• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Got my copy of Elfen Lied Blu Ray in the mail yesterday, but...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
...the dub track sounds HORRIBLE. Terribly muffled, jacked up mids, and just overall difficult to listen to compared to the crystal clear Japanese track. The weirdest thing is, the opening and ending songs sound bad on the dub track too - even though they're exactly the same versions that are on the sub track (which sound perfectly fine). I can't imagine why the dub track sounds so awful when the whole point of a blu ray re-release is to up the quality of the original. I understand there's only so much you can do with the picture as far as a basic up-conversion, but audio tracks are so much easier to remix and remaster to make them sound blu-ray worthy.

I'm gonna have to pop in my DVD copy tomorrow when I'm not half asleep and see if there was always such a glaring disparity in sound quality between the two tracks.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon on the new blu ray version (or on any previous releases)?
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I did. The best I can surmise, there's something that's causing a bad 5.1 > stereo downmix. If I set my PS3 to send 5.1 over to my stereo receiver, it sounds better until the bonus episode at which point I lose all voices. This is my only release I have to do this with.

There's something messed up with this release and I can't say for certain if it's always been this way as I don't own the DVD.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
I can't say how this compares to earlier releases of Elfen Lied but Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 has had a pretty shaky track record with Blu-Rays lately (Kids on the Slope and Penguindrum among others). It's getting out of hand...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks for bringing this up as I was looking to buy the BD. I sold my previous DVD set in anticipation of picking up the BD, but I don't recall the DVD audio being muffled. Maybe I'm just not remembering right, but on the other hand Sentai/Section 23/ADV seem to be having some issues with audio on some of their releases. KoS and I think someone mentioned in a thread that Tokyo Magnitude 8 had sound coming from only one speaker.

Crap it looks like I'll be putting off the BD purchase until more info comes out. In all likelihood I'll have to put off buying it till next year. Mad
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
I can't say how this compares to earlier releases of Elfen Lied but Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 has had a pretty shaky track record with Blu-Rays lately (Kids on the Slope and Penguindrum among others). It's getting out of hand...

Says you-I have a lot of Sentai releases (mostly bluray) and I like most people don't care or notice these so called "defects" unless they're pointed out to me and even then unless one has a 2000" tv it's not thjat noticeable.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Watching the DVD version now (this one). Very minor difference in audio quality between the sub and dub tracks on here, but not NEARLY as different as the two tracks on the blu ray. I can say without question that the audio quality of the dub track on this DVD is far superior to that of the blu ray. Picture quality really isn't all the different either. Very disappointed with this release; I have never encountered this problem before with DVD or blu ray originals or re-releases. Even more disappointing since the sound production and audio effects are particularly noteworthy and an integral part of what makes this series great.

If anyone picks up the new DVD version that was released along with the blu ray, please let me know if this issue exists on there too. I may end up selling the blu ray and grabbing the new DVD (really just so I can have the OVA which I've never seen before and don't want to if the quality is going to be sub par).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Not many reviews out yet, so I'll wait till more come out before purchasing. One guy on amazon said:
Quote:
Audio:
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio in either English or Japanese. Both tracks sound really good, neither suffering from any issues that I can hear.

For anyone who's interested:Screen shots comparing R1DVD and JP-BD. Seems to my eyes that it looks sharper, and the color of blood looks deeper, but nothing mind blowing. Mainly I want the OVA and better sound would be nice too. Again, I'll wait for more reviews to come out it could be its just an issue with certain batch of discs and not all?
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Not many reviews out yet, so I'll wait till more come out before purchasing. One guy on amazon said:
Quote:
Audio:
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio in either English or Japanese. Both tracks sound really good, neither suffering from any issues that I can hear.

Hmmm, either that guy is totally deaf, or there really could be an issue with just certain batches. I've also tried a bunch of different audio settings on my PS3, different blu ray players on different tvs, and still no change.

I'm thinking of emailing Seraphim Digital and asking if this is normal and/or if they encountered any problems mixing the audio for the dub track. I'd sort of understand if it was just the vocal tracks that were a little lower quality, but it's the entire dub track (vocals, sound effects, and music). And again, the Japanese track has all the same music and sound effects, just different vocals; and everything on it sounds great.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys as people start picking up this latest release.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not just the English track. I watched it in Japanese and there was definitely some issues. When some lines were spoken, it would suddenly sound like they were speaking in an auditorium. And then the next line would go back to normal.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
I remember I used to have problems with ADVs 5.1 upmixes when downmixing back to 2.0 - the sound would go oddly echo-ey at times, especially when someone was talking from "behind" the camera or you were hearing what someone was thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Hmmm, either that guy is totally deaf, or there really could be an issue with just certain batches. I've also tried a bunch of different audio settings on my PS3, different blu ray players on different tvs, and still no change.

Hey Sohma, were all the various set-ups you tried 2.0/2.1? I'm curious if it sounds fine on a 5.1 set-up but a bad when downmixed only? I'm not too knowledgeable on sound for blu-ray and DVDs, can someone screw up a Dolby stereo/matrix in the audio file which would cause this?
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:

Hey Sohma, were all the various set-ups you tried 2.0/2.1? I'm curious if it sounds fine on a 5.1 set-up but a bad when downmixed only? I'm not too knowledgeable on sound for blu-ray and DVDs, can someone screw up a Dolby stereo/matrix in the audio file which would cause this?

I have a 5.1 setup in my room and tried it through that, and through the tv speakers by themselves on multiple settings. Nothing made it any better. From listening to it more and more, it doesn't seem like a setting issue - it's definitely the track itself that's messed up.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
I checked earlier with the ending theme on disc one, and switched back and forth between the English and Japanese track on my PS3 and the Japanese track does sound much better while the English one sounds more muffled. I also checked disc two and it was the was the exact same case. I also tried checking with actual scenes and while it's harder to tell (Well for me at least), the Japanese track sounded a bit more clear.

Now something that's strange is the OVA is almost completely not affected (Including the OP and ED themes). There is a very minor difference though, the Japanese track still sounds more clear, but the difference isn't as big as it is between on the TV series. It's rather a minor difference.

I'm no expert with audio quality, but going through the info my PS3 displays when I press Select, at the top next to "5.1 Ch. 48 kHz" the English track in the TV series typically is around 2.5-3 Mbps (While sometimes for a split second going above 4.0) while the Japanese track is typically around 4-5 Mbps. Someone correct me if I'm a little off on that, but the Japanese Mbps is typically higher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I'm no expert with audio quality, but going through the info my PS3 displays when I press Select, at the top next to "5.1 Ch. 48 kHz" the English track in the TV series typically is around 2.5-3 Mbps (While sometimes for a split second going above 4.0) while the Japanese track is typically around 4-5 Mbps. Someone correct me if I'm a little off on that, but the Japanese Mbps is typically higher.

That shouldn't be causing this problem. It really just sounds like it was encoded wrong...somehow.
batou37

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
So I'd like to ask anyone who has this new BD release, if I don't even plan on watching the dub version of it is it worth going ahead and getting or should I wait to see if something is done about the issue on future shipments? I've been wanting to pick this up but if it is also problematic on the Japanese track, I don't want to go ahead buy it just to have a future release come out with the audio fixed. if it is only a rare occurrence that happens a couple times throughout the series (on the Japanese track that is) I think I could put up with it, but if it happens multiple times an episode I'd rather put off the purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2