• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things you don't like about anime you enjoy.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Even if you like these shows, it doesn't hurt to point out flaws.

Naruto- Anything involving the Uchiha Clan. First, we get Itachi, who basically turns into a messiah after spoiler[he dies and gets his backstory revealed]. So, everyone just suddenly forgot about him slaughtering his clan, and then mind-raping Kakashi. This is just as annoying as Harry Potter suddenly worshipping spoiler[Snape after his backstory was revealed, despite years of being a complete a-hole to him and joined the Magic Nazis just because he couldn't get in his mother's panties]. Then there's everyone spoiler[instantly forgiving Sasuke]. Even if spoiler[his reform was genuine, he still murdered a political figure and would have killed his own lackeys to achieve that]. Finally, the Sharingan, or as it's translated into English, the Eye of Plot Convenience.

One Piece- Despite talking about OP a lot in a negative light, I don't hate it. I enjoyed it up until the timeskip. However, there are some things about it that need to be said. For one, Oda's tendency to put comedy (whether it be intentional or not) in dramatic scenes. For intentional, let's talk about when spoiler[Nami's mother died]. It was one of the most heartbreaking scenes in the series. We get a brief montage of their happy moments. One flashback that outright ruined the drama was a clip of spoiler[Nami and her sister getting scolded for beating up two children. Nami then tells her mother that they said her tangerines sucked, so she then starts beating up the kids]. Really, Oda? You took what many considered the saddest moment in the series, and decide to throw in a quick child abuse joke? That just made me lose sympathy for Nami and her mother. Now, for the unintentional comedy comes within the art style. Now, I'm not one to judge a series for how it's drawn, but sometimes, it can really clash. Whenever you see somebody crying, you always see that comedic crying look with snot running down their faces. One particularly bad moment was when spoiler[Ace died]. The face Luffy was making was too silly for me to take it seriously. I also think the series jumped the shark by having a tournament arc. I mean, does every SJ series need a bloody tournament? With DBZ, it made sense since it was a martial arts anime. With YGO, it made sense since it was a series about playing games. But OP? It's a series about pirates. In fact, they barely bring up the titular treasure anymore. If it weren't for Luffy saying "I'm going to be King of the Pirates," you'd think he forgot what he was.

High School of the Dead- If it didn't have the excessive fanservice, it would have went from good to great. Also, the anime ended too soon, before the characters could really develop.

Tiger and Bunny- Lunatic. Not that he was a bad character, but his character felt unresolved. I get that if spoiler[he got arrested, nobody would have killed Maverick], but spoiler[Maverick already turned himself into a vegetable, so would he really need to die]?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The only show that I can think of right now is Case Closed.
I really love the show, mostly because of the characters, but I am constantly annoyed by Conan keeping his identity secret from Rachel/Ran.
I think that it would be better for everybody* if he told her what had happened and made her believe it. It could also make for some interesting plot lines.

*Of course there is the very real possibility that she would beat the living crap out of him when she remembered that he had seen her naked, among other things.Very Happy

EDIT: All that I have seen is what Funimation released, which is probably only about 20% of the show, so it is possible that he has told her and I just do not know about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Case Closed is that it really needs to end. If you missed a few cases, you wouldn't miss anything important. Now, I just read/watch it if it's a case that involves the Black Organization, which we get about once a year. Not to mention that it gets really repetitive. Conan, Ran, and Kogoro go somewhere, the guy who's a complete A-hole to everyone dies, Kogoro screws around, Conan knocks him out, and the killer turns out to be the nicest guy in the group. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Again, I don't hate DC/CC. I find it impressive that Gosho Aoyama can come up with so many cases for almost 20 years. However, the series really needs to end already. Hell, "InuYasha" had to end eventually too.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I loved Girl Meets Girl, except that the entire support cast was worthless filler characters. The only 3 that mattered were the main 3 and everyone else could've easily buggered off. It wasn't a show about fixing the dude's transformation. It was a show about fixing the relationships.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Full Moon Wo Sagashite How Mitsuki goes on and on about how "wonderful" "Eichi-kun" is, even though he sucks as a character and Takuto is a far better character AND man for her in every single way POSSIBLE. Twisted Evil

Inuyasha Dear God, if I have to watch that damn betrayal flashback one more freaking time.....!!

Kannazuki No Miko CHIKANE. Just....Chikane. And the ending. But mostly Chikane.

Chrono Crusade DAT ENDING. BOO.

Air TV Misuzu's spoiler[death]

Elfen Lied KoutaxYuuka pairing? Yuuka herself? Gag me with a spoon. And we didn't need the puppy scene. NO, WE DIDN'T.

Hidan No Aria Shirayuki. =_=

Madoka Magica That spoiler[Homura is separated from the person she loves the most.] That's CRUEL!

Sword Art Online Suguha. alidfjlakjfd And spoiler[molestation of Asuna]

Dansai Bunri No Crime Edge Uhmmm any ecchi bits involving bodily functions...yeah, no thanks. Anime hyper And that blonde whore with the giant breasts who spoiler[KISSED MY-I MEAN IWAI'S KIRI-KUN!!] WRONG!! WRONG WRONG WROOOOOOOOONG!!

Kamisama No Inai Nichiyoubi Ai being an spoiler[orphan]. Yes, it's necessary for the story...but it still rips my heart out! Especially since both of her parents are freaking awesome! Anime cry Speaking of which, I HATE how spoiler[Kizuna Astin], made to look like a LEAD character, was in THREE episodes....wtf is that!?Twisted Evil

Regardless of all this, all of these anime are (or will be) on my DVD shelf, like the prized possessions of art that they are.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
What I don't like is the uneven release of anime parts in legal, licensed sources. Often I watch a series and have no access to the related OVAs and sometimes whole seasons.

