• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dirty Pair Sub.DVD Part 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Still on the fence about buying the show after watching the first two episodes on Otaku USA's site (never saw the movie or OVAs). Loved the two light novels that Dark Horse published, so maybe if I can snag the two sets with major discounts.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
The Dirty Pair OAVs are closer to the novels than the TV series. The novels are more hard sci-fi; the TV series is more comedic.

But this is the series that used to play in the 80's cons that got a lot of fans interested in anime. Girls in skimpy outfits creating wanton destruction in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! Ya don't need subtitles to understand that. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Dirty Pair OAVs are closer to the novels than the TV series. The novels are more hard sci-fi; the TV series is more comedic.

Thanks.

Quote:
But this is the series that used to play in the 80's cons that got a lot of fans interested in anime. Girls in skimpy outfits creating wanton destruction in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! Ya don't need subtitles to understand that. Laughing

True! And in my case, yuri subtext never hurts.
Dudley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, a show like Dirty Pair doesn't need any continuity or "character development" (which amounts to "Let's give the characters tragic backstories they must cope with!" in too many shows anyway).

The girls are well-rounded and instantly recognizable, even among the slew of imitators that came after them. They have enough character already. The fun is to see how these exact characters react to all the diverse situations they're put through, from the more conventional to the batshit crazy ones. Just like... let's say Donald Duck cartoons. Noone would demand character development for him! You just wanna see how he copes with being a clock cleaner, going fishing or even joining the army!

And considering that overarching plot lines in 80's sci-fi cartoons usually involved some uber-mighty crime syndicate, I'm glad Dirty Pair doesn't have one. It's just the regular jobs they do. And these are exciting enough.

Maybe it would help to sell DP to today's audiences by selling it as some sort of "slice of life" show. Just that the Lovely Angel's everyday life includes blowing shit up! Wink
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

That last part isn't entirely accurate. As I mentioned in the review, the series made a very deliberate effort to be specifically "hard sci-fi;" only a couple of the episodes are not dependent on sci fi-level technology for the main thrust of the action (episode themes include high-level computer hacking, a high-tech vault, a Terminator-like robot, a black hole, an energy cannon capable of blowing up mountains, and so forth). It does not as specifically aim to be comedic; that's more incidental. In fact, I would say that the mystery component is stronger.

And the other prominent movie homage that I couldn't remember at the time I wrote the review was the James Bond movie Goldfinger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Dirty Pair
But this is the series that used to play in the 80's cons that got a lot of fans interested in anime.

That's true. That's how I discovered them at an Atlanta Fantasy Fair in either '87 or '89 (can't remember which). Someone had done a profanity-laden fandub (mostly likely poorly translated, if at all) and was screening it in one of the video rooms. I bought one of the Streamline dubs a short time later.

As for lack of continuity, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some people like to jump in mid-stream without having to start from the very beginning like most series being produced nowadays. A episodic series like this is new-viewer-friendly.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
As a Dirty Pair fan it doesn't bother me at all that the show looks dated. In fact, I would say that it's part of the appeal. Anime has a fairly long history, and Dirty Pair is a part of that history - some might say a large part. The fact that Kei and Yuri are such strong characters is also a plus. They've got guts, they've got brains, and they're fearless, three traits that you don't often see, all at the same time, in modern anime heroines. Their propensity for unintended destruction is another part of the show's appeal. I haven't picked this set up yet, but I definitely plan to.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
About the shared universe thing; Takachiho wrote at least one crossover novel; it was about Crusher Joe's father meeting the DP when he was still young (and before Joe was born). This of course led to speculation in Japan about who Joe's mother might be, but Takachiho reportedly denies it being eiher of the DP.

He's released a couple of new Dirty Pair novels over the last couple of years, and I hear there'll be a new Crusher Joe book before too much longer (it's been about five or six years since the last one of those).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
The Dirty Pair
But this is the series that used to play in the 80's cons that got a lot of fans interested in anime.

That's true. That's how I discovered them at an Atlanta Fantasy Fair in either '87 or '89 (can't remember which). Someone had done a profanity-laden fandub (mostly likely poorly translated, if at all) and was screening it in one of the video rooms. I bought one of the Streamline dubs a short time later.

And somebody liked Kei and Yuri enough to get inserted into Star Trek: TNG several times. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And somebody liked Kei and Yuri enough to get inserted into Star Trek: TNG several times. Laughing

Wow, I never knew about this. Thanks for pointing it out, and I will definitely have to keep an eye out for those the next time I come across the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Star Trek: TNG references several anime in a number of different ways, though Dirty Pair is probably the most common. There are Star Trek references in Dirty Pair too, often in the background, as well as some James Bond references, most notably the character "Q".
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if "lacks continuity" is a fair criticism. Just because so many anime series do that, why should it be a bad thing for a series to just deliver short stories? I don't think you can claim one format is inherently superior to the other. Even common darling Cowboy Bebop only has continuity for about five or six episodes total.

It's interesting to contrast the original Dirty Pair with Dirty Pair Flash in the context of sexuality. In the original, as the review describes, Kei and Yuri are fond of handsome young men and pursue them in a spirit of fun-seeking. In Flash, Yuri only seeks men as a means of marrying into money and Kei has no sexuality at all. I guess someone learned their lesson about allowing female characters to be fully human.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
If people are put off by the fact that the show is dated and refuse to watch it for that reason alone, they either didn't watch much anime in the 80s (I'm referring to of course those of us who were 80s babies) or they're spoiled rotten on generic new age anime designs (which are mostly just stock and clutter recycled junk anyway).

Regardless, I myself would love to fully watch this series since I never did see any of it. I have watched the first few episodes via other means about 2 years back, but I kind of fell behind and I'm not sure where to go with it now. I feel like I should continue it. What do you guys think?
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
^^ The 2 responses above me hit the nail on the head, "Dated" and "Episodic" aren't cons they are preferences. Yes dated generally means "looks older" but I mean really now only newer, snooty-type anime fans are going to take those as recommendations to stay away, to older fans such as myself, or to someone who likes to see things just goofy and "not canon" *gasp* its a treat and attractive, I can see where you're coming from but It should be known
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
If people are put off by the fact that the show is dated and refuse to watch it for that reason alone, they either didn't watch much anime in the 80s (I'm referring to of course those of us who were 80s babies) or they're spoiled rotten on generic new age anime designs (which are mostly just stock and clutter recycled junk anyway).

Regardless, I myself would love to fully watch this series since I never did see any of it. I have watched the first few episodes via other means about 2 years back, but I kind of fell behind and I'm not sure where to go with it now. I feel like I should continue it. What do you guys think?

Since the TV series was the first installment in the franchise I would say start with it first then do the OVA's. Once I've picked it up that's where I'll likely start and then go through the whole thing, even though I've already seen the OVA's. Since they are separate stories you could also start with the OVA's if you wish but I would recommend that whatever you do save Flash for last. It's a slightly different imagining of the girls and in my opinion is best treated as a separate entity. I still liked it, mind, it's just a little different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2