Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Gets New Arc-V TV Anime Next Spring


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
Why is he wearing his jacket like a cape? The only one allowed to do that is Atem.

I know people will judge this before watching like Zexal, especially with the character designs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yukai5



Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Maybe they want a change to bring the cape idea back, or have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was. And I really hoping that they don't add on a new type of card to the game.....having 6 kinds of monster cards is more than enough.

And why they haven't though of putting a female lead? I don't mind males being leads, however, I want to have females to say "hey look, there is something that we relate to, and a game we can play!" though girls does play the game in reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11529
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
This isn't a continuation or related to Zexal right? I dropped the first episode awhile ago and only finished Yugioh 5d's after GX and the original series.

Oh well, I might give it a shot considering I grew up with this and also my enjoyment for Cardfight Vanguard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4KidsFan



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
And why they haven't though of putting a female lead? I don't mind males being leads, however, I want to have females to say "hey look, there is something that we relate to, and a game we can play!" though girls does play the game in reality.


I've been wanting there to finally be a female lead too if they were going to do another show. We had four shows with male leads so far so it's about time they threw in a female for a new show. I guess they didn't want to go that route but it sure as heck would have been fresh and help bring in a female audience to the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davy0



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 85
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe the heart of the cards hates women? Notice how there are many more male characters than female characters in all the Yu-gi-oh franchises and how all the male characters seen to be pretty-boys. Yep. Heart of the Cards is gay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guile



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 502
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
And why they haven't though of putting a female lead? I don't mind males being leads, however, I want to have females to say "hey look, there is something that we relate to, and a game we can play!" though girls does play the game in reality.


4KidsFan wrote:
I guess they didn't want to go that route but it sure as heck would have been fresh and help bring in a female audience to the game.


This mindset of 'it needs a female main character to appeal to females' does not have as much weight in Japan as it does in American cartoons given the inclusion that media in Japan can capitalize on the sexuality of the characters where as American cartoons can not. Yu-Gi-Oh is extremely popular with females in Japan in the same way shows like Hitman Reborn and Kuroko no Basket are despite all of them being shonen series aimed at boys featuring primarily a male cast. The characters are extremely popular with fujoshi to the point of hundreds of doujinshi being produced about them and that is the main draw of the series for girls. To put it bluntly, putting a female lead in Yu-Gi-Oh would actually decrease the female fanbase than if they left it as is, as would be the case for a lot of shonen properties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yukai5



Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
4KidsFan wrote:
I've been wanting there to finally be a female lead too if they were going to do another show. We had four shows with male leads so far so it's about time they threw in a female for a new show. I guess they didn't want to go that route but it sure as heck would have been fresh and help bring in a female audience to the game.


That's what I'm thinking too.

Davy0 wrote:
Maybe the heart of the cards hates women? Notice how there are many more male characters than female characters in all the Yu-gi-oh franchises and how all the male characters seen to be pretty-boys. Yep. Heart of the Cards is gay.


Correction. 4 out of 6 are Pretty Boys (or classed as sexy), 1 out of 6 is cute (come on, if you were a girl, you know what I mean) and the remainder comes from a totally different universe with NO clothes on (yes i know the back story with that but still). But that's my opinion on that matter.

Guile wrote:
This mindset of 'it needs a female main character to appeal to females' does not have as much weight in Japan as it does in American cartoons given the inclusion that media in Japan can capitalize on the sexuality of the characters where as American cartoons can not. Yu-Gi-Oh is extremely popular with females in Japan in the same way shows like Hitman Reborn and Kuroko no Basket are despite all of them being shonen series aimed at boys featuring primarily a male cast. The characters are extremely popular with fujoshi to the point of hundreds of doujinshi being produced about them and that is the main draw of the series for girls. To put it bluntly, putting a female lead in Yu-Gi-Oh would actually decrease the female fanbase than if they left it as is, as would be the case for a lot of shonen properties.


I get what you mean, and totally agree 100% (I mean, the first kick a$$ female duelist was Mai). I'm just saying on an English (actually Kiwi but English is my first language here) girl point of view that there should be a female lead for girls to look up to, despite the HUGE chance of fanservice, sexual pics (yes they are still around) etc with the older audience. On the flip side of this, they will focus more about the clothes they are wearing, or how sexy the character is etc, so there is more than a risk of decreasing numbers if they go ahead on this, plus showing that its ok to wear skimpy clothing (which the censorship in America does a good job changing the clothing, much to the disgust of the older audience). I know this is going a bit back of what I said earlier but this is how I feel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
Maybe they want a change to bring the cape idea back, or have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was.


Well, if thats the case, he better be the best duelist ever right out the gate(wouldn't want to be like Yuma and lose 20 duels in a row lol). Who said Yugi was part of Atem's bloodline? He is the reincarnation of Atem, but it doesn't mean they are related(*cough*Siamun*cough*).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yukai5



Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
yukai5 wrote:
Maybe they want a change to bring the cape idea back, or have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was.


Well, if thats the case, he better be the best duelist ever right out the gate(wouldn't want to be like Yuma and lose 20 duels in a row lol). Who said Yugi was part of Atem's bloodline? He is the reincarnation of Atem, but it doesn't mean they are related(*cough*Siamun*cough*).


That is true, however some people do think that Yugi is Atem's direct desentant, as well as Ishizu (Isis), Kaiba (Seto) Shada (Shadi....though theroticly they are the same) and Grandpa (Shimon). However, despite appearances, there is no official backstory about why the look like the past counterparts (or there is backstory....but I keep missing it).

