• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii Criticizes Current State of 3D Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I assume where the article stated, "..., and cuts in 3D films compared to 3D.", it was meant to be, ", and cuts in 3D films compared to 2D".
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to the movies in years (but I did see Avatar) and I agree the 3D gimmick is annoying and makes the movie all blurry and darker. Hate it. It doesn't add anything other than gimmicks to the film
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood loves 3D. Maybe they think that the reading level of Americans is pop-up books, because that is what 3D looks like to me.

Anime dazed
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I haven't been to the movies in years (but I did see Avatar) and I agree the 3D gimmick is annoying and makes the movie all blurry and darker. Hate it. It doesn't add anything other than gimmicks to the film

you sir are my hero, i really do have to agree. I will say one thing however is there really a need for hentai in 3d? "I am not talking about ecchi shows at that, I mean full blown ova's like space pirate Sara"

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Isn't...Isn't he making two 3D movies with the revamped GitS Movie and a Cyborg 009-1 project?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
While I do like the concept of 3D, I don't think it needs to be applied to everything. I think it should stick to certain types of movies, and sporting events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Oshii 150%. 3D is just a gimmick for Hollywood to artificially inflate box office takes. Whenever I have the choice, I always see the 2D version and keep the extra money in my pocket to, I don't know, SEE ANOTHER MOVIE?

As for movies on cell phones: I go to the movies so I can see it on a huge frikkin' screen, and watching movies on a cell phone kills the epic portion of seeing a movie. Believe me, the large screen experience is about all some movies have going for them.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While Oshii praised the work of James Cameron's Avatar he commented that "of the various 3D movies that have opened, the only successful one in terms of technical direction currently is Avatar."

Sank yuu Kyaaputen Obvious. Really, the only movie that was actually shot in 3D is the only one that achieves the effect well? Do go on.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I will say one thing however is there really a need for hentai in 3d? "I am not talking about ecchi shows at that, I mean full blown ova's like space pirate Sara"

That I'd like to see. Get Murakami to direct it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Roger Ebert has written some great articles on why 3-D movies suck. Here a recent one that explains why movies look so much darker these days:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/05/the_dying_of_the_light.html

So not only is 3-D screwing stuff up for people, like me, that can't watch it without getting a head ache, it's no screwing stuff up for people that watch 2-d movies as well. Fortunately, I wait until it comes out on Netflix anyway.
ommadon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm still skeptical of 3D. I didn't care for it in avatar, though it seemed to have been executed well. Here is an interview from G4 that enlightened me a little. http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53047/star-wars-3d-with-george-lucas-tom-fitzgerald/

I suppose in the hands of capable and creative crews 3D could be worth watching. As for headaches, well after having broken bones and having terrible migraines and hangovers I guess I have a high tolerance for the pain everyone else complains about.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
ommadon wrote:
I'm still skeptical of 3D. I didn't care for it in avatar, though it seemed to have been executed well. Here is an interview from G4 that enlightened me a little. http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53047/star-wars-3d-with-george-lucas-tom-fitzgerald/

I suppose in the hands of capable and creative crews 3D could be worth watching. As for headaches, well after having broken bones and having terrible migraines and hangovers I guess I have a high tolerance for the pain everyone else complains about.

that's the thing it's not really pain for me, it makes me sick. I honestly tried to play the 3ds and could only stand it for 10 minutes on full blast "3d" then I just puked all over the display at game-stop.... yeah moving on I am not going to say 3d is initially stupid I can not watch it nor will I ever be able to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Hollywood loves 3D. Maybe they think that the reading level of Americans is pop-up books, because that is what 3D looks like to me.

Studios like 3D because (1) it increases the ticket price, (2) it's harder to pirate, and (3) it is a new gimmick to get people out of their home theater dens into movie theaters.

If ya think that's yet another gimmick, some of the other famous gimmicks include T-H-X Surround System and, when TVs started getting popular and its 4:3 screen resolution, in order to compete and get people to watch what they can't in their home TVs, movies expanded into 16:9 or greater panorama resolutions.

So, you're 16:9 HDTVs and 7.1 surround systems, you can blame on the gimmicks. Laughing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Studios like 3D because (1) it increases the ticket price, (2) it's harder to pirate, and (3) it is a new gimmick to get people out of their home theater dens into movie theaters.

If ya think that's yet another gimmick, some of the other famous gimmicks include T-H-X Surround System and, when TVs started getting popular and its 4:3 screen resolution, in order to compete and get people to watch what they can't in their home TVs, movies expanded into 16:9 or greater panorama resolutions.

So, you're 16:9 HDTVs and 7.1 surround systems, you can blame on the gimmicks. Laughing

huh? gimmick or not, it still looks like a pop-up book to me....
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not crazy about every movie being in 3D either. So I wouldn't blame Mr. Oshii for his opinion on the matter.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
the last 3D movie I'll probably ever see was Tron ... I can't stand those glasses they give you.

And then there's that concept of filming in regular format and then .. ugh .. converting to 3D. That's when you know the gimmick exits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2