• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maid Sama! English Dub Cast Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
While I wish the anime had covered the full length of the manga's story, I really loved what the anime did with the material so I'll probably give this dub a go.
InuYashaCrusade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Monica Rial as Misaki made me throw up in my mouth. Another trash Sentai dub. I wish they just left it sub only instead of ruin it with another cheap, crap dub.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Considering that I received this in the mail 3 weeks ago, this isn't much news to me! Laughing

I love how early Sentai release get sent out from rightstuf!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
InuYashaCrusade wrote:
Monica Rial as Misaki made me throw up in my mouth. Another trash Sentai dub. I wish they just left it sub only instead of ruin it with another cheap, crap dub.

Have you seen the dub yet? Have you seen every Sentai dub? If you didn't "yes" to both questions, then I think you can't conclude that it would be trash.
InuYashaCrusade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
InuYashaCrusade wrote:

Have you seen the dub yet? Have you seen every Sentai dub? If you didn't "yes" to both questions, then I think you can't conclude that it would be trash.

Everything that I have ever heard Sentai dub is trash, same with every character Monica Rial has ever dubbed. Overuse voice actors more, Sentai. Keep churning out crap dubs like no tomorrow.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
The Japanese constantly reuse the same seiyuu. I think you should also be complaining about them. I am of the mind that any criticism on Eng. dubs can also be applied to a subbed version.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
I love Maid Sama!, but I wish Sentai wouldn't dub it. I watched one episode of Infinite Stratos dubbed, and Monica Rial ruined it for me. Houki's voice still gives me nightmares.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
I don't trust Sentai dubs anymore (I want to clarify that usually my problem is the ADR direction and script, not the actors), but I like the idea of Rial as Misaki and Matranga as Usui...I might give it a try, at least.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Lol i dont get the hate against Monica... Personaly I love her, she is my favorite VA. But yea we are diffrent people so we like and dislike diffrent things. I love the maid-sama dub, only 5 episodes to go. Just got to wait for the legal Europe release xD.

Also to say every sentai dub is trash is a bit bullshit in my opinion. Ever saw Clannad? Angel Beats? I do agree Sentai delivers less quality then Funimation does but for me still enjoyable. I wish sentai/section23 were still ADV, those dubs were as good as Funimation's quality.

Last edited by TheMorry on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
InuYashaCrusade wrote:

Mysterious GF X was a solid Sentai dub. I was very pleased with it.

Anyway:
I like Monica Rial in the dubbed shows I have on DVD but her as Misaki doesn't do it for me. If memory is correct she has a lower voice and Monica usually does high voice overs. If she does that high voice then it will kill the show. I'm not dumping on her, I just wish Sentai picked someone else. I have the subbed DVD and love it.
Stiles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
I think Monica Rial does a fine job in IS and is quite a good voice actress in general. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Never ceases to amaze me how much some english speaking otaku seem to hate their native tongue.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Now that Sentai's English version of Maid-Sama is here, I can finally re-watch the show! Smile

While I agree that overuse of the same voice actor is somewhat becoming a problem here on the English side, I also agree with Kadmos1 that the Japanese studios are even more prone to doing that. Besides, I'm just satisfied that Emily Neves is directing this show instead of...that other guy.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
While I love Monica and I think she's easily one of the most talented actresses in the voice over field today, this was a complete miscast. They should've done someone with a more sweet voice like Cherami Leigh or Brittney Karbowski. If they did I probably would've given this show another shot.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
I'm usually cautious about Sentai dubs, so I'll reserve judgement until I hear it. Monica Rial (and Luci Christian) have some of the widest ranges out there in Texas, so with proper direction (the lack of which usually what afflicts Sentai dubs), Rial could do a good job.

Nyren wrote:
The only time I've ever been conflicted on a dub choice was Crispin Freeman as Kotomine Kirei in Fate/Zero, a role originally dubbed by Jamieson Price. In my opinion, Price is still the better Kirei and that was a Sentai Dub

The Unlimited Blade Works movie would technically be a Bang Zoom dub commissioned by Sentai Filmworks. And Jamieson Price reprised his role from the first Fate/stay night series, which was licensed by Geneon back in the day.

Last edited by Asrialys on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Nyren wrote:
The only time I've ever been conflicted on a dub choice was Crispin Freeman as Kotomine Kirei in Fate/Zero, a role originally dubbed by Jamieson Price. In my opinion, Price is still the better Kirei and that was a Sentai Dub

The Unlimited Blade Works movie would technically be a Bang Zoom dub commissioned by Sentai Filmworks. And Jamieson Price reprised his role from the first Fate/stay night series, which was licensed by Geneon back in the day.
I keep forgetting about the whole Bang Zoom thing. I typically think the licensee is the one who does the dubbing. Bang Zoom would explain why I liked the Stay Night voices. Funimation uses them more often than not. Though Sentai has a habit of using The Ocean Group for dubs, and their track record is less than stellar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3