• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most disturbing scenes in anime.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
What scenes in anime have most disturbed you? I'm talking about scenes that caused you to cover your mouth, turn away, stop watching for awhile, or even made you feel like you needed a shower afterwards. Whether it was gory, graphic, or just extremely wrong. Here's mine:

Elfen Lied; well, quite abit of this series was disturbing, but there were two specific ones that made me cringe. 1) When you see exactly why Mayu ran away from home. And 2) when Mirako first appears:
spoiler[Mirako: Are you my mommy?
Lady: Yes, I am.
Mirako: No you're not.
*RRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPP* *splatter*]

Evangelion beginning of ep. 24. You see Asuka as a kid excited to be chosen as the 2nd child.spoiler[She runs home like "Mommy! Mommy! Guess what?!" then the door swings open and the shadow of her mother's legs are swaying back and forth accross Asuka's face.]

And finally, Gunslinger Girl end of episode 11 when spoiler[we find out exactly what happened with Elsa and her handler. Example of deadly love.]

So, what about the rest of you?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
This isn't much, but the scene from Berserk where spoiler[Casca saw Griffith bathing after he'd got himself butt-****** by the Tudor guy, where Griffith starts ranting and then he digs his nails into his arms and they're bleeding and Casca's yelling for him to stop, and the water's starting to become red.] I was cringing at that one and I was rubbing my arms after that scene.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
This isn't much, but the scene from Berserk where spoiler[Casca saw Griffith bathing after he'd got himself butt-****** by the Tudor guy, where Griffith starts ranting and then he digs his nails into his arms and they're bleeding and Casca's yelling for him to stop, and the water's starting to become red.] I was cringing at that one and I was rubbing my arms after that scene.

I remember that scene and it is a very disturbing moment, yet its so overshadowed (IMO) by this following moment spoiler[Casca being rape by Griffin. Single-handly led me to give this a lower score then I would like to. I mean I know that the manga is filled with this, and yet in the anime that rape is so violent and so shocking that it made me sick. I think that realistically the series could of been a stand alone from manga if it had removed episode 1 and the last episodes.]
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
I can't think of any particular scene out of an anime movie or series that got me at the gut level... An ex-girlfriend did have issues with anime with scenes of animals being killed. Thus she refused to watch Akira past the point where the police dog got shot. And when we got home after watching Princess Mononoke in a theatre she broke down in tears...
mpchi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
The last episode of Berserk TV pretty much takes the cake. While some moments of Gantz is pretty disturbing on a visual level, but when Berserk did all those in that last episodes to the characters you grew to love and care about, its much harder to swallow.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
In Bible Black: Origins; spoiler[there's a scene where a girl gets violently raped by 4 guys. There might've been more than just 4 men involved but I haven't been able to go back and watch that scene again.]
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, this thread also seems to come up once every 3-4 months.

DemonEyesLeo, in fairness you can't include hentai titles in a discussion like this since many of them are inherently disturbing. Put simply, the most disturbing scenes in non-hentai titles aren't even in the same league as the most disturbing scene in hentai titles.

Aside from hentai titles and the first of the aforementioned Elfen Lied scenes (and I would add the scene where spoiler[the puppy is killed]), the most disturbing scenes in anime for me have come in episode 10 of GITS: SAC (the one about spoiler[the killer that was skinning people alive and videotaping it from the victim's perspective]) and most of Ichi The Killer: Episode Zero, which shouldn't have to be explained to anyone who's seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
In Bible Black: Origins; spoiler[there's a scene where a girl gets violently raped by 4 guys. There might've been more than just 4 men involved but I haven't been able to go back and watch that scene again.]

Hmm, maybe I'm desensitized, but in the context of hentai in general and Bible Black in particular, that doesn't seem very disturbing to me at all. (I've seen the main BB series btw.)

As for Elfen Lied, sure, a lot of people died, but some of the most disturbing scenes were spoiler[the dog-killing, as Key said, and also Mayu's flashbacks...it was pretty chilling that after hearing, "Mayu-chan, this is your new father," I knew exactly where things were headed.]

Koi Kaze: spoiler[Not the end, but some of the scenes in episode 4 where Koshiro sniffs Nanoka's bra and later enjoys himself were rather disturbing. Maybe it's because anime is so sexually repressed in some ways that I'm not used to seeing that stuff--we see tons of anime with 1 guy + many girls, but never a hint of the guy seeking sexual relief...] Of course, KK isn't the kind of anime you watch to feel warm/fuzzy/comfortable, so that kind of thing goes with the territory.

Texhnolyze: Probably the most disturbing anime I've watched overall; particularly where spoiler[someone uses his Texhnolyzed finger to stab a former friend in the eye to kill him] and really, just most of the last 5 episodes where spoiler[they go to the "upper world," and somehow the sunlit town is even more creepy and depressing than Lukus--the massive insanity and death at the end are also worthy of this topic.]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Elfen Lied, sure, a lot of people died, but some of the most disturbing scenes were spoiler[the dog-killing, as Key said.]

Yeah, that was shocking. It actually reminded me of the play Trifles (I'm a theatre nerd as well) where one of the characters talks about how this boy took a hatchet to her cat when she was younger. spoiler[Only unlike in Elfen Lied, that kid in Trifles continued possessing all of his body parts! Twisted Evil ]
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
An ex-girlfriend did have issues with anime with scenes of animals being killed. Thus she refused to watch Akira past the point where the police dog got shot. And when we got home after watching Princess Mononoke in a theatre she broke down in tears...

If only she knew what was happening to animals the world over on any given day. Ignorance is bliss.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DemonEyesLeo, in fairness you can't include hentai titles in a discussion like this since many of them are inherently disturbing. Put simply, the most disturbing scenes in non-hentai titles aren't even in the same league as the most disturbing scene in hentai titles.

Fair enough, but that was the first thing that popped into my mind.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
the most disturbing scenes in anime for me have come in episode 10 of GITS: SAC (the one about spoiler[the killer that was skinning people alive and videotaping it from the victim's perspective])
Wow I forgot about that episode, it's been so lond since I've had watched the first season of GITS. I think your right, that definetly is one of few episodes that in nature is just plain ugly, and disgusting. Oh yea that was the episode that wasn't played in normally. I think both Canada and the US show that episode like at some god-forsaken time, (2 maybe 3 AM) that really wasn't an issue for me since I don't watch GITS on TV. But nonetheless the idea alone, is enough to just to creep you out without really even seeing the episode. Whereas the last episode of Berserk, I feel like you have to see it to believe how ugly and distrot it is.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
herzog

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
The first time I watched Akira I cringed at the scene with the two guards and the doctor trying to put tetsuo back in his room.eeeewwwwwwww.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
I'll go with everyone and say the scenes mentioned above in Elfen Lied were disturbing.

Though I'm going to add episode 4 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The shear insanity of the main characters and their actions were unbelieveable. I was like sweating all over the place where spoiler[Rena and Mion switched to their "psycho" mode. The main guy Keiichi did the same as well.] I'm not going to go into detail on the specific scenes because that would really ruin the glory of the series.

You need to see it for yourself! Surprised
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
Well i'm not going to be specific with this but most scenes in anime where women are brutally killed or just degraded disturb me. I just find watching those scenes to be hard to watch. Thats just me though.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33