• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam Game Unveiled for PS4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I was happy to see AGE-1 Normal in the background. Just give the game a dub and I'll buy it.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I wish they showed a more proper trailer with gameplay, Bandai-Namco didn't even try during the Pre-TGS conference and let companies such as Marvelous and SE and even ZUN to take the top rankings. I didn't like the oversaturation of Tecmo-Koei games either, most of them weren't interesting to me.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I was happy to see AGE-1 Normal in the background. Just give the game a dub and I'll buy it.

Don't hold your breath. Gundam games simply do not come out in the West due to low popularity. Even the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series is struggling. Just import it a few months after release to pay around $60 for it rather than $80 due to import fees on release.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Don't hold your breath. Gundam games simply do not come out in the West due to low popularity. Even the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series is struggling. Just import it a few months after release to pay around $60 for it rather than $80 due to import fees on release.

I don't think it was 'low popularity' that caused Gundam (and Bandai Anime) to shut down, especially considering that Gundam Wing is still talked about. Although Gundam Wing haters and fans of other Gundams will cover their ears and go 'LALALALA, NOT TRUE LALALALA' to that statement. It's because Bandai kept making ridiculous business decisions with their anime.

With Gundam in particular, Bandai put all their hopes on Unicorn to keep the franchise alive since 00 left a bad taste in people's mouths because some pr*ck in Japan Shyamalized it with aliens. But sadly, some tw@t at Bandai USA said 'DUUUUUUUUUUH! LET'S CHARGE 65 DOLLARS PER EPISODE" Yeah, it's Blu-ray, yeah, they were an hour long, but 65 bucks?! Come on!

They were getting ready to release Turn A Gundam, why didn't they push for online pre-orders? Tales of the Abyss anime had almost no marketing to it, therefore they could not afford to dub it, despite the success of the game on PS2.

Last edited by the-antihero on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn left a worst taste in my mouth than 00

as far as i'm concerned for a series that they showed in the theaters and took 6+ months for one 50 minute episode that crappy cgi shouldn't have been anywhere near it.

Theres a reason gundam has been hand drawn for like the last 30 years
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I don't think it was 'low popularity' that caused Gundam (and Bandai Anime) to shut down, especially considering that Gundam Wing is still talked about. Although Gundam Wing haters and fans of other Gundams will cover their ears and go 'LALALALA, NOT TRUE LALALALA' to that statement. It's because Bandai kept making ridiculous business decisions with their anime.

With Gundam in particular, Bandai put all their hopes on Unicorn to keep the franchise alive since 00 left a bad taste in people's mouths because some pr*ck in Japan Shyamalized it with aliens. But sadly, some tw@t at Bandai USA said 'DUUUUUUUUUUH! LET'S CHARGE 65 DOLLARS PER EPISODE" Yeah, it's Blu-ray, yeah, they were an hour long.

They were getting ready to release Turn A Gundam, why didn't they push for online pre-orders? Tales of the Abyss anime had almost no marketing to it, therefore they could not afford to dub it, despite the success of the game on PS2.

Not quite. First of all, to the surprise of many, 00 was quite popular overall, and did well in sales numbers. Furthermore, Unicorn was simply distributed by Bandai in affiliation with Honnemise. The pricing and dubbing were not made by Bandai (even now UC is still sold for the same price). Bandai shutting down was for a different reason.

Gundam overall lacks the popularity to justify licensing. In simple terms, it would cost more to buy the distribution license for the Gundam shows than the return on investment from sales. Even now, the Gundam license is awaiting a rescue in NA.

In terms of the game, think about it, why would you license and dub a game that people don't know about? The thing with these types of games is that they rely on the fandom, which is very niche for this franchise in NA. Our best bet is to hope for a Japanese Dub cheap release (that may only be digital). So might as well import instead
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll just ask another question:

Why is Gundam not popular in the US?

As far as science fiction goes, I think Gundam is great. Definitely better than now sh*t franchises like Transformers.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Gundam is'nt popular in the US because it's a giant robot anime and none of the shows besides wing caught people's attention. Sci fi is a hard sell in general. Japanese cartoon sci fi is an even harder sell.

What a terrible showing either way. Last years TGS conference basically had the same trailer only we didn't have pictures of other Gundams. They had a year and this was the best they could whip up. Pretty pathetic.

I wonder if this will end up just being a Vs game. I can't see them doing a complete single player campaign of anything but the UC series honestly. Maybe See, but certainly not that crap known as Age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Gundam is'nt popular in the US because it's a giant robot anime and none of the shows besides wing caught people's attention. Sci fi is a hard sell in general. Japanese cartoon sci fi is an even harder sell.

What a terrible showing either way. Last years TGS conference basically had the same trailer only we didn't have pictures of other Gundams. They had a year and this was the best they could whip up. Pretty pathetic.

I wonder if this will end up just being a Vs game. I can't see them doing a complete single player campaign of anything but the UC series honestly. Maybe See, but certainly not that crap known as Age.

They've pretty much exhausted almost all of UC and it may not be a good idea to try another era after how bad of a job they did with Side Stories. It'll be one of two things, a F2P title (which I'll just skip), or something they'll retool into a game aimed at kids more than a hardcore Japanese gamer. I can't see them doing something like a game adaptation of Advance of Z or anything like that
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Why is Gundam not popular in the US?

