• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nisekoi/My Love Story Special Published in Viz's Shonen Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Alright crossover chapter of nisekoi and ore monogatari. Surprised people on the issue comments today expressed commentary that romance has no place in shonen jump, as if implying that shonen targetted series cant be romances.

I hope viz jump continues to add more one shots, though hopefully in a more timely manner (two weeks now since the one shot from the psyren writer was published in jpn jump for example, and nothing on it from our english jump, additionally still waiting for DRUMP, from the yugioh writer to be in our english jump too...)
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Alright crossover chapter of nisekoi and ore monogatari. Surprised people on the issue comments today expressed commentary that romance has no place in shonen jump, as if implying that shonen targetted series can't be romances.

I hope viz jump continues to add more one shots, though hopefully in a more timely manner (two weeks now since the one shot from the psyren writer was published in jpn jump for example, and nothing on it from our english jump, additionally still waiting for DRUMP, from the yugioh writer to be in our english jump too...)

I have a sneaking suspicion that has to do with the fact it's geared towards girls. One of the comments wreaked of misogyny.
I hope WSJ adds Shojo/Josei manga. It'd be great especially since Shojo Beat ended.
I hope we see more manga one-shots in the magazine. That market is really underserved in North America.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I hope WSJ adds Shojo/Josei manga. It'd be great especially since Shojo Beat ended.
I hope we see more manga one-shots in the magazine. That market is really underserved in North America.

I wouldn't want or expect more shoujo/josei content in Jump, because Jump is meant for shounen content (a crossover thing like this is a different story, and this series in particular I think may have greater appeal to readers of shounen manga than the typical sparkly shoujo romance).

It might be cool to have an online shoujo magazine equivalent to WSJ, but I prefer reading my manga in volumes rather than following serialized chapters anyway.

I hope to see these crossover chapters in print form at some point—I'm buying both series (eagerly waiting for the first vol of My Love Story), so it would be a nice bonus in one of their books!
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
I was really happy that Viz included this preview chapter! I was curious about this manga anyway, and it was nice to get a look at it in something I was already subscribed to.

I guess my feeling is that the argument that shojo/josei has no place in Viz's Jump because it's a shonen magazine would make more sense if we had a bunch of different options for serialized manga magazines, like they do in Japan. But at the moment this is really the only option, so I think it's a great platform for Viz to preview some of their new titles.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I read the first chapter of my love story in otaku USA and am bet excited to read it
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Saw a preview of My Love Story in Otaku USA, and I loved it! Now I know to check this out, even though I don't like Nisekoi...even though it is a romantic comedy...in Shonen Jump. Who's saying romance has no place in the magazine? It can't be Nisekoi fans!
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nisokoi is pretty damned awful IMHO. It's the only thing I skim read each week. My Love Story seems much more geared toward my taste (i.e. No peadophilic teachers or mysogynistic main characters. Yet.) with much superior art.

Still hoping for the One Piece/Toriko crossover though...
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
My scathing Nisekoi commentary...

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1