• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xseed Brings Corpse Party Horror Game to iOS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Horror's not my thing, but we desperately need for this to work, to prove that there's a market here for good VNs (especially with quality translations and not that Google Translate shit that Alice in the Heart tried to pull a few weeks back). Problem is, almost nobody is willing to pay anything for iOS apps anymore, outside of the whales who keep Clash Of Clans and Candy Crush saga going with in-app purchases.

I really can't see this ending well, sadly.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
No android no buy, Will wait for the steam release.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
The trendy disposable ios crowd do not play these types of games. What a gamble. 6 people will be happy.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
Ah, I'd buy if it was android.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:

FWIW, I'm an iOS developer, and I know a lot of colleagues who've heard the demands to port stuff to Android, but when they do, nobody buys it (at best, it gets massively pirated). These are both serious problems on iOS, and they're even worse on Android.

I love that Xseed is charging real money for this, because if enough people buy it maybe we'll get more VNs for mobile. But everyone in this business thinks paid-up-front is dead, and the only way to survive is to squeeze players with freemium/free-to-play exploitation. I'd love for this to prove them wrong, but I don't see it happening.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
cloud8100 wrote:

FWIW, I'm an iOS developer, and I know a lot of colleagues who've heard the demands to port stuff to Android, but when they do, nobody buys it (at best, it gets massively pirated). These are both serious problems on iOS, and they're even worse on Android.

I love that Xseed is charging real money for this, because if enough people buy it maybe we'll get more VNs for mobile. But everyone in this business thinks paid-up-front is dead, and the only way to survive is to squeeze players with freemium/free-to-play exploitation. I'd love for this to prove them wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, its a shame really. I would definitely buy it to support the company if had a device that could play iOS games.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Yeah, its a shame really. I would definitely buy it to support the company if had a device that could play iOS games.

I guess what I'm saying — and I hope I'm not coming off as a troll — that everyone says they'll buy stuff, but the results suggest that not many people really do, particularly on mobile platforms. And that's really hard for companies licensing VNs, which tend to be tiny companies.

As a counter-example, though, Voltage's otome games seem to be doing well, where they sell each route as an in-app purchase. At least well enough that they keep releasing them.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I already have the PSP versions on my Vita. Blood Covered and Book of Shadows are fantastic VNs, with Blood Covered being more interactive in the sense that you have a few challenges that feel like a dungeon crawler in points since it has different challenges such as avoiding the ghosts and finding a certain character to prevent their drowning.

I'd encourage that anyone who doesn't have or want either the PSP or Vita to get it for their IPhone or wait for the computer release (If they're still doing that). However, I'm more interested in Blood Drive and whether we get at least a digital release stateside. :3
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Is this the same version as the psp release or is this that very old version of the game with crappy character art?
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Is this the same version as the psp release or is this that very old version of the game with crappy character art?

This is the PSP version. The version heading for Steam is the PC release that came out a year or two before the PSP version with different art, voice acting, and I think bits of story are changed. (well, since it came first, I guess the PSP version is the one making the changes, but I liked the PSP version better)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
^Thank you. I liked the updated psp version better too!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
cloud8100 wrote:

For me it's all about the price of the game/app and I think that I'll wait until this goes on sale to pick it up. The highest I've ever paid for an game off of itunes is $16. This was for the ios port of chrono trigger and dragon quest 4 which have more content than corpse party does IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
As an iPhone user, who switched from Android, I'm actually pretty happy about this. Both Android and iOS are cluttered with far too many Candy Crush/Angry Birds type games, so it's nice to see something out of the normal.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You can get the first two PSP games for less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1