• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ef: a fairy tale of the two Manga Will End This Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Kind of amazed there was 10 years of story here, or that the readership stuck around for it. Oh well, I liked the anime, and the VN should be arriving in the mail Real Soon Now.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Had no clue there was an ef manga around, much less that it was still ongoing (until now). I wonder if it actually made the events of melodies more palatable… And necessary…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
For an eroge-based manga, that is an effing (pun intended )long time,
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Had no clue there was an ef manga around, much less that it was still ongoing (until now). I wonder if it actually made the events of melodies more palatable… And necessary…

I'll assume you're disparaging Mizuki/Kuze, because the Yuuko/Yuu storyline is the lynchpin of the entire series.

I'm rewatching the anime now, and I'm enjoying the möbius strip nature of ef, in that the minor characters from Memories become the major characters of Melodies, and vice versa. The pervy neighbor with the collection of sailor suits in season 1 is Kuze, the conveniently-dying musician in season 2, and the cossack-hatted ghost woman who just randomly appears to dispense wisdom… well, best not to give too much away.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
One of my very favorite visual novels/anime. This manga took FOREVER to finish! Never thought I'd see the day when it would.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure this was serialized anywhere. I think it was just published in graphic novel form, maybe one volume a year.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

I'll assume you're disparaging Mizuki/Kuze, because the Yuuko/Yuu storyline is the lynchpin of the entire series.

By "palatable", I did somewhat mean that relationship, though I think I could have bought it a little more (aside from lowering the inherent unease factor) if it didn't feel so rushed and ham-fisted. I really meant the series as a whole, which felt more like a hollow imitation of memories. If it weren't for the fact that both ef tales came from one story, I would have thought that melodies was a cheap attempt at capitalizing on memories' success. Even so, it still managed to feel like the lesser, more artificial, and soapy of the two (although the last two episodes helped redeem it to a certain extent).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1