• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess's Wedding Dress Anime Inspired ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd been reading abou the wedding for a couple of days, so its nice that this connection gives me a chance to actually write about it on ANN.

I've compared the Cagliostro dress to Sayako's dress, and the similarities are there, but it definitely isn't a carbon copy or anything...

-t
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
It's not a very pretty dress on its own and it doesn't really do much for her, IMO. It's neat that she apparently got the idea from an anime movie, but it looks a bit too plain to me.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, from a palace to one bedroom apartment. She must really love the guy
Reliak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little more surprised that Crown Princess Masako (her sister-in-law, I believe) showed up also wearing white...isn't it bad etiquette for anyone other than the bride to wear white at a wedding?
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the culture, I'm guessing that idea doesn't really exist in japan.

I don't really know though.
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
IINM, the color white in the Japanese culture has a different connotation than it does for us. Whereas here, white is a sign of purity/virginity (the old traditional prohibition against non-virgin brides wearing white, for instance), in Japan white is a symbol of joyful mourning, i.e. the family and bride mourning the departure from her old family to join her new family.
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, her dress is painfully simplistic. I wouldn't even say it was inspired by Cagliostro, since it's a simple round neck and made out of a heavy matte satin. No puffy sleeves, it wasn't short sleeved with white satin gloves. So any similar qualities is that they're both white... and both long dresses. That's about it.

Last edited by SakuraPurinsesu on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Space Goats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
She shouldn't wear something so plain. It draws too much attention to.. well, her face.
pythos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
She's 36. Do you really expect her to wear something with puffy sleeves, ruffles, and sequins?

And plain? Did anyone else look at the dresses the other Princesses and the Empress wore? They're mostly tasteful and subdued. Even the turquoise dress, while more colorful, is rather plain.

The wedding was informal by royal standards and similar to of "ordinary citizens." In addition it was a daytime ceremony, which are more informal.

(Edit: corrected mispelling)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
SakuraPurinsesu wrote:
Hmm, her dress is painfully simplistic. I wouldn't even say it was inspired by Cagliostro, since it's a simple round neck and made out of a heavy matte satin. No puffy sleeves, it wasn't shirt sleeved with white satin gloves. So any similar qualities is that they're both white... and both long dresses.

The details are different at the neck, shoulders and arms, but most importantly, the overall form of the dresses are very similar IMHO. There's a lot more to a dress than the neckline the shoulders and the sleeves...

Of course the one in Cagliostro wouldn't have been satin either.

In essense, it's the original dress updated for modern tastes. Poofy shoulders and short sleeves are all very 80s and earlier...

-t
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
^^; It doesn't fit her very well. I can understand her wanting a plain, simple dress, but the material and the way it was cut makes it stand out in a stiff pouf around her figure. It's almost like she's wearing a sheer coat.

Man, she should've had her daddy wrangle them a better apartment.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Man, she should've had her daddy wrangle them a better apartment.

Somehow me thinks it isn't a small 20 tatami 1LDK apartment. (1 Tatami = 1.6 sq m or 17 square feet)

Tokyo rent for a 1 bedroom apartment ranges from 50,000 yen (or less) to over 500,000 yen a month.

Still, even if it's a 100 square meter apartment, it'd be a huge step down from a palace.

-t
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
i imagine a princess lifestyle to suck. being a princess and having people do stuff for you 24/7 is boring if it's all you know.

seriously, living a normal life is not shabby if it's all new to you. the freedom of being a normal citizen must be great if you've been chained to the palace all your life.
Kuroki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
seriously, living a normal life is not shabby if it's all new to you. the freedom of being a normal citizen must be great if you've been chained to the palace all your life.

I can't imagine she will have much freedom. The press will be all over her for the rest of her life.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kuroki wrote:
apple pro wrote:

I can't imagine she will have much freedom. The press will be all over her for the rest of her life.

This freedom will eventually be there.Soon the press will get bored by covering and her freedom will given to her.
This shows what true love(hopefully it is this) will do to a person and what they will give up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2