• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Cool Japan" Initiative Gets Government Investment Fund

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Well that's a good move, I hope Japan can try to push "Cool Japan" to the same level like Korea did for the Hallyu Wave. I hope this mean we can see not only anime and manga, but also J-dramas can get more exposure outside of Asia (meaning seeing more J-dramas on Dramafever and Viki). I hope this include pushing more J-pop music outside of Japan and Asia because K-pop is getting more mainstream exposure in the western world like for example, yesterday Fuse TV just gave MAMA 2013 and K-pop attention, Fuse TV previously gave K-pop mainstream attention after Gangnam Style and we all recall Girls Generation winning YTMA not long ago. So this is giving K-pop more exposure, I'm hoping this could push J-pop to focus more globally. If Japan and "Cool Japan" does this correctly, then Japan may have it's own Hallyu Wave.

Also I want to note, other Asian countries may try to replicate it's own Hallyu. Taiwan looks like they may try to do that:

Taiwanese govt to upgrade pop music industry

Taiwan Today-ROC Cabinet spurs cultural and creative development

Billboard Biz: Taiwan music industry sharing similar ambition to South Korea when it comes to pop music

I'm seeing more Taiwanese dramas on Dramafever and Viki, and only quite a few J-dramas (although there is some coming, but I want to see more to see if "Cool Japan" is really to be effective like this article said).

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
"Cool Japan" is a really misguided program. It's meant to bring in lots of foreigners to attract them to tourist spots and promote Japan around the world, but as much as I love anime and manga and Japanese entertainment and multi-media culture and ultra-traditional aspects of its city life, I know that not a single other person I know who doesn't already share my interests even cares about any of that stuff. When they think of Japan, they think of a country of Japanese people with traditional values that were stereotyped over 50 years ago or they talk about sushi or something. If Japan wants to reach out to the world, it needs to use technology or global advances of some kind, like it did years ago before the bubble collapsed. Is it economically reasonable? That's really up in the air, depending on the solution itself. But really, advertising a country by the merit of its cartoons and comics is about as appealing to casuals in the West as sports is appealing to me. :/

It just seems to me they want and/or need the attention they had long ago, when Japan WAS a "cool" thing. And it's not just going to come out of nowhere. People need reasons to travel to a country known for its natural disasters (especially recently) and its harsh working conditions and such. Capsule hotels? They sound cool, but it's more of a scary concept than it is actually "cool" to most people here. If anything, the stuff is "fascinating," but too far a world for most Westerners to understand or truly care about seeing with their own eyes in today's world.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
The concept of Cool Japan is sound, but the problem is that when it come to Government money being handed out... well who knows if they honestly are getting a return on the financial investment.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
Like all government instigated programs, "Cool Japan" seems like a kernel of usefulness surrounded by a ton of inefficiencies and an obvious disconnect from the population. Meiji Uni getting anime and manga classes is awesome, but you know it's going to be accompanied by a ton of wasteful spending in other areas. I just hope the program only gets as much support as the people of Japan see fit.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
People in Japan think it's a waste of taxpayers' money and instead should leave it to private enterprises to take the lead. Still, Japan has an inherent problem that much of its popular stuff aren't suitable for mass export.

Juno016 wrote:

Capsule hotels? They sound cool, but it's more of a scary concept than it is actually "cool" to most people here. If anything, the stuff is "fascinating," but too far a world for most Westerners to understand or truly care about seeing with their own eyes in today's world.

"Japan’s coolest capsule hotel to close: Last chance to experience sleeping in the future!"

• Capsule hotels, the uniquely Japanese accommodation solution no doubt on every Japanophile’s to-do list, have never really caught on outside of their homeland. Whether it’s down to individuals’ ideas of what constitutes comfort and privacy, or simply the fact that so many Westerners freak out at the very thought of climbing into a space resembling something between a spaceship escape pod and a coffin, most capsule startups outside of Japan have failed. While these unique hotels continue to serve those who are on a budget or simply too intoxicated to make it home safely, and show no signs of disappearing from Japan’s cityscapes any time soon, it is with deep regret that we bring you news today that Kyoto’s Nine Hours, arguably the coolest and most modern capsule hotel in the country, is to close.

• The concept having existed since 1979, many capsule hotels built in cities such as Tokyo and Osaka in the 1980s are now decidedly grubby and in dire need of a facelift. Frequented mainly by middle-aged men, even the handful of capsule hotels that offer unisex accommodation are rarely visited by women, and are seen as something as a last resort rest-house by most Japanese. Kyoto’s Nine Hours, on the other hand, is a positive haven for tired tourists and upstanding businesspeople alike, and far from a place that anyone, male or female, should hesitate to enter.

Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Well, I certainly can't see why anyone wouldn't want to sleep in a hotel that had more in common with a Morgue than any other kind of accommodation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Well, I certainly can't see why anyone wouldn't want to sleep in a hotel that had more in common with a Morgue than any other kind of accommodation.

Imagine the affordable accommodation around anime conventions!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
^ I would never have thought tourists would be interested in capsule hotels but I have seen travel reports where people did just that.

In Japan now but I opted for a budget Ryokan.

So the government doesn't need to convince me that Japan is cool. Smile
iamadooddood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
10 billion yen (about US$100,000)
Quote:
50 billion yen (US$500,000)
Quote:
460 trillion yen (US$462 million)

Something doesn't add up.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

I'm with you on this one. I'd like some room to move... And some oxygen please.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
As a government official from Outbreak Company said, having the government promote anime and manga will end badly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
As a government official from Outbreak Company said, having the government promote anime and manga will end badly.

That will depend on how Japan govt know how to effectively pull this off. It work for Korea and look where K-dramas and K-pop is right now. If Japan can pull this off the right way and correctly, then maybe anime and manga will have another golden age and Japan may end up having it's own Hallyu.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
There are a number of problems with Cool Japan, starting with the fact that the government ministers involved in promoting it aside from Aso are a bunch of old curmudgeons who wouldn't know cool if it bit them. Most of them are tangentially aware that foreigners enjoy anime and such, and are keen to tap that interest economically, but they don't understand the first thing about the subject.

Fortunately, they're smart enough to realize this and go looking for experts. Unfortunately, the council they've selected is made up of similarly crusty old executives and traditional cultural representatives who are more interested in improving the bottom line of their own companies than helping budding artists and entrepreneurs get ahead on the international market, and are themselves largely removed from the aspects of Japanese pop culture that resonate overseas.

Where are the representatives of J-rock labels? Sci-fi authors? Cutting-edge manga-ka? Software engineers? AKB48 and tea ceremony are about as interesting to most Westerners as Ukiyo-e. The closest thing they have to someone who has knowledge of material that would appeal to a sizeable foreign audience is the head of Kadokawa, but he's many steps removed from their publishing division and I'm not sure he has the background to really know what is and isn't marketable overseas.

It's great that the Japanese government wants to invest in their cultural capital, but if they want that money put to good use, they need it to be directed by a larger body with a better understanding of what is truly popular, both in Japan and in the wider world, that can see to it that the money benefits the Japanese tourism and entertainment industry as a whole, rather than just to prop up the poorly planned attempts by council members to market their own company's products.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
There are a number of problems with Cool Japan, starting with the fact that the government ministers involved in promoting it aside from Aso are a bunch of old curmudgeons who wouldn't know cool if it bit them. Most of them are tangentially aware that foreigners enjoy anime and such, and are keen to tap that interest economically, but they don't understand the first thing about the subject.

Fortunately, they're smart enough to realize this and go looking for experts. Unfortunately, the council they've selected is made up of similarly crusty old executives and traditional cultural representatives who are more interested in improving the bottom line of their own companies than helping budding artists and entrepreneurs get ahead on the international market, and are themselves largely removed from the aspects of Japanese pop culture that resonate overseas.

Yep and most of them don't have a lot of knowledge about globalization. That's why Japan is different from Korea and Taiwan when it comes to globalization and the internet. That's why Wi-fi is hard to find in Japan (although I heard free wifi in Japan has increased a bit, for tourist only), when in South Korea and Taiwan, free wi-fi is easy to find. It doesn't help that Japan doesn't embraced digital music market as Answerman talked about it. I'll quote the important part:

Justin "Answerman" Servakis wrote:

Chris asks:

You can find anime cover songs on iTunes pretty easily (and even some theme songs, albeit completely divorced from their anime of origin), but why are so few actual anime soundtracks on there? They're not even on the Japanese iTunes store, I checked.

If there's one place where Japanese and American media are completely divergent, it's music. Japan's music industry is a bizarre, frustrating collection of old-school publishers, talent agencies, yakuza, talent agencies that act like yakuza, and all sorts of other characters that often don't play nice with each other, let alone foreign companies. They move slowly, don't adapt to internet culture well (or at all), and attach themselves onto inane rules that seem to have no basis in reality, and won't bend for anyone. It's one of many reasons why so few Japanese musical acts have ever hit outside of Asia.

That little consumer revolution didn't really happen in Japan the same way it did here. Japan has had its issues with piracy, but it never completely took over the market like it did here. Japanese publishers relied more on collectors than casual music consumers, and simply didn't need a savior.

And so, things haven't changed over there nearly as much. People still buy a LOT of CDs, and as evidence, there are still quite a few CD stores, including chains like Tower Records and HMV that have long since died out on this side of the Pacific. Japanese record labels and talent agencies still hold tightly onto business practices and rules that seem to ignore the very existence of the internet.

You remember that law Japan passed that restrict music downloading? This has a negative effect on music sales in Japan which ANN reported on.

Quote:
Where are the representatives of J-rock labels? Sci-fi authors? Cutting-edge manga-ka? Software engineers? AKB48 and tea ceremony are about as interesting to most Westerners as Ukiyo-e. The closest thing they have to someone who has knowledge of material that would appeal to a sizeable foreign audience is the head of Kadokawa, but he's many steps removed from their publishing division and I'm not sure he has the background to really know what is and isn't marketable overseas.

It's great that the Japanese government wants to invest in their cultural capital, but if they want that money put to good use, they need it to be directed by a larger body with a better understanding of what is truly popular, both in Japan and in the wider world, that can see to it that the money benefits the Japanese tourism and entertainment industry as a whole, rather than just to prop up the poorly planned attempts by council members to market their own company's products.

Well a few months ago (in April), there was a committee conference set up to talk about internationalize and globalize Japanese pop culture. I can't say what comes out of this will work, but I'll agreed with you that many companies in Japan need young people and young people that understand globalization and has interact people around the world so they'll know how to market that product for people outside of Japan. That's how "Cool Japan" can be pull off effectively.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

That will depend on how Japan govt know how to effectively pull this off. It work for Korea and look where K-dramas and K-pop is right now. If Japan can pull this off the right way and correctly, then maybe anime and manga will have another golden age and Japan may end up having it's own Hallyu.

That's a half misconception. Korea is doing now what Japan did in the 70-80's, where they successfully spread their entertainment around East Asia. Korea has been spreading its entertainment around East Asia now, too, for the past 10 years. Recent waves in the West have been those little bumps of interest that hit the internet, but don't really translate much beyond one or two songs. It's not that much bigger than anime and manga and such yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3