• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - You Da Bomb

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
GlG is Shelf worthy imo
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
because never in a zillion years could a show with a clunky name like "Binbogami ga!" fly off North American shelves.

What shelves? There's really too few places to physically purchase anime anymore, I thought most people ordered and had things delivered now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I have actually watched the three shows reviewed in this article. I agree with the ratings for Good Luck Girl and Btooom because both are enjoyable and entertaining, but to me they do not have eniugh rewatch value to warrant a purchase. On the other hand, I strongly disagree with the rating for Another; it is a cliched show that is as stupid as any Final Destination movie.

I am impressed by the shelves from Joel. I would not have a problem calling this person "Collector Extraordinaire" because that is a lot of anime.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
because never in a zillion years could a show with a clunky name like "Binbogami ga!" fly off North American shelves.

What shelves? There's really too few places to physically purchase anime anymore, I thought most people ordered and had things delivered now.

I'm sure Amazon and Right Stuf still utilize shelving of some sort.

I totally agree with the review of Another. In fact, I'm really looking forward to rewatching it and seeing what I missed the first time. It's probably been one of the most enjoyable shows I've watched in the past year.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bless whomever decided to rename this series as Good Luck Girl! because never in a zillion years could a show with a clunky name like "Binbogami ga!" fly off North American shelves.

I don't at all mind the series title getting switched from Japanese to English, but I'd have preferred that Funi just translate the title, rather than completely changing it. The two names are about as opposite as could be...

I'd have put Binbougami ga! in shelf worthy, and Another in the rental category. Binbou was a fun and mostly fluffy story with some good character moments. Another was an irritant from very early on, as was stated in the review, when the characters wouldn't talk to one another, and a big reveal that might have helped solve the puzzle (for us, the viewers) at the very end was something known to almost all of the characters right from the very start. Too many of the deaths felt shoehorned in to the story. Another is just not worth a second watch.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
-Looks at his shelves-
....I dont think I even watched that many anime shows in my life
GiriOni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ah man, Another. I loved that series for the atmosphere. That show had one hell of a way of offsetting the viewer. This show by large gateway-ed me into other shows like Higurashi so I look on it fondly. Being the horror geek that I am.

I watched it as it came out, and the mystery really drew into each episode, making me really want to watch the next one as quickly as possible. spoiler[Recently re-watched the series, man that opening scene showed all the deaths that would occur. Really fun finding that out,]
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame binbogami-ga wasn't succesful enough to warrant a second season. It was funny but the characters had "heart" and the show was just getting more interesting and serious when it suddenly had to end.

But honestly I think it was doomed to fail since since the first episode I thought it had this "retro vibe" that doesn't seem to caught today's viewers.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I managed to sit through about half of Btooom but it was so disgusting I just couldn't finish it. It is easily high on my list of awful shows. I did enjoy Another, I frequently seem to enjoy P.A. works shows. It was well done enough for me to seek out the original light novels and I plan on buying the manga at some point as well.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Binbougami would be shelf-worthy for me. Hilarious on the surface, but with a surprising, though admittedly generic, amount of depth. The best thing about this show is the incorporation of reference humor, being both funny and relevant.

Shelf Life wrote:
The subject of Himiko is an interesting one. She's a smart girl and an obviously strong one, but it can't be denied that she's partly written into the series because a Sexy Girl was needed. She's scared of men because of past (and present) rape attempts, and while it's certainly heartening to see her defend herself from these situations, I can't help but think that these scenes are drawn a little too suggestively, and with no pretension of hiding why they're there. There's little reason to depict the scenes with the salacious, first-person POVs they're treated with, other than to scintillate. One could argue, “but she fights back!” but it's not transparent whatsoever why the scenes drag on as long as they do, or why they're drawn in the manner that they are.

The rape scenes were meant to scintillate (or should it be titillate?) the viewer?! I personally never got that vibe. I thought it was portrayed as a horrible, disgusting act to evoke rage and compassion/apprehension for Himiko from the audience, not arousal.
But I could be wrong, since I hardly remember certain things about this mediocre show.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree with the rental shelf rating for Good Luck Girl, but for me the comedy was by far its strongest element. There was one scene I remember laughing particularly hard at: a group of schoolgirls jogging along, followed closely by the pervert priest, followed by a few moments of nothing, followed by a police car. The comic timing was impeccable.

The drama, though, was just so forced and terrible. Subtle as a kick in the crotch and at least twice as painful. If that's "heart", gimme something heartless.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I must've been in one heck of a weird mood when I watched Another; I was fervently hoping it was going to suddenly blossom into a wonderful horror-comedy despite all evidence to the contrary. What I got wasn't bad, although Another is a much better mystery show than it is horror. The answers are all laid out right in front of viewers in the beginning and you completely miss them even though you're on the lookout for them. Still, based on the few comedic bits that are in Another and a clip from episode 0 I've seen, the studio was absolutely capable and ready to turn Another into the best comedy of 2012.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The "dancing" scene in Another is one of the best scenes in the history of anime. It's a pity that it was so short spoiler[and was just a daydream].
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I found Binbougami-ga! to be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, plus it had a good heart as well.

BTOOOM!! suffered because the manga is still ongoing so it doesn't resolve itself, but apart from that it was a solid show with some great action and social commentary.

Another was absolute garbage. And unlike the Sixth Sense - where there had been a natural build-up to the twist and all the clues were out in the open, easily spottable if you'd been paying attention - in Another the twist just came out nowhere. Even worse the twist was told to us in a flashback, which means that there was no way the audience could reasonably figure out the mystery because vital information was being kept from us.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Another was great schlock horror. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3