• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Play to Shut Down

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
I am really disapointed that this is they are closing down, but I have no controal over what the corprate HQ is thinking.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Musicland's Sam Goody and Suncoast stores will not be affected.

Thank God. I was worried when first saw this article. I'm glad Suncoast won't be affected.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Suncoast shutting down. Now THAT'S funny! Laughing
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the MediaPlay here was actually still making a profit, which makes it extra disappointing it's closing. That and the fact that it's effectively the ONLY store of its kind here, there's not Suncoasts nor Borders nor anything in the area, just one Best Buy and then the comic shops and places that sometimes carry random media.

Hm, now maybe that's why it was still making money...

I hope if we have to lose the MediaPlay we'll get either a Suncoast or Borders or something instead.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
actually makes sense now that i think about it. i can't remember the last time i heard anything about Media Play.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This isn't surprising. Media Play has been suffering a long, slow death ever since the Best Buy Corporation dumped the Musicland Corporation onto new buyers back in 2003. This left the Media Play stores looking like a badly maintained ghetto. It's a sad observation that I've seen from visiting multiple Media Play stores over the last few months. It's true, though. Media Play needed to be put out of its misery long ago.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Aww..this makes me a little sad...I rather preferred Media Play to Suncoast when I was living in a town that had both of them (there aren't any Media Play's for 250 miles where I am now, but two Suncoasts within 20). Media Play was often a few bucks cheaper and they had started selling Used DVDs..which I guess Suncoast just recently started that up. Still, I can't even think of the last time I went into a Sam Goody ...years. I guess it's just to hard to for Media Play to compete with Best Buy and Amazon and books stores like Borders and Barnes and Nobel. A fond farewell Media Play! Sad
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I've never even HEARD of the Media Play store line. Not surprising they're shutting down. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rkenshin21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
this is so dissapointing for me. I say this because media play is the only place with the largest anime collection of DVD's in my area. They had everything and anything i wanted. Every other store in my area doesnt have crap for anime. Which is depressing. Im also very sad because there is no Sam Goody or any of their other stores here at all. Id have to travel 30 miles to get to one!!!!!!! way out of town. Its ridiculous. We had 5 media plays. This is a huge blow in my area. *cries inside*
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder though, if that means crazy sales at Media Plays, or if they'll just ship products to sibling chains Suncoast and Sam Goody?
rpb3000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Crazy sales would be nice Anime smile

But really, I'm sad to see it go. From the few I've been in, they were cheaper than Suncoast and had a much wider selection. ..sigh.. ah well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
When Sam Goody closed in my area, they just closed their doors and shipped all the DVDs, CDs, games, and other electronics to other stores or back to the warehouse. All the toys and stuff were marked as to be destroyed.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
There used to be a MediaPlay in my city. Then the corp decided to close a quarter of their stores. Basically they sold part of the store's stock to a liquidator and the rest was shipped back to the warehouse.

Liquidation may seem cheapcheapcheap, but it's not. Most liquidators price goods to MSRP+margin (30-40%), and then knock that final price 50%-80% down. This means you are usually only getting 10% or 20% off the actual sale price when the store was in operation. Since the liquidator purchases the stock for a low percentage of its wholesale (what the original company bought it for) they make a good profit. And because of all those signs proclaiming "LIQUIDATION!! EVERYTHING IS 50% TO 80% OFF!!" they get feet beating into the store. Sometimes more interest than when the store originally opened.
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I work at Suncoast and found out about this over the weekend. According to my boss Mediaplay was about 80% of Musicland's debt which is why they're dropping them. I hate to see it go though because I know a lot of customers who live pretty far away and found it easier to go to the Mediaplay in their area. I know the Mediaplays here in Columbus are having crazy sales from what I've heard
Tonboko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I found out my Media Play was closing last night, now I find out it is all of them. It's really sad because my local Media Play was going GREAT! They had a HUGE dvd selection, they staff was super nice (and COMPETENT, a rare thing at media stores in this area) and they would even order stuff from overseas.

They had the largest anime and manga section in town, and better prices than most. (Best Buy would occasionally beat them on price, but they had a smaller selection of series, and those they had they will not even keep all the volumes in stock or even order them in some cases)

And the local Suncost is a joke. Not only is everything at "retail" price, but the anime section is a third the size of Media Play's and a third of what they have is hentai.

Its a sad, sad day for movie lovers and anime fans.... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3