• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: High School Girls GN 1-6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although a reference is made about an upcoming volume 7 at the end of volume 6, only six volumes have actually been released in the States (courtesy of DrMaster) or Japan to this date.

In another forum, someone who lives in Japan said that volume 7 has, in fact, come out in Japan.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
In another forum, someone who lives in Japan said that volume 7 has, in fact, come out in Japan.

Yes, on March 11.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
And here I just went through the effort of finding his post Sad

Oh well, I'll post it anyways.

kisaragi wrote:
I didn't know there were English and Chinese version of Joshikosei Girl's High manga. Are they selling well?

The manga series is still ongoing in Comic High magazine. The volume 7 was already published on March 11th in Japan.

BTW, Comic High is fairly unusual among manga magazines because it's targeted at both men and women. The readers can read bishoujo manga for males and bishounen series for female at the same time.

This was good news for me because neither AoD's manga comparison nor ANN had any info regarding new volumes. Volume 6 was released in '04 (I think) in Japan, so I could only assume it got cancelled or something.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some aspects seem to suggest that it’s intended for guys (occasional sexy poses by some characters, bits of what could be construed as fan service here and there) but the content carries a distinct female perspective and deals more with female issues than male issue. The overall impression is that it’s intended for guys who want to take a look into the “other side” of high school life, although most female readers could probably find a lot to relate to here.

As a girl reader of this series, I think it's really for girls, with the fan service thrown in for hapless guys who have stumbled upon the book... but I can see where this is debatable. On one hand you get panty shots, but on the other hand in the fist chapter there's a pile of trimmed pubic hair in the swim club's room, which is totally disgusting!

Quote:
Those who do give it a chance will find it to be a fairly typical but usually entertaining slice-of-life comedy series.

I don't think that High School Girls is "typical" at all. I found it refreshingly different from everything else out there. You (the reviewer) had to kind of stretch to reach the Azumanga comparison. To me High School Girls is like a comedic series of documentary shorts... I even had my boyfriend read it, and he thinks it's hilarious.

The characterizations aren't particularly deep, per say, instead it's more of an all-girls-school groupthink mentality. I have to disagree with this part:

Quote:
the smart and enthusiastic but clumsy one, the jock, and the one with a boyfriend.

Which one is the jock? None of the primary characters are in any sports. One of them is in the drama club, but that's about it. "The one with a boyfriend" is not really a manga stereotype I'm familiar with (maybe it's a real-life stereotype?) but her character is interesting because of her atypical family - her sister is a hostess and her mother owns a bar! When they appear at the school festival it's an awesome and hilarious moment torn from the pages of real life.

I think it deserves better than a B-. I'm really looking forward to the anime of the series this spring![/quote]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The jock probably refers to Himeji (the blonde haired girl in the pic for the review), a 2nd string member. She is the only one in a sports club. However, I think "the slut" would be a better stereotype for her. She's the only non-virgin of the group and she really, er, gets around.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to pick up this series, but the covers are embarassing. It's enough of a challenge with Shojo Beat...Plus it sounds like it's just trying to be lowbrow, but not so much as Tenjho Tenge, so maybe I'll consider it eventually.
astra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
"As their high school lives progress they deal with all the typical high school tribulations – perverted teachers, class trips, health exams..."

Um, what? As far as I have experienced, perverted teachers tend to be isolated incidents that don't happen much. Sure, we always knew who had a more than professional attitude toward his students, but it was never as out in the open as it is in manga. If Japanese girls truly have to live through sexual harrassment from their educators, then Japan has a horrible education system. I hate that manga trivializes this stuff and even uses it as a basis for humor. Perverted teachers are not "typical."

Of course this thing is for guys; it ran in a magazine called "Weekly Manga Action." Anyway, I'll be checking it out because I go to an all-women's college.

Last edited by astra on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
The 'perverted teacher' must have been in the first volume, which I haven't read yet. From what I read, the perverted teachers exist only in the girls' imaginations (which are quite active). Two teachers show up regularly and neither are perverts.
astra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's good to hear. Maybe they should change that blurb Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The 'perverted teacher' must have been in the first volume, which I haven't read yet. From what I read, the perverted teachers exist only in the girls' imaginations (which are quite active). Two teachers show up regularly and neither are perverts.

Mostly the highlighted part is true, I think; imagining such things is common high school student behavior. There were spoiler[the two male teachers hanging around during the health checks when they didn't need to be,] though - volume 4, I think? - and the way the girls always played around with the teacher they named Hottie.

And although most teachers are professional about such matters here in the States, about once a year or so in the major metropolitan area where I live some incident comes up involving inappropriate teacher behavior of this nature, and I'm sure that it goes on much more than is reported. (And I can say this objectively, since I am a high school teacher.) If it goes on here, then I'm sure it's more prevalent in Japan, given the frequency that is comes up in anime and manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1