagino, it's okay.
xSUiT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
iunno I thought the second ep of Black Cat was definitely a different but ah well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yukimi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Jigoku Shoujo. I didn't expect it to be scary...I never expect any anime to be scary. I just like seeing who's going to get dragged to hell and why. Laughing The horror part probably comes in with the fact that exacting your revenge on someone will result in you being dragged to hell.

Blood+ is pretty interesting...and so is Shakugan no Shana.

Ginban Kaleidoscope was kinda...funky. At times, the characters looked REALLY odd. They looked like the fanart sent in to some magazines...it looks okay, but there's just something about it that's not right.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The concept of Jigoku Shoujo (okay, I'm not going to talk about Faust and other classics) has been adapted as a manga about a decade ago. Details to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Genjackel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first episode of Blood+ and so far it looks pretty good, though I do really like the artwork from the movie.

As for Black Cat, the first episode was cool, and the way the animated the beginning of the second part inspires me for film, but after that it changed a little bit. I liked it still, but it made me go eh...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Ugh! The first Canvas series was utter crap spoiler[despite the mastubation scene that girl did and the later sex scene.] The whole premise of the sequel still looks mediocre.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I had Canvas 2 but I'd never seen Canvas 1 so I didn't really feel right reviewing it.

Same with Magical Girl Lyrical Nonoha A's.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Awww bad news for Weed?
I'm pretty sure LEGEND OF THE SILVER FANG: WEED was adapted from Yoshihiro Takahashi's beloved Ginga Legend WEED series which is the sequel to Ginga-Nagareboshi Gin (a series about Weed's father). I thought the manga was pretty light hearted and decent especially for animal lovers. Comcsone only release the first 3 volume, so I'm not sure how it will end though. And yes they are dogs that are given human persona so they can communicate with each other, plus talking animal has always been a staple in animation for disney (bambi) and anime (gokusen, Princess Mononoke or wolf's rain anyone?), so is it that big of a shock? Hopefully the series pickup and become one of those underrated series that nobody ever give a chance.

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Jigoku Shoujo had some great potential there but from the first episode, I don't see how anyone could say it was fully realized. It was a bit too slow and the "scares" that it tried to give you were lame. Seems sadly like a case of style over substance. But hey, maybe episode two will turn that all around afterall.

This guide definately needs a part two though. You've missed the great Noein which is possibly my favorite of the season so far. Also the hilariously bad Itaden Jump, the amusing Animal Yokocho, and a handful of others as well.

And from what I saw of Canvas 2, it might quite possibly be the very worst of the season.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
One thing that's really groundbreaking about this show that needs to be mentioned: the closing theme, believe it or not, is the smash hit Franz Ferdinand song, "Do You Want To". This is an unprecedented mix of east and west; to have a a brand-new hit song that's all over the radio and topping the billboard charts in America be the closing theme for a big new anime in Japan.

Although comparing the Delgados to Franz doesn't really work too well, other than that they're both British bands, calling this "unprecedented" is a stretch when Gunslinger Girl did the same what, two years ago?

On the other hand, granted, in this case, going with "Do You Want To" probably *was* a commercial decision, and not just the result of somebody on the production staff being a Franz fan...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zecheriah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mai-HiME was considered 'hyped'? Shocked I rarely heard/hear about it, though I did think it was a great series...and Mai-Otome doesn't look too bad at all from what I saw of the first two episodes. (By the way, the main character's name is Arika, not Akira. I think that link in the article might not have been meant to go there Razz )

Sounds like Black Cat isn't going to adhere to the manga too much, but I'll still definitely be checking it out at some point...as well as Jigoku Shoujo- wasn't even aware it existed until now, but sure seems interesting.

Last edited by Zecheriah on Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
One thing that's really groundbreaking about this show that needs to be mentioned: the closing theme, believe it or not, is the smash hit Franz Ferdinand song, "Do You Want To". This is an unprecedented mix of east and west; to have a a brand-new hit song that's all over the radio and topping the billboard charts in America be the closing theme for a big new anime in Japan.

Although comparing the Delgados to Franz doesn't really work too well, other than that they're both British bands, calling this "unprecedented" is a stretch when Gunslinger Girl did the same what, two years ago?

On the other hand, granted, in this case, going with "Do You Want To" probably *was* a commercial decision, and not just the result of somebody on the production staff being a Franz fan...

Uh, and the Backstreet Boys did the opening theme for a show a few years back, but again, neither of these bands were at the very peak of their popularity like Franz is right now. I've never seen a case where a gigant hit single that's huge in America is the theme song for a show that's on at the same time in Japan.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
Seems sadly like a case of style over substance. But hey, maybe episode two will turn that all around afterall.

Well y'know, considering the medium we're talking about here, I don't really see the issue with the first episode. It's anime. The vast majority of anime series operate on "style-over-substance" for the first episode or two, even what some would consider the greatest series of all time (Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc., etc., etc.). It's a great way to give a first impression that'll be sure to hook the audience long enough to give the substance time to grow, so discounting a show that seems to suggest a greater depth just because the first episode or two were all flash and little story just seems a bit off to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Some great talking animal films:

Secret of Nimh
Watership Down
Charlotte's Web
Twelve Kingdoms (C'mon Rakushun rocks!!)
Chicken Run

otherwise, great article, Zac!

-Franky
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4