• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, August 19-25

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
well there is a quite a difference in sales between attack on titan 1 and 2
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
Yes Ralph! It seems that Koichi Yamadera can do anything.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Just as a rough back-of-the-envelope calculation and going by amazon.co.jp prices, AoT vol. 1 has netted about $1.5M so far, and volume 2 about $1.3M. I wonder what it's budget is?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
I like that the event ticket discs are labeled as such. They're definitely not buying the anime because they actually like it. That's an easy explanation for why the DVD sold twice as many units.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like that the event ticket discs are labeled as such. They're definitely not buying the anime because they actually like it. That's an easy explanation for why the DVD sold twice as many units.

exactly what are those event tickets for?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:

Concerts, seiyuu-meeting things, and so on. The biggest way to tell if the ticket is the sole pusher of discs is to look at the other volume sales that have no such ticket. But I guess a ticket isn't always a guarantee of sales, some things with tickets still do poorly. Guess it depends on the show and the kind of event, or who may be there.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Tr1ckR wrote:

Concerts, seiyuu-meeting things, and so on. The biggest way to tell if the ticket is the sole pusher of discs is to look at the other volume sales that have no such ticket. But I guess a ticket isn't always a guarantee of sales, some things with tickets still do poorly. Guess it depends on the show and the kind of event, or who may be there.
It is ALL about who it is. Events with no bodies sell no more tickets. Events with popular seiyuu, like the ones in Brothers Conflict or UtaPri sell tens of thousands of ticket applications. Note that these aren't even the tickets, they are like lottary tickets for the privilege of buying the concert tickets.

Guys do it too. LoveLive1 volumes 1 and 7 have event tickets and voila, 10K extra sales for each compared to the other 5 volumes.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
At about 80K in Blu Ray sales and over 20 million volumes of the manga sold, I'm really surprised that we haven't heard anything about a second season of AoT.

I know there is a spinoff in the works, but I would be really surprised if it didn't get another 25/26 episode run with another season.

Looking forward to Funi's release of AoT next year. Awesome series, just alot of fun and it's the only show I am watching in real time.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
AoT 2nd season is inevitable, they just very rarely ever announce a 2nd season while the first is still airing unless it was planned beforehand to begin with. We'll probably hear something about it within the next year
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
I am wondering how Aniplex is justifying another season of Magi with such low sales (Valvrave is on the same boat to certain extent). I thought that additional seasons depended pretty much exclusively on home video sales.

Also, I am surprised how poorly Servant x Service is doing. It is not the best show in the world, but it seems to have the stuff otaku like in their anime.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am wondering how Aniplex is justifying another season of Magi with such low sales (Valvrave is on the same boat to certain extent). I thought that additional seasons depended pretty much exclusively on home video sales.

They were both split cour to begin with. Well, in Magis case I guess "Split cour" isn't technically correct, but they had already decided on making a sequel while the first was in production.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

They were both split cour to begin with. Well, in Magis case I guess "Split cour" isn't technically correct, but they had already decided on making a sequel while the first was in production.

That makes sense, but I imagine that Aniplex decided on a second season of Magi with the expectation that the first season was going to sell better than it actually did.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Not really enough manga ready for another 2-cour season of AoT. Need to wait a while I think but obviously it will happen unless the world is overrun by Titans first.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
ashura zoldyck wrote:
well there is a quite a difference in sales between attack on titan 1 and 2

AoT1 sold 56k in its first week.
AoT2 sold 43k in its first week.

I'd said is a drop within the range. It's a 23% drop, yeah, but selling 43k isn't bad at all. Now, think that volume1 has sold 71k copies to this day, and that makes me believe that volume2 will sell at least 51-52k.

RyanSaotome wrote:
AoT 2nd season is inevitable, they just very rarely ever announce a 2nd season while the first is still airing unless it was planned beforehand to begin with. We'll probably hear something about it within the next year

They don't have enough material for a 2cour 2nd season. I think we must have to wait at least 3 or 5 years. Maybe even Before the Fall will get an adaptation before an AoT second season.

angelmcazares wrote:

Also, I am surprised how poorly Servant x Service is doing. It is not the best show in the world, but it seems to have the stuff otaku like in their anime.

I believe anime adaptations like Magi are aimed to boost the manga sales. But that seems a bit weird in this case, judging by how A-1 raped the source material, and that being the reason why I dropped it. Little stupid and unnecessary changes makes me really mad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Not too surprised that Aku no Hana didn't make the BD short list, but I thought it had a chance at ~500 DVDs. Guess not. Now to see if it makes the longer BD list.

I'm surprised Servant x Service did as (relatively) poorly as it did given that it's a discounted 1st volume and is closely tied to Working which both seasons did much, much better. Still, 4-5k isn't terrible, but I'm curious to see whether its audience will buy the non-discounted volumes as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3