• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Kaguya, Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla, Transformers Composers Eligible for Oscars

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Well congrats for all making it on the nomination list. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Jo Hisaishi finally recognized as a composer, although, like Randy Newman, we'd have appreciated it if it was for one of his better earlier works.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Eric: Yeah, I hope he at least gets in. Kaguya's got a great score.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Princess Kaguya IS one of his better works. One of the best scores I've heard in a while.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Princess Kaguya IS one of his better works. One of the best scores I've heard in a while.

(Well, still not the same as if he'd been nominated for Totoro or Robot Carnival...)
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Also have a listen to the Joe Hisaishi performances here:

(only one of them is from anime btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGONWfbUL6E&index=11&list=UUVuoaCv7jaZsjSV-jjlus8w
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, none of them has been nominated yet. They're just eligible to be nominated.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
^ Correct, it's just the "short" list. A "short list" comprising of 114 films.

Even if it's been submitted in multiple categories, I wouldn't expect Princess Kaguya to be nominated for anything besides Best Animated Feature, regardless of how great the score might be.

Edge of Tomorrow was easily my favourite summer movie (of those that I've seen, which wasn't much) this year, but I'd be astonished if it's nominated for anything besides maybe a handful of the technical awards. I don't really remember much of anything about the score, though. (I'll probably buy the Blu-Ray when I can grab it previously-viewed from the one remaining video rental store in my area.)

Never saw Godzilla or Transformers: Age of Extinction and I'm not really in a rush to rent either one let alone listen to the soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's some kind of newage internet self-diagnosed autism, but I almost never notice movie scores because they tend to be incidental without any strong voice of their own. The only that actually stood out this year from all that I watched was Interstellar, and that's thanks to the piano and organ pieces that tie in perfectly with the emotion on the screen. Actually, it's really only been sci-fi scores the struck a cord with me since I remember Prometheus' opening piece that set a mood the movie never quite matched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1