• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RTO - In the Knight Kitchen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Immortal rain awesome but tokyo pop stopped it before they died at 8 volumes animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-11-04

There's also Gakuen alice which was a long running treat to the younger girls and only 18 out of 30 made it to the us with tokyo pop's death manga#4716
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
whereas at Emanga you'll own it forever

Clarification. Does this mean "you own it forever... as a lease, until we go bust and take our site offline," or does it mean "here, have a download, when we say you own it we're just not giving a marketing speech?"
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Quote:
whereas at Emanga you'll own it forever

Clarification. Does this mean "you own it forever... as a lease, until we go bust and take our site offline," or does it mean "here, have a download, when we say you own it we're just not giving a marketing speech?"

It's a download, so you actually do have it in the format of your choice - pdf, kindle, whatever. They charge a little bit extra to get it in multiple formats, so you could technically have it both on your e-reader and your computer.

KidaYuki, thanks for the suggestions! I loved both of those series and will put them on my to do list!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking "The Unfinished" section. Interesting to think back to titles I saw in the bookstores years ago and know they never were completely released.

Ah, the TP titles that will never seen completion on these shores...There are a few series that stand no chance, especially manhwa/manhua. I have their first volume of Martin & John, and wish I could get more. Especially The Embalmer, which they ceased publishing long before shut down due to its poor sales.

I'm still holding out hope for Saiyuki, considering it was apparently one of their better sellers, and a handful they licensed but released nothing of.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Go with Narutaru for the next Unfinished. Smile
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I have three big ones for Unfinished - Gintama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Reborn!, all of which were very popular Shonen Jump manga in Japan, but I guess didn't catch on here.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I have three big ones for Unfinished - Gintama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Reborn!, all of which were very popular Shonen Jump manga in Japan, but I guess didn't catch on here.

In JoJo's case, I've heard that there were only plans to license the Stardust Crusader's arc--the others would have been brought over in case JoJo did well enough. It didn't. JoJo's just a little too "weird" for the States.

As for Gintama... eh, it's a gag manga. Those never do well Stateside.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Jojo's and Narutaru would make great unfinished candidates
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Unfinished Manga? Oh man, that will give you plenty of content.

The ones that bug me the most are Yozakura Quartet and Shrine of the Morning Mist, especially the latter. Tokyopop only published four volumes and ended on such a massive cliff-hanger that it makes my teeth grind uncontrollably to not know what happens next.

I certainly second JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gintama, and Immortal Rain, and would add Fist of the North Star, Baki the Grappler, Revenge of the Mouflon, City Hunter, and Saiyuki (Journey to the Extreme).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
An unfinished manga I really enjoyed was GoComi's Canterella. I have all ten volumes and would love to have the rest. But it looks like it's never getting rescued. Guess I'll have to look for the scans, if they even exist. Crying or Very sad
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Unfinished manga...oh, boy...

The ones that really burned me to not see completed include:

--Strawberry 100% (Viz dropped it with only a few vol left)

--Inubaka: Crazy About Dogs (another Viz drop; likely poor sales)

--Suzuka (Del Rey halted it due to poor sales/Kodansha transition, and it was never resumed, again just a few volumes shy of completion)

--Pastel (another poor sales Del Rey drop, but nowhere near completion...stopped after Vol. 14/15 here, but still continuing in Japan, or was until recently (not sure))

--Couple (this was a Korean manhwa from CPM, which got 3 of it's 4 volumes released before being dropped for lack of sales & CPM subsequently shutting down...being a manhwa, scans are a lot harder to come by just to finish reading the story)

--Futari H / Manga Sutra (being released by Tokyopop in 2-Japanese-volumes-to-one-US-volume chunks, stopped after 3-4 vol. due to poor sales/Tokyopop's death)
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm not a fan of the series, Ghost Hunt is another good example for Unfinished. I believe they left it with only one volume unpublished over here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Some of the best, most memorable manga remain sadly unfinished here (or maybe their incomplete state is why I remember them so clearly). One of my favorite shojo manga, Apothecarius Argentum was released by CMX until DC shuttered their doors. Song of the Hanging Sky was another good shojo.
Alive: The Final Evolution and Moyashimon are shonen and seinen, respectively, and both were published by Del Rey before they became Kodansha Comics.

Would you also consider writing about out-of-print manga? Viz has been pretty good about releasing some of their older shojo titles digitally lately, maybe some attention will convince them to release some more of their backlog.

Love the your take on the column! Will it be weekly now?

I'm not a yaoi fan, but that manga sounds hilarious. Is it censored? I'm trying to decide if it would be funnier censored (but genital perfection and disease are so important to the plot!) or uncensored (how does one draw the "perfect" penis?)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Agent355! It's going to stay bi-weekly for the time being - I certainly read enough for a weekly, but I'm not sure I could maintain it with grading papers and other fun things from my Other Life. (The joys of teaching English...) I may go into some of the out-of-print stuff, though - I'm still kind of miffed that Viz hasn't released some of their older shoujo titles as 3-in-1s, like From Far Away, Red River, or Hana Yori Dango.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, everyone! I've got them on a list by my computer so that I can make use of them. I was actually going to go with Aria for this column, but then I really wanted to make the bad Maurice Sendak joke for the title. Embarassed

Oh, and as for censoring in the yaoi - it's not censored per se, as in bits are blocked out, but she did save herself the task of drawing the perfect penis. I kind of like leaving it to the imagination, but it would have been funny to see her try to draw it, presumably with sparkles and magic shoujo flowers. Wink
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Awww man, I have so many incomplete titles in my collection. Looking at my Nodame Cantabile volumes makes me sad Sad

I'd love some 3 in 1 releases of Viz's older shojo stuff too. I would love to own Basara, but I know it's not worth even trying to find volumes 19 and 20.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2