• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Entire Manga Catalog Now on Amazon Kindle Platform

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
And of course, the comics are available on all Kindle platforms EXCEPT Kindle App for iOS.

What the flipping flop is going on with digital manga distribution!? Why is this such a problem?!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
And of course, the comics are available on all Kindle platforms EXCEPT Kindle App for iOS.

Well, naturally. Requiring a proprietary device to access a a sectioned-off archive of data should be pretty routine for Apple/iOS users.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Well, naturally. Requiring a proprietary device to access a a sectioned-off archive of data should be pretty routine for Apple/iOS users.

But why is this such a hang up for MANGA exclusively? Kindle apps puts no such restrictions of US Comics or prose. Its seems to affect JUST MANGA.

A few weeks ago I thought Vertical had solved the riddle, with their catalog being available for Kindle iOS app. But less then a week latter they were locked out. I looked at some preview material from them and it all look GREAT, and functioned right. So its its not a resolution/functionality problem, WTF is it?!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
As much as I don't like to read digital media its good to know if I can't pick up a volume half way through a series I can make do with the kindle version until I can find a hard copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

But why is this such a hang up for MANGA exclusively? Kindle apps puts no such restrictions of US Comics or prose. Its seems to affect JUST MANGA.

A few weeks ago I thought Vertical had solved the riddle, with their catalog being available for Kindle iOS app. But less then a week latter they were locked out. I looked at some preview material from them and it all look GREAT, and functioned right. So its its not a resolution/functionality problem, WTF is it?!

I think it's because of Apple content restrictions since their library also contains M-rated titles. From what I understand anything available through an app needs to be approved, which is how the app itself gets rated. That's why web browsers and comic apps like comixology are age-restricted on iOS. Viz has not decided to go that route yet, which is why their M titles are not available through their iOS app either, just their through web reader and now as Kindle books.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
But ComiXology ISN'T age restricted. I mean, it is, through the app. But you can totally buy Mature rated content through their website and the material will be avalible to read on your iOS device. And since you should buy all your comiXology purchases through the web site anyway (so apple doesn't get a cut) its a complete non-issue on ComiXology.

Amazon doesn't sell ANYTHING through their app, you have to buy your books via their browser based web store. Its the same situation.

This problem is on Amazon's end. And it. is. maddening.

EDIT: Also on Viz's end, since you can buy their Mature content via their web site, but they won't transfer it to their app. Which is dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Why is this so haaaaaaaaaaard?!
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
But ComiXology ISN'T age restricted. I mean, it is, through the app. But you can totally buy Mature rated content through their website and the material will be avalible to read on your iOS device. And since you should buy all your comiXology purchases through the web site anyway (so apple doesn't get a cut) its a complete non-issue on ComiXology.

Amazon doesn't sell ANYTHING through their app, you have to buy your books via their browser based web store. Its the same situation.

Like I said, Apple's policy is to age-restrict the app based on the content you can obtain through the app. It's not about selling items AT ALL. Web browsers apps like Opera, Mercury, Sync for Firefox don't sell anything, nor do they provide media content on their own, and they are also age-restricted like comixology and others.

Quote:
This problem is on Amazon's end. And it. is. maddening.

EDIT: Also on Viz's end, since you can buy their Mature content via their web site, but they won't transfer it to their app. Which is dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Why is this so haaaaaaaaaaard?!

Because IF they did make it available through their app, THEN their iOS app would also have to be age-restricted! And I don't think Viz wants to limit their audience this way.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I can read Stephen King books through my Kindle App. I can read Game of Thrones. I can read Saga and Walking Dead comics. All are more brutal then most 'Mature' rated Manga.

The double standard is APPALLING.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I can read Stephen King books through my Kindle App. I can read Game of Thrones. I can read Saga and Walking Dead comics. All are more brutal then most 'Mature' rated Manga.

The double standard is APPALLING.

1) the Stephen King books and Game of Thrones are TEXT, which has never counted towards any age-restriction
2) comic violence has also not counted towards any age-restriction.
Note that Viz's Claymore is NOT an M-rated title and so, should also be available on through their iOS app

(It's also up to Viz how they want to rate titles, as every publisher rates things differently. I actually don't agree with Viz's more conservative standards, but that is besides the point)
traveling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
My theory is that it has something to do with that fact that pretty much the same manga catalog is available in the iBookstore.
Viz Media
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, we just wanted to drop in and comment on this iOS stuff because we were also surprised to see that our titles weren't listed as being compatible with the Kindle app for iOS! They definitely are supposed to be, and I've done a test purchase to confirm this:

http://i.imgur.com/1oSjXWP.jpg

...so rest assured that you *can* read any Viz titles that you purchase from the Kindle store in the Kindle iOS apps. We're currently working with Amazon to figure out why this is not being displayed on the product pages, so hopefully it will all be sorted out soon.

Also, if you come across any cases where our titles are *not* readable in the Kindle iOS apps, please let us know at [email protected] so that we can investigate further.

Thanks!

- Eric @ Viz
norbjunior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So then what does this mean for the Viz Media app? Is that now a dead platform and we'll exclusively get manga through the Kindle store?
Shunka Shuutou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, this is...pretty great! Gives me more incentive to buy an actual Kindle, heh (it's odd that I'm willing to go all digital on books and related things but for series, movies and videogames I go physical...oh, just a thought I had, nothing to see here!).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Viz Media wrote:
Hey all, we just wanted to drop in and comment on this iOS stuff because we were also surprised to see that our titles weren't listed as being compatible with the Kindle app for iOS! They definitely are supposed to be, and I've done a test purchase to confirm this:

http://i.imgur.com/1oSjXWP.jpg

...so rest assured that you *can* read any Viz titles that you purchase from the Kindle store in the Kindle iOS apps. We're currently working with Amazon to figure out why this is not being displayed on the product pages, so hopefully it will all be sorted out soon.

Also, if you come across any cases where our titles are *not* readable in the Kindle iOS apps, please let us know at [email protected] so that we can investigate further.

Thanks!

- Eric @ Viz

Okay. Keen beans. I may take a stab on something. thanks for taking the time to explain the situation.
JonLa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Vertical and kodansha are having similar issues with some titles - in the uk I can't get Attack on Titan for my ipad...

Edit: Vertical comment on the issues with Drops of God: http://tmblr.co/ZDHwcvwbxmeF

Any sign of making them available in the UK, Viz?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2