• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Pillows Meet & Greet Tomorrow in San Fran

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
I have my tickets for Whisky, should be fun.
Kamon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
Makes me wish I still lived in the bay area. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Sawao is a good guy. Very personable.
Vinitachi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
They were in NY... that what I get for not coming on to ANN for a while...
I was listening to The Pillows too when I was reading the news post too. Sad
anim8td_fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
See you at the Whiskey Bahmut God.
Ein, the wonder pup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much money it would cost to
get on a plane tonight?

*wishes I were a millionare and money is not a problem*
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
I got back from the concert about an hour ago. Great show, there were like 6 opening bands that were not so much fun, but The Pillows freaken rocked. Everyone was really pumped, and they did a ton of songs. My freind counted like 16, which I don't think included the Encore. They were good about playing a bunch of FLCL songs, and really put on a great show. The only song they didn't play that I wanted to hear was Naked Shuffle, but that's is a lesser known song and wasn't in FLCL anyway. I think the highlight was either Crazy Sunshine, or "I think I can". They also played Little Dinosur and... Oh crap I forgot the name of the song...err, the song played during the first Manga Scene in FLCL. A few other songs kind of metled together in my mind, but it was all great. It was also really really loud. My ears are still ringing. I'm a wimp when it comes to sound though, I don't go to many concerts becuase of it, and I was wearing ear plugs though most of the first acts. One other problem, it was really really hot. It wasn't so bad on main floor (where I was), but the stage, and the back was like 20 degrese hotter. That The Pillows stayed up as long as they did (It was 80-90f) just shows that they are really dedicated to their fans.

One hicup, some jackass, who I hope broke his arm, rushed the stage, twice. The first time he rushed up and touched all the band members, and stage dived back into the audience. Really freaking rude but no serious harm done, they should have thrown him out right then though. The second time he did it during a song, and made them stop playing, cause the F**ker was grabing their gutairs. They had to stop playing, and much to the aducances delight the main singer (sorry, I don't remember his name now Anime hyper) chased him off the stage. To exit, he tried to stage dive again, (right next to where I was actually, he was about 5 feet away) but the aducance parted and he landed on his arm HARD. This time secuity manged to get him. It really seemed to shake up the singer though. They stoped for a few minuites and the main guy was kind of crouhing on the ground. When they started agian they moved to the next song. Really sad for me because he interrupted one of my favorite songs, Instant Music. (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) Anyway they finished the song when they came back out for their encore, and also played a new unreleased song. All in all a very good night, though I would have been much happyier if I had shown up two hours later to just see them. (skipping the other opening acts.)

Another note their cd's sold out super quick. I didn't end up getting one, but I got some "The Pillows" stickers and a 10$ plastic keychain. It was over priced, but hell they earned it.
ilikecutegrls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Just woke up from the concert last nite @ Whisky A Go-Go, so much fun, great band, good drinks, for a concert that was 60% occupied with otaku's it wasn't too bad in my opinion, i was expecting worse. More of when i go into line, and noticed the crowd my thoughts were more of "oh fudge" *trying to keep wording as friendly as possible* I got most of my hearing back from this concert *which is a lot quicker than most concerts* usually coming from Vans Warped Tour, Offspring, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica's S&M in San Fran *one of the best concerts ever!* those leave you deaf completely!

Review of the concert @ Whisky A Go-Go

1st band: good musicians, not so great as artists, vocals and lyrics needed to be worked on

2nd band: a lot better than the first, if you have ever listened to Los Lonely Boys, Metallica, and Iron Butterfly, then this is basically their style all rolled into one. For a fresh band, the lead guitarist has some sick skillz, vocalist and lyrics weren't too bad either, definetly some good potential there

3rd band: Without a doubt Fermata was the 2nd best band playing there, definetly showin their experience coming from the Vans Warp Tour, this metal band took the crowd away from the last 2 bands. Incredibly sick reffs from the lead guitarist, the bassist with incredible energy to get the crowd going, drummer played out a beat that could send you into a frenzy, and 2nd guitarist was good too. Vocalist definetly was interesting, besides looking like a 6ft caucasian rustafarian. Just judging by the amps that they brought with them either they've were born into money, or definetly came a long way from when they started

4th band: with a hard act to follow, this band was more along the lines of "Screamo" [Screaming Emo] I had an inkling that they had some kind of religions affiliation. In the end there are apparently Christian Screamo. Drummer seemed to have so much fun doing his job, bassist was all over the place with the convienece of the wireless trans for his guitar, that way he can just jerk around the stage, unfortunately i don't kno where to place the lead guitarist because the lead singer did play a guitar, but not as much, so other guy playing the guitar is now lead guitarist in my mind: anyway his level in skills is something that is just starting, not too much energy. and as far as the vocalist...... i don't like "Screamo" style, much less than Emo.

5th band: hahaha, looking much like a high school band, much to my surprsie, these kids definetly know what they are doing. Just the sheer originality in the reffs coming from the bass and lead guitarist, also the drummer had a lot of energy in him. Unfortunately like the first band, the lyrics and vocals definetly needed to be worked on.