That's the million dollar question that all of us would like to know lol
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
lol the bitterness and hatred Gundam always gets on ANN never ceases to amuse me and we haven't even gotten a Penguintruth, Dtm42 or that guy with the Chirico avatar who acts like a tough guy and is always obsessed with grit and violence.

Honestly the real reason Gundam isn't so popular in the west is simple. All of the people it's supposed to appeal to largely just focus their energies on griping about it now instead of just learning to accept it's strengths and shortcomings and roll with it and remember that it's supposed to kind of be enjoyable to watch if you'll actually allow yourself once in a while. That's not to say it shouldn't be criticized like any other franchise, but the gauges and levels of criticism are still way off and have been for over a decade now to the point where it's just come to be the general reaction. Gundam News=Excuse to bitch and complain. That's it in a nutshell and there's plenty of evidence for it.

It's largely the fault of the Western fanbase IMO that it's only really popular in Japan anymore since it has just about proven to be among the most stubborn, un-pleasable and just plain unpleasant out there that scares away new fans and does more of a job of condemning it than speaking for it and spreading it's appeal by word of mouth. Really hard to do much to fix that there aside from just trying to find new audiences which Sunrise is keenly away it needs to keep trying to do if you read staff interviews on some of the more recent entries. Look at the difference with regard to Gundam Build Fighters which I consider the first Gundam series in ages to have a largely readable thread where people actually seem to be enjoying themselves, largely because it's a lot of newbies that don't feel as intimidated by the franchise or it's long standing fans which blew it off.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe one of the factors is that unlike other genres found in anime, sci fi and mechs are pretty strong in the West in other mediums mainly literature and film. I mean take harem, a popular anime genre, how many books in the West or films focus on the topic. But robots and sci fi are pretty common.

That said we did get 3 DW Gundam games, and Crossfire during the last generation.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama

Oh yeah, don't remind me. I still get a-holes having periods over me saying what series I liked or disliked.

Especially G Gundam, some d*ckhead will go as far as to say 'Your opinion is invalid' on anything Gundam-related. Despite the fact that I actually DID give it a chance. Maybe I don't have the sense of humour required to enjoy it, but TS.

Or any mention of AGE will get a reaction from overly butt-hurt whiners despite having ended about 2 YEARS AGO and we have since moved on to BF, Reconguista in G, more of Unicorn.

Tylerr wrote:
Unicorn left a worst taste in my mouth than 00

as far as i'm concerned for a series that they showed in the theaters and took 6+ months for one 50 minute episode that crappy cgi shouldn't have been anywhere near it.

Theres a reason gundam has been hand drawn for like the last 30 years

Come on, mate. Unicorn's CGI really wasn't bad. In fact, it is by far the best CG to blend with 2D as of yet. With the exception of the transformation, the frame rate was almost that of 2D animated figure.

But as far as story goes, not the best of any Gundam series, let alone OVAs, hell, despite it's production value, I think 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory trump it completely. My honest opinion.

Last edited by the-antihero on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
@Kaioshin_Sama

Oh yeah, don't remind me. I still get a-holes having periods over me saying what series I liked or disliked.

Especially G Gundam, some d*ckhead will go as far as to say 'Your opinion is invalid' on anything Gundam-related. Despite the fact that I actually DID give it a chance. Maybe I don't have the sense of humour required to enjoy it, but TS.

Or any mention of AGE will get a reaction from overly butt-hurt sh*ts despite having ended about 2 YEARS AGO and we have since moved on to BF, Reconguista in G, more of Unicorn.

All smack talk language aside (don't worry I find it kind of funny, just had to mention it) I feel like it should be okay to mention and talk about this franchise without feeling like you are stepping on a land mine if you mention certain series and don't exactly parrot the predominant "Common Knowledge" opinion on it's perceived quality and place in the history of the franchise. I get that everyone has their favorites and everyone has their entries they really just dislike (I have them too, not really a big fan of the way AGE turned out or really Seed/Destiny in general), but I just don't feel that things need to get as explosive, argumentative and opinionated as they can get at times. It just strikes me as kind of childish.

Forgetting just AGE, Seed Destiny is now a decade old and pretty much everybody involved still gets shit on for participating in it and it's still very much like an anchor on the franchises potential in the West. Honestly I think so much goes back to that entry as to why there's so much disdain for the franchise and what people think Gundam is like and why it sucks (the whole overpowered robots steamrolling through grunts which the choice of video game releases doesn't help to dispel as a predominant image of the franchise much either). Just as an example of Seed Destinies legacy, because the guy that directed it is listed as a creative producer on the upcoming Sunrise robot anime Cross Ange in Fall discussion and anticipation of the series has been dominated with comparisons to Seed Destiny and that show has been all but attributed to him despite the fact he's just a producer, not a writer or director or anything like that. I mean it could turn out any particular way and there's some things that make me wary as well, but the feeling of DoA as a result of that just strikes me as a little unreasonable.

Honestly a lot of the time I just don't understand some of the things fandom gets fixated on these days. It's like there's just so much cynicism that goes beyond just the general offerings and trends in the industry and like people get bent out of shape and absolutely convinced of certain ideas without much evidence or logical reasoning to support it. It seems particularly predominant as it pertains to sci-fi series too, but yeah...dumb lol.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
DELETED COMMENT

Last edited by the-antihero on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2