×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is tougher than COICA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Now it begins perhaps? Got to say, I didn't see this coming. Had a feeling, but wasn't sure when a bill would be written.

As for the bill, boy it's going to be interesting. Not sure how this whole ordeal with turn out, but I know for a fact both sides will incur some financial loses. But who knows, maybe this the type of bill that will really spur some action?

All I can say is that it will be interesting to see the outcome of this bill. At least the beginning stages at the very least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoverTX



Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This bill has me confused, because hasn't DHS already taken control of sites for the same reason, with out a court order. I think the main site the grabbed was Torrentfinder or something like that. I don't like where all this is going though....

I mean I understand what the basic idea behind it is. If some one is arrested during a drug deal, weapons or vehicles can be seized depending on the state. So if the weapons and the vehicles are helping in the sale of drugs, then these websites are the same thing to internet piracy.

But internet piracy and copy right laws are a lot more vague then drug enforcement laws. There at least needs to be a specialized stream line court, that either issues some kind of order before hand, or after hand like wiretaps in certain cases. Other wise there is too much room for abuse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Congress takes action just as I expected. I keep trying to warn people, if you keep abusing your rights, enough people are going to get together and get the government to start taking them away.

Of course, despite the fact I have an increasingly negative view of pirates, I don't like this bill. Frankly I don't like any bill that grants the authority for the government to do anything without some sort of adversarial system in place where people can put forth their side of things. (In the past I had a different view in regards to criminals, terrorists, etc. Having expanded my knowledge of the government's historical expansion of its own power to the detriment of the American public and having had the chance to explore countless stories of abuse of people's rights, I look back on my past views supporting things like the PATRIOT act as naivety of the worst kind.)

Setting aside the "government can seize without litigation" bit, I think the bill is patently offensive to the First Amendment. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court considers commercial speech to be low value so good luck getting them to side with anyone on that issue. (Yes, our Supreme Court considers some speech low value and some to be of NO VALUE. Ultra violent media? High value. Naughty media? No value.)

This bill will probably pass though.

Really, we don't need a major expansion of power for the government to take over things, we need majorly increased fines on the laws we've got and some relaxation of the rules to sue for discovery. Idiot ISPs are against giving out names so instead of lawsuits, we're going to have government takeovers! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RoverTX



Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
[W]e need [a]...relaxation of the rules to sue for discovery. Idiot ISPs are against giving out names so instead of lawsuits, we're going to have government takeovers! Rolling Eyes


If you relax the rules of discovery to much your going to end up with people going on fishing expeditions. If your going to do that your going to need to cap damages to something sane (something like MSRP of the media and some addition charge per total upload of the file. So lets say you downloaded a 5GB file and then upload 12.5G of that file to different people, that means you would have to pay something related to 3.5 copies of the media, and then of course lawyers fees) other wise your going to have lawyers trolling on behalf of media companies for unreasonable damages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Not like this Bill matters. All of the major anime torrent sites have their servers located outside of America to prevent anything like this from affecting them, anyway
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jarmel



Joined: 15 May 2004
Posts: 280
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. If the government actually exercises the power, it would cripple anime and manga especially in the US.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Not like this Bill matters. All of the major anime torrent sites have their servers located outside of America to prevent anything like this from affecting them, anyway


That's good news.


Last edited by Jarmel on Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. If the government actually exercises the power, it would cripple anime and manga especially in the US.


It won't do a thing to hurt it. US has no say on websites hosted in other countries, since thats outside of their jurisdiction. They can't shut those websites down. Its the reason nearly every torrent site is hosted in countries that have laws that are friendly to pirates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
That's what I am talking about. America F*** Yeah!

Strip their rights, sue em all, and "make" them understand that you're in charge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jarmel



Joined: 15 May 2004
Posts: 280
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. If the government actually exercises the power, it would cripple anime and manga especially in the US.


It won't do a thing to hurt it. US has no say on websites hosted in other countries, since thats outside of their jurisdiction. They can't shut those websites down. Its the reason nearly every torrent site is hosted in countries that have laws that are friendly to pirates.


Yea I just edited my post. I forgot about jurisdiction. Thanks for reminding me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3112
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
dam it dont they got better thing to do beside messing with the internet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
Subscriber
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:


It won't do a thing to hurt it. US has no say on websites hosted in other countries, since thats outside of their jurisdiction. They can't shut those websites down. Its the reason nearly every torrent site is hosted in countries that have laws that are friendly to pirates.


To be fair, a *lot* of people who claim their sites are hosted outside of the US are completely full of it.

I'd like to see something be done to effectively shut down the monetization of piracy online. I realize internet culture doesn't recognize entertainment product as being exactly that - a commercial product created for profit, rather than an art-for-art's-sake-only endeavor that somehow "should" be enjoyed and consumed by all regardless of monetary ability to legally enjoy said product - but the people profiting off of pirated movie streaming/download websites are scumbags and *some* form of effective and efficient enforcement needs to be in place to shut this stuff down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
ninjaclown



Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It does tick me off when people think everyone has a right to see something without paying for it. That said, if you don't like the bill then find out ways you can prevent it from becoming implemented.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:


It won't do a thing to hurt it. US has no say on websites hosted in other countries, since thats outside of their jurisdiction. They can't shut those websites down. Its the reason nearly every torrent site is hosted in countries that have laws that are friendly to pirates.


To be fair, a *lot* of people who claim their sites are hosted outside of the US are completely full of it.

I'd like to see something be done to effectively shut down the monetization of piracy online. I realize internet culture doesn't recognize entertainment product as being exactly that - a commercial product created for profit, rather than an art-for-art's-sake-only endeavor that somehow "should" be enjoyed and consumed by all regardless of monetary ability to legally enjoy said product - but the people profiting off of pirated movie streaming/download websites are scumbags and *some* form of effective and efficient enforcement needs to be in place to shut this stuff down.


The problem is that at the same time, they'll be shutting off people from watching new anime that airs in Japan. Some of it will be picked up by Crunchy, sure, but the majority of it will never be shown in legal ways, nor be licensed here, so pirating it is the only way we can ever see those types of shows. By cutting it off (hypothetically speaking), it would have no advantage to the anime industry in the west at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished reading through the bill's text yet, but PaidContent's summary doesn't point to anything sinister as far as I'm concerned. I contest the notion that a page of search results can be equated to a newspaper editorial; in practical terms the former acts as a directory for--among other things--online commerce.

Given that in this regard, PROTECT IP is concerned specifically with eliminating search results that point to sites pirating copyright-protected and trademarked IP, the bill doesn't in my opinion constitute part of some broader attempt to "censor" the internet. It aims to prevent pirates from being able to illegally disseminate intellectual material without the consent of the rights holder.

Nothing scary to me; still, I'll finish reading...

RyanSaotome wrote:
The problem is that at the same time, they'll be shutting off people from watching new anime that airs in Japan. Some of it will be picked up by Crunchy, sure, but the majority of it will never be shown in legal ways, nor be licensed here, so pirating it is the only way we can ever see those types of shows. By cutting it off (hypothetically speaking), it would have no advantage to the anime industry in the west at all.


How does that excuse the violation of copyright again?


Last edited by Big Hed on Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group