For the new main lead....I totally agree with that. And I also hope that he is better that Yuma too (20 duels in a ROW???? That....wow...I don't really watch Zexal that much but even that probally destroyed Jonouchi's/Joey's record so much lol)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
KH91 wrote:
yukai5 wrote:
Maybe they want a change to bring the cape idea back, or have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was.


Well, if thats the case, he better be the best duelist ever right out the gate(wouldn't want to be like Yuma and lose 20 duels in a row lol). Who said Yugi was part of Atem's bloodline? He is the reincarnation of Atem, but it doesn't mean they are related(*cough*Siamun*cough*).


That is true, however some people do think that Yugi is Atem's direct desentant, as well as Ishizu (Isis), Kaiba (Seto) Shada (Shadi....though theroticly they are the same) and Grandpa (Shimon). However, despite appearances, there is no official backstory about why the look like the past counterparts (or there is backstory....but I keep missing it).

For the new main lead....I totally agree with that. And I also hope that he is better that Yuma too (20 duels in a ROW???? That....wow...I don't really watch Zexal that much but even that probally destroyed Jonouchi's/Joey's record so much lol)


I know people have opinions, but the way you stated "have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was." sounds and looks more like a fact when it was not stated. They are just reincarnations(as far as we know), though, spoiler[one could make an argument for Kaiba since Seto was the only one to live].

There is official backstory on why they look like their past selves. In Episode 198, spoiler[Grandpa tells Yugi of the time he went to Egypt and found the puzzle. Long story short, Sugoroku was about to fall to his death, but Atem appears and says "I've been waiting for you Siamun/Shimon."] So yeah, its the destiny/fate excuse, which makes sense. lol

Jounouchi may have the "dignity of the retarded," but he's way better than Yuma. lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 1016
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
Maybe they want a change to bring the cape idea back, or have him as part of Atem's bloodline, just as Yugi was. And I really hoping that they don't add on a new type of card to the game.....having 6 kinds of monster cards is more than enough.

And why they haven't though of putting a female lead? I don't mind males being leads, however, I want to have females to say "hey look, there is something that we relate to, and a game we can play!" though girls does play the game in reality.


Because they're marketing to boys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 1016
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
yukai5 wrote:
4KidsFan wrote:
I've been wanting there to finally be a female lead too if they were going to do another show. We had four shows with male leads so far so it's about time they threw in a female for a new show. I guess they didn't want to go that route but it sure as heck would have been fresh and help bring in a female audience to the game.


That's what I'm thinking too.

Davy0 wrote:
Maybe the heart of the cards hates women? Notice how there are many more male characters than female characters in all the Yu-gi-oh franchises and how all the male characters seen to be pretty-boys. Yep. Heart of the Cards is gay.


Correction. 4 out of 6 are Pretty Boys (or classed as sexy), 1 out of 6 is cute (come on, if you were a girl, you know what I mean) and the remainder comes from a totally different universe with NO clothes on (yes i know the back story with that but still). But that's my opinion on that matter.

Guile wrote:
This mindset of 'it needs a female main character to appeal to females' does not have as much weight in Japan as it does in American cartoons given the inclusion that media in Japan can capitalize on the sexuality of the characters where as American cartoons can not. Yu-Gi-Oh is extremely popular with females in Japan in the same way shows like Hitman Reborn and Kuroko no Basket are despite all of them being shonen series aimed at boys featuring primarily a male cast. The characters are extremely popular with fujoshi to the point of hundreds of doujinshi being produced about them and that is the main draw of the series for girls. To put it bluntly, putting a female lead in Yu-Gi-Oh would actually decrease the female fanbase than if they left it as is, as would be the case for a lot of shonen properties.


I get what you mean, and totally agree 100% (I mean, the first kick a$$ female duelist was Mai). I'm just saying on an English (actually Kiwi but English is my first language here) girl point of view that there should be a female lead for girls to look up to, despite the HUGE chance of fanservice, sexual pics (yes they are still around) etc with the older audience. On the flip side of this, they will focus more about the clothes they are wearing, or how sexy the character is etc, so there is more than a risk of decreasing numbers if they go ahead on this, plus showing that its ok to wear skimpy clothing (which the censorship in America does a good job changing the clothing, much to the disgust of the older audience). I know this is going a bit back of what I said earlier but this is how I feel.


Do kids actually care about the surface characteristics of the characters they look up to? I know as a kid, I never thought: "I can't look up to Kim Possible because she's a girl!" Or "I can't look up to Omi because he's asian!" (Xiaolin Showdown) Don't adults make a bigger deal out of this stuff than kids do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
EnigmaticSky



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 746
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
I swear to god if they make another broken kind of monster card... Synchro's messed the game up enough, and xyz whatevers just completely destroyed it. You have decks that essentially use half their deck in one turn now; one card allows you to get a card from your deck, which you can discard to special summon, which you use to xyz, and you detach a material to send a card to the grave, which allows you to special summon another blah blah blah. I miss back when Yugi just had a cool combo or two each game and just summoning a card in defense position and setting a trap card face down was a perfectly good play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malvarez1



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 958
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I hope this one is more like 5D's than Zexal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azure-Wind91



Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I hope this one is more like 5D's than Zexal.

Agreed. What I really want is for the characters to be older again. (and maybe a return of Synchro Monsters)


Last edited by Azure-Wind91 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group