• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) tale of outcasts (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote

(The) tale of outcasts (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 8 Volumes, by Makoto Hoshino)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Ashi Productions

Genres: fantasy

Themes: demi-humans, historical, period piece

Plot Summary: Wisteria is an orphan girl living in a corner of the British Empire at the end of the 19th century. Her life is desolate and bleak–until she encounters Marbas, a powerful but equally lonely immortal being with a furry appearance, hounded by hunters. Together, Wisteria and Marbas roam the Empire–populated by humans and human-like beasts–in search of a place where they can live together in peace.

Air Date & Platform:
January 8, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Really liked the first episode. Getting a bit of a "Ancient Magus' Bride" vibe but without the same dedication to sumptuous visuals or world-building. Drag that Wisteria had to give up her sight to create a contract with Marbas but there's no such thing as a free lunch as they say, especially, I imagine, with demons.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:06 am Reply with quote
Ep 4

I'm enjoying this a lot in general, but the background bit of Wisteria snot-globbing Marbas' hand and then him wiping it on Naberius' pants cracked me up with the facial expressions. It was also a nice way to temper Diana's infodump. Likewise Naberius silently snerking while Diana chewed out Marbas. Dog and "babysitter kitty" are making this series for me right now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Dang. I was hoping Diana would be spared. I think those cute little loli-Goth hats should confer some kind of plot armour, but I guess not. Oh well, it should be fun watching Naberius lose his poop next time. I hope Armour Guy gets flattened.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm so easy I add a whole extra star if they make me cry. Smile

I did like her bluff about having a ton of demons at her beck and call though. Actually, you'd think she could have gotten more because of her situation -- if she's likely to die in the next few days, at least the contract would be short, and the demon could get some entertainment out of it until then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Finale)

A show that started pretty strongly for me but then gradually lost steam. I didn't really care for the final arc because the two main antagonists, Dantalion and the Afghan War vet dude, were motivated by a simple, "War is awesome" mindset that I didn't find interesting. Still there was enough momentum from the earlier portions that I ended up rating this a strong Decent, nudging towards Good territory but didn't quite make it. A complete story was told but it's also clear Marbus and Wisteria's adventures could continue if need be and I hope they do.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:57 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with all that I guess. But rather than Bride vibes, this practically turned into a Grail War in the second half. Did we ever find out why Astaroth contracted with the Cross Knight lady and kept hanging around after she died? Or what the deal was with helmet knight?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1