Unless I want to torrent down fan subs from this site or that -- and the availability there is uncertain. On top of it: copyright violations with the NSA watching.

Then there's the censorship thing. Yeah I get it some conceptual depiction of things are horrifying or damaging to people who don't have the wit to just not watch it but why do I have to be subjected to their hang ups?
thewrll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
If there is going to be a censored version, there should also be an uncensored version. Similar to subs and dubs of the same episode on a disk.

Last edited by thewrll on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
And here I thought anime censorship {and rating systems in general} was more about selling DVDs and other home products and less about "protecting the masses". But I'm jaded and cynical...

I love Haruhi Suzumiya but I wish it had a more user friendly packaging; My season one set is in an impossible to open yet incredibly cheap cardboard box and season two is in the one of the worse designed multidisc cases.

Come to think of it, every Bandai set I have is awful, from My Hime's "crack and break to release" pegs {One disk, one peg, but not the same one. Good or bad, I don't. It still plays, for now} to Gurren Lagann's "thin and flimsy" pegs to Lucky Star. {Just Lucky Star}

More to the point, maybe:

School Rumble's filler episodes. I'd complain about the lack of an ending but the manga has that problem too.

H Gata B Kei's Lack of an ending {which also includes some additional pairings of the background characters}.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis OVA-spoiler[Ship-teasing Leon x Priss, I wanted them to hook up some time during the series.]

Cream Lemon-I disliked those Tou Moriyama episodes, Super Virgin, and Return to Black Cat Manor, they were the weakest of the series as a whole. The latter worked out fine as a one-shot and didn't need a follow-up episode. I would've liked a follow-up episode to RALL, STAR TRAP, Narisu Scramble, or Dream-Colored Bunny.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes-The Terran Cult, at times I felt they were mere plot device characters, didn't have anything interesting about them, and spoiler[I can't forgive what happened to Yang because of them.]

Macross Plus-Not enough background story for the 3 main characters, it was a bit too vague, and if it had been explored more then I feel there would be more to grasp as far as understanding the characters' better as to what shaped them in the present time of the story.

Marmalade Boy-Suzu Sakuma and Jinny Golding, 'nuff said. Those two were the worst.

Martian Successor Nadesico-spoiler[Killing off Gai Daigoji so soon into the series, even though Gai was an over-the-top character, he was always a positive minded guy.]

Perfect Blue-Not having Junko Iwao singing for Mima as well.

Vampire Princess Miyu OVA-Not enough Kaneto Shiozawa as Larva goodness, his voice is like silk when he voices bishounen characters and it's a shame that he only had a few lines...if only they had used him to reprise the role in the 90's TV series adaptation.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Inuyasha Dear God, if I have to watch that damn betrayal flashback one more freaking time.....!!

I love Inuyasha. It is one of my favorite shows, but I do agree with you about that betrayal scene.
They do change it as the show progresses by showing it from different points of view and adding more information about who did what to whom, but we still see it much more often than I thought was necessary.

Quote:
Elfen Lied ... ... And we didn't need the puppy scene. NO, WE DIDN'T.

I stopped watching Elfen Lied after a few episodes, but I am thinking about possibly finishing it some day. One reason that I stopped was just the general violence, which I can take or leave though usually I leave. But more specifically the last episode that I watched was the one where the dog and the little girl appeared at the end, and I had a bad feeling that something was going to happen that I would really not like.
Somebody in another forum told me that the puppy spoiler[was not hurt, and neither was the girl]. Is that not true?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Somebody in another forum told me that the puppy spoiler[was not hurt, and neither was the girl]. Is that not true?

No. spoiler[The bullies beat the puppy to death, which if I remember correctly breaks Lucy, causing her to kill the bullies.]
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Touma wrote:

No. spoiler[The bullies beat the puppy to death, which if I remember correctly breaks Lucy, causing her to kill the bullies.]

Thank you for that. I sort of suspected that the person in the other forum was putting me on.
But I still might finish Elfen Lied someday. I need to think about it more.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I sort of suspected that the person in the other forum was putting me on.

Oh! That was a different puppy. Anime hyper So that person did not lie to you.
There are two puppy scenes. The first one you THINK something bad will happen... (with the girl too) but nothing does. Takes place in the present of the main story.
The really awful scene (with the bullies) that I was talking about takes place in a flashback during Lucy's childhood.

Quote:
I love Inuyasha. It is one of my favorite shows

Me too!! To have almost 200 eps and that flashback be my ONLY complaint...well, that's pretty decent. Anime hyper I used to hate some of the characters...like Shippou, Kikiyou and Kouga...but I don't hate them anymore. :3
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - For the most this was great to watch, but sometimes I would get a bit to far into fanservice mode to be comfortable. The first series seemed to be worst for this.

The second series Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei seemed mostly carry on the good work, but the later episodes seemed to have Chiri loosing her rag a bit too often.

Once every few episodes is fine for her to loose it, but 4-5 in a row is getting a bit boring, especially as the core characters were all interesting & deserved a share of the limelight.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
His and Her Circumstances: Horribly unfulfilling/open-ended ending that offered little to no closure. I know the show had some key staff changes for the last few episodes, but jeez.

Last Exile: Dio is annoying as hell.

Blood+: Saya's drastic mood swings.

Death Note: N's arc. spoiler[Felt totally tacked on after L's death and N wasn't NEARly (lol) as interesting a character as L].

Spice and Wolf: Felt like I was getting an economics lesson half the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3