I forget if there was another band after this group, but for the main attraction: The Pillows, the performance got the crowd filled up with energy. The crowd seemed to just flow into any song that they played was originated from FLCL. The songs off the lastest album were really good too. The funniest thing in my opinion, is how the crowd reacted, when the band decided to play a completely brand new song, one that hasn't been released. The song still had a rhythym like most of their songs... but instead the crowd didn't go as wild as before. Now i don't know if it was because this song wasn't anime based or anything, but to me that seems a lil sad.

for the majority of people who went there to listen to anime songs being played.. good for you. haha, there was even a guy next to me who seemed depressed for a while until the pillows were on stage. he just kept his head on the railing the entire time, as if he ran out of energy to support his own head. I wonder how many of people there haven't realized that when you go to a concert that there isn't just 1 band performing, usually there are mulitiple artists there. Otherwise you would be there for about an hour and then go home. seriously, if you go to a concert expect to go partially if not all deaf for a while, DON'T B#(*&% about how loud it was.

And the incident with someone rushing the stage, it was actually 2 people, not 1. The first kid got back into the crowd and because he was wearing a dark brown hoodie, the security couldn't really pick him out, while the 2nd jerk wore a grey hoodie, that someone could've easliy picked him out. downside of that, was that it pissed off the vocalist, and then he had to spend time to tune his guitar over again, because the threw his guitar down to rush the kid off stage.

I guess my opinions are coming from the fact that i've been to a few concerts before, and hang around a bunch of musicians, hopeful bands, and listen to about almost everything. only reason i got into The Pillows was because my cousin brought over some of their music and had me listen to them, before that I never heard of FLCL, heard of GAINAX because of Evangelion, but not FLCL. So I checked out their non-anime related songs, and that was the to the point where i got into them. Very unique styles compared to most bands out there in the world

Thought just came to mind: hahaha, when songs from FLCL were being performed, some of the otakus on the balcony looked like they were performing an odd ceremonial dance, [still laughing] and as soon as the next song started, they looked like they had the flippin energy sucked out of them *they definetly need to get out more and be active*
Kozumou!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
They were good about playing a bunch of FLCL songs, and really put on a great show. The only song they didn't play that I wanted to hear was Naked Shuffle, but that's is a lesser known song and wasn't in FLCL anyway.

Ooh, good that you know at least one non-FLCL song, but, though it makes a lot of sense for them to play songs that were used in FLCL, they should have played more other ones, too, like more that weren't ever released in America.
Bahamut God wrote:
They also played Little Dinosur

LAST DINOSAUR
Bahamut God wrote:
main singer (sorry, I don't remember his name now Anime hyper)

Yamanaka Sawao
Bahamut God wrote:
Really sad for me because he interrupted one of my favorite songs, Instant Music. (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) Anyway they finished the song when they came back out for their encore, and also played a new unreleased song.

Actually, that was Ride on shooting star. The new song is PROPOSE.

No, I wasn't there. Sadly. I live on opposite side of the country.

omnistry wrote:
Sawao is a good guy. Very personable.

You know he is. Cool
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, Kozumou , all of the corrections you made were correct. I was talking to my freind and he remined me it was indeed Ride on shooting star that was interrupted, not sure how I mixed that up... How did you know? You hear from another website?

ilikecutegrls, I'm pretty much one of the Otakus (The Weaboo variety everyone seems to hate so much) you were taking about. Only other concert's I've been to were school mandated, and a few Leo Kotte preforances. (And as previously stated, am super sensitve to loud noise) I was indeed really fed up with the other bands, and pretty much did have the life sucked out of me while I stood up from 7:30 to 10:40 ish. However, The Pillows did perk me back up.

From where I was I thought the reactions were all pretty good. As far as people recacting better to FLCL songs, at least for me in a lot of cases it was so loud that if I didn't already know the song, it pretty much sounded like noise to me.

Your version of the stage drivers sounds better, my freind told me he thought it was the same guy so I went with that. I didn't really get a chance to see the guitar thrown down.

For example, I was only slighlty impressed with Fermata, and since the cd was only 7$, I bought it. Once I took it home I found I really do like what I'm hearing, now that I can freaking hear it. Also, as of writing this, my ears are still ringing, though not as loud at the moment. I hope this isn't like radioactive halflives, where the ringing won't really ever go away, just qet quite enough where I can't hear it any more. It was by far the most noise I've put my ears though in my life.

Anyway, to wrap up, those of you who like The Pillows, but don't find go to concerts alot, it's still worth it.

Quote:
if you go to a concert expect to go partially if not all deaf for a while, DON'T B#(*&% about how loud it was.

It was loud, and I am now B#(*&%ing about it. Or at least I would be B#(*&%ing about it if I could hear myself think over this ringing sound.
Kozumou!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
Hey, Kozumou , all of the corrections you made were correct. I was talking to my freind and he remined me it was indeed Ride on shooting star that was interrupted, not sure how I mixed that up... How did you know? You hear from another website?

Yes, I did. Razz instant music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1