• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Japanese RWBY Fanbook Includes Art From Yoshitoshi Abe, Range Murata, Others

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow I want this. Shocked
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
So many amazingly talented artists...

wasted on such a terrible show. Confused
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I want the artbook. I really like RWBY, and I bought my first figure because of it (Blake Belladonna), and I want to get the rest of the girls (and perhaps JNPR since they just released Jaune). It was my most anticipated weekly show during the summer. The 2nd season really kicked things into gear. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much Warner Brothers paid all of them.
Gonstead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yep, pretty much my exact thoughts.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

It's not the absolute worst. It's better than Beware the Batman for instance.
sharl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
come on guys its pretty good for a web series made from a semi small company. i liked it atleast and im hoping a company in japan will try to make a spinoff of some kind
Kreion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
sharl wrote:
come on guys its pretty good for a web series made from a semi small company. i liked it atleast and im hoping a company in japan will try to make a spinoff of some kind

The company size is irrelevant - the best part of the series is in fact the animation and character design, which is what you would expect to suffer from a small studio.

It's bad because of a poor story, uninspired characters and an overall lack of originality in any area other than the aforementioned ones. The eh voice acting doesn't help of course but really it's a show which manages to capture a massive amount of the least interesting anime tropes, considering 'cutegirlfightingseries' is about as basic as anime can get - and I'm even taking harems into account here.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

It's not the absolute worst. It's better than Beware the Batman for instance.

Better than just about every anime web series ever made, too. Actually, it's better than quite a bit of the big budget anime out there. That's just my opinion of course. I don't really understand the hate, not anime enough I suppose.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in any animation. That kid can really belt them out! I listen to the soundtrack for both seasons pretty regularly.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought the series improved as it went on, and was no worse than Karen Senki (though Karen Senki was maybe more interesting because it left most of the story to the viewer's imagination where RWBY made the mistake of spelling it out in all its not very original detail).

It's a good start. That studio may be producing some pretty good stuff in a few years.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
sharl wrote:
come on guys its pretty good for a web series made from a semi small company.

Rooster Teeth has more employees than a lot of animation companies in Japan do. Not to mention they're on EA, Warner Brothers, and Microsoft's payroll. These are hardly some starving artists making this thing. You should be holding RWBY to a higher standard, not a lower one.

Emerje wrote:
Better than just about every anime web series ever made, too. Actually, it's better than quite a bit of the big budget anime out there.

This sounds too much like over compensation for all the hate RWBY gets. One extreme doesn't cancel out another.

-Stuart Smith
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of idiots will say "I think I'll wait until the Japanese version is out and its subtitled", not realising that two seasons have already been released. I don't usually care between sub or dub; it's just what I can access first. Why even bother waiting?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Rooster Teeth has more employees than a lot of animation companies in Japan do. Not to mention they're on EA, Warner Brothers, and Microsoft's payroll. These are hardly some starving artists making this thing. You should be holding RWBY to a higher standard, not a lower one.

Which would it be if one were to compare them to Gonzo, I wonder? Wink
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I knew RWBY had some fans in Japan, but I didn't know that the Japanese fanbase was big enough to justify putting together an art book. Anyway, I'm really curious as to what Japan thinks of RWBY
n0zer0s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I like RWBY. The story is simple along with the messages it tries to get across to it's viewers (not a tangled mess like some anime i can list). Unlike most shows using CGI, the character have a sense of speed to them when they move and fight. OH and also, the music is awesome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3