• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, December 29-January 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
I like how AoA just tacks on another $100 for the Blu-ray of Fate-/zero... Evil or Very Mad
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I like how AoA just tacks on another $100 for the Blu-ray of Fate-/zero... Evil or Very Mad

God, I know! It's outrageous! Though it is to combat reverse importing, it still makes me cry. And I really want to complete my Monogatari series blu-rays but so far I have only gotten the first set. (And I must say, I love the audio commentary)
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
Whew! I'm so glad they're putting out more of the Trigun omnibuses.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
No matter which way I put I can't not think of the sub only release of OniAi as a middle finger to the people who wanted a dub.

It's not like it would be too difficult to dub or anything. They don't seem like they're willing to dub Tatami Galaxy despite having the license so why didn't they give the first sub only release to that instead?

It's almost as if the only ecchi anime that get decent English dubs are the ones I don't like or have no interest in ever watching.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Meanwhile Sentai will charge you 59.99$ for a barebones release.

Yeah, i'd rather buy one good quality product rather than three dull ones Rolling Eyes .
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
yeah we get it man
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Meanwhile Sentai will charge you 59.99$ for a barebones release.

Yeah, i'd rather buy one good quality product rather than three dull ones Rolling Eyes .

Meanwhile Funimation will only charge you $100 for a 22 episode Blu-ray Limited Edition release including a lot of extras and a full soundtrack and still give you the option to get the standard edition for less than $70. THAT is what I'm talking about. Surprised

I appreciate the good quality(most of the time) of AoA releases and have absolutely nothing against lots of extras, but to be honest, I'd rather at least have the option to buy the standard edition without waiting years and years. I can only afford so many $300 series every year and given how much anime I watch, if more than a few of the very best are running that much, I'm either going to starve for a while, or, god-forbid, I'm going to have to skip buying something that I really want. Anime cry

Quote:
God, I know! It's outrageous! Though it is to combat reverse importing, it still makes me cry. And I really want to complete my Monogatari series blu-rays but so far I have only gotten the first set. (And I must say, I love the audio commentary)

Yeah, it makes sense from a business standpoint unfortunately... but it sure sucks. I'm having a hell of a time choosing between Fate/Zero and Madoka right now... It would be really nice if we could at least choose which extras came with the show... I already have a couple of the extras for Fate/Zero, so it would be awesome if I could personalize my limited edition with an artbook or something... I know that is a pipe-dream, but it would be cool nonetheless. [/quote]
filmftw1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Despite the high prices... these sets are HIGH-QUALITY. No really, I have the first set (2nd shipped) and just.... WOW. BEST ANIME BOX SET EVER! (so far in my collection) The artwork, box, and features: top notch! Realized that the Video and Japanese audio are direct copies of the Japanese import (bit rates are consistently High! Funi/Sentai's encodes are variable, along with cramming too many episodes). Long story short: Jaw-dropping Picture and Sound (for original. Dub sadly gets lossy quality, but at least it's the dub getting that treatment.) The OST CD (one of 2 cds, with 2nd in 2nd box set) is terrific! Haven't fully seen the interview disc, though it was made in 2013, so it could be an American Exclusive. If Aniplex were to re-release the show with a lower price, it would have less than the limited edition.
I do not have the 2nd box yet, but assuming otherwise, it would be similar to the first set.

And yes, I had seen the show beforehand before ending up buying, so it'll be ~300 dollars definitely well spent. ... but still, the price is very absurd. Yet I love the show so much, thus I made an exception on my spending.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
filmftw1 wrote:

Despite the high prices... these sets are HIGH-QUALITY. No really, I have the first set (2nd shipped) and just.... WOW. BEST ANIME BOX SET EVER! (so far in my collection) The artwork, box, and features: top notch! Realized that the Video and Japanese audio are direct copies of the Japanese import (bit rates are consistently High! Funi/Sentai's encodes are variable, along with cramming too many episodes). Long story short: Jaw-dropping Picture and Sound (for original. Dub sadly gets lossy quality, but at least it's the dub getting that treatment.) The OST CD (one of 2 cds, with 2nd in 2nd box set) is terrific! Haven't fully seen the interview disc, though it was made in 2013, so it could be an American Exclusive. If Aniplex were to re-release the show with a lower price, it would have less than the limited edition.
I do not have the 2nd box yet, but assuming otherwise, it would be similar to the first set.

And yes, I had seen the show beforehand before ending up buying, so it'll be ~300 dollars definitely well spent. ... but still, the price is very absurd. Yet I love the show so much, thus I made an exception on my spending.

It sounds like fantastic quality. I'm glad to hear a buyers opinion on it. I have also seen the series and love it, but now it is just a matter of whether I can do the same and splurge, or not. Given the time of year among other things, my finances aren't too great right now, so it would be tough to drop that much on a single show. Especially since I want Madoka just as much...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1