• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! BLURAY 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I can't wait to check out the dub! Smile
Eri94

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Well, if that were the score for the whole series, I'd definitely have to disagree. That said, this is just disc 1, so hopefully the reviews of the incoming volumes are quite a bit better. Still was a day 1 purchase for me though.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
I pre-ordered (and received 2 weeks ago) the first BD single, but I won't buy the remaining singles unless Bandai puts a bit more effort into them. The BD got the DVD's audio, and both formats are missing a few of the extras that were on the Japanese discs.

If the other three BDs are just like the first one, I _might_ buy a future box set/brick, but I'm really not even certain about that...

While it's not a top favorite of mine, I love the show, and I wish that K-On! got a proper HD release over here. ;_;
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
To use the oft-used cliche: it's a show about nothing. Look where that got Seinfeld. Laughing
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
Just watched this show last night, and it charmed me from the get-go! The animation's gorgeous and the dub sounds as natural as Haruhi Suzumiya (I like some of the stuff Tony Oliver has done, but this work is his most suprisingly exceptional). I never once found it boring and am suprised that anyone would--it has a suprising amount of life to it considering it was based off a 4-koma slice-of-life series, and having read the manga first made me all the more stunned by the Anime. In short, great anime, collect this!

Also, I don't know what difference it'll make waiting for the future box set, other than for economical spending reasons. Bandai's history shows it'll normally be the same exact discs with its same exact features, just collected as one set. That's too long for me, and I'm liking the cover artwork on these single discs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For a rock-centric show, however, the soundtrack is surprisingly sparse on rock music: the tuneful opening and ending themes have full electric guitars crackling, but aside from that it's easy-listening synth pop all the way. Perhaps the contradiction is intentional: throw lots of regular everyday music around, to make the bursts of rock 'n' roll playing stand out. It's a good idea once the band starts performing actual songs, but at this point the feather-light music only saps the show of its energy.

Er, they're the Light Music Club (K-ON is a play on "keiongaku", light music), they're not supposed to be playing rock music. The sugary sweet pop music they play in the show is exactly what they're supposed to be playing. Though I guess you could say Mio's ED songs are more rock than Yui's OP songs or any of the insert songs.

Anyway, I'm holding out for the box set. As much as I wish I could pick these up on day one I just don't have it in the budget to by singles these days.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
what k-on is really about, cute girls eating cake and doing silly things, that's it. I will admit though I loved the 1st season because of all the moe moments but well.. Nope I will not say not say it. If I have learned anything on forums, don't start something that will lead to a flame war.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
A good review that lets everybody know what to expect. Girls live life, play some music, the end. For my money, it is rather ironic and unfortunate music gets a "C" in a series like this.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I would agree with pretty much everything in the review aside from one character in the dub and that's Ritsu. She doesn't sound bad at all but she doesn't sound as energetic in most scenes as her Japanese counterpart(in some scenes she is spot on but in others she really lacks energy) Overall though I was really surprised at how good the dub was, I was expecting it to be terrible considering the lack of veterans involved in the main cast.

I was annoyed that the blu-ray didn't have the funny little shorts the Japanese release had and I'm wondering if they will be on the later sets or not at all cause if not at all that's kinda BS.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I would agree with pretty much everything in the review aside from one character in the dub and that's Ritsu. She doesn't sound bad at all but she doesn't sound as energetic in most scenes as her Japanese counterpart(in some scenes she is spot on but in others she really lacks energy) Overall though I was really surprised at how good the dub was, I was expecting it to be terrible considering the lack of veterans involved in the main cast.

I was annoyed that the blu-ray didn't have the funny little shorts the Japanese release had and I'm wondering if they will be on the later sets or not at all cause if not at all that's kinda BS.

those usually hardly ever come on on domestic dvd's/blurays Higurashi, zero no tsukima had them but never included them here either. I will not say it's not out of the realm of possibility since toradora had theirs but I just don't see a high chance of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for this to arrive but this review seems like a pretty fair assessment of what I was expecting the first 4 episodes to be, going to have to wait and see more of it to make any conclusions though. Glad to hear the dub got good marks as from that trailer Bandai put out I was fearing for the worst.
crewcheif01

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we will get an LE art box later on to put the singles in just like back in the good old days. Shocked
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
crewcheif01 wrote:
I wonder if we will get an LE art box later on to put the singles in just like back in the good old days. Shocked

sorry for the redundant meme but yeah this would be nice.
partially

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well the AU release is certainly getting an artbox. Not sure why the Bandai one hasn't though, seems strange when they are forcing people to buy the singles.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I enjoyed the show, I have to say that Bandai's release very much disappointed me. Not only are there the well known issues now of the DVD quality audio and the playback issues on certain players, but the dub just didn't work for me. I'm a big fan of Stephanie Sheh, but she just didn't work as Yui to me. I enjoyed the rest of the cast though, even though many of them sounded a bit older than they should have (though that is a problem common to many dubs).

I still enjoyed the first four episodes, not as quite as much as I had hoped but I will still continue to pick it up. I too would love for them to do an art box, but I'm not holding